Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Paul is dead! Paul is dead!

theMess likes this.
  2. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Do you know for a fact it wasn't done there? I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere they can press parts from elsewhere and have seen some of their work without the stamped matrix. Can't think why it round saw made in Czech Republic if not GZ.

3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I'm sorry if this has been touched upon, but why does Paul pick the particular albums that he chooses for the archive series? I understand releasing the classics, but the others...is it to demand reevaluation? Particularly good outtakes, demos?

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Old man? How old was he in that photo? I thought that the picture must be from the mid-90's, making him in his 50's. Am I wrong?

Johnny Reb likes this.
  5. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Just sitting here listening to the albums again and flipping through the books I notice two things that are marginally interesting (for obsessives).

1. The remixed Tug Of War album is five seconds longer than the original album (41:17 vs 41:12).
    2. Hear Music is no longer part of the label equation that used to read MPL/Hear Music/Concord. The serial numbers still start with HRM-xxxxx-xx though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that you are far too harsh; just because a song is written for a fantasy film, or in Music Hall style, does not mean that it is drivel. We shouldn't just dismiss whole genres of music, just because they don't 'rawk'.

I love Paul's diversity; he can rock as well as anyone, but he is also good in so many other areas. The thing that binds all of his music together is his natural ability to pump out wonderful melodies.

7. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Too experimental -- he'd done that album?

theMess likes this.
  8. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Very fortunate for you! I'm still quite disappointed about it all. My hopes were raised when someone posted in this thread last week about receiving their Super Deluxe from Amazon Italy. The cheapest on ebay at the moment is £399. Ah well.

9. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

That's the thing with Paul.... I don't really believe that 'rawk' is truly in his soul. Music is in his soul.

The first song he ever wrote was "Suicide", for crying out loud. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Paul could have been a musical force in any era. He embraced rock because that was the vehicle for popular music of his era and he excelled at it. But even next to "Rock Show" you still have "You Gave Me the Answer". Paul could have been born in 1890 and under the right circumstances, completely dominated Tin Pan Alley. To me his abilities extend beyond the popular conventions of his time (the 60s), not unlike Bacharach or Jobim or Brian Wilson, to name a few peers.

10. K.K. Bing

K.K. Bing Forum Resident

Yes, it's huge and I thought about storing the box elsewhere and place the Super Deluxe-edition with the special slip case next to the other McCartney-boxes. But as it's numbered and has cover art, I decided to put the whole thing on the shelf. But a lack of space is coming, because I also have the Super Deluxe edition of the Art of McCartney, which is very difficult to handle and store too :) So perhaps I need an airconditioned garden shed for my McCartney-related purchases :) With two performances in Amsterdam, -which I both visited, the second one with my wife and son- the man is costing me a lot of money, space and time in 2015!

music-man, Jerry Horne and dvakman like this.
  11. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Make me think of George Harrison now: the guitar solo, the car wheels imagery....

Johnny Reb, RayS and theMess like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Maybe. I suppose that the critical bashing that McCartney 2 received scared him off.

JimC likes this.
  13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Listen to him wail on 'I'm Down'...he ain't fakin'! :righton:

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  14. JimC

JimC Senior Member

I believe it will be all of them --- eventually.

Billy Budapest and theMess like this.
  15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

It seems 2001/2/3-ish to me.

Carlox and supermd like this.
  16. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

At this rate I will have "Flowers In The Dirt " before my super deluxe gets here. In fact I don't care anymore the moment has passed !

Peace and love✌

Mazzy likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Leave. You are no longer welcome here. ;)

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I really never cared for "Rainclouds" until the session tape popped up. The melodic quality of the song (particularly that cool middle 8) finally dawned on me. My old 45 is long since gone, but to me the CD sounds like a major sonic upgrade over it. Difficult to A/B things across a 20 year gap, of course. "I'll Give You a Ring" is really catchy (my favorite of this trio). "Ode to a Koala Bear" is no "Yesterday", but I love animals so it works for me. Speaking of animals and songs that bring me near tears, since I lost my beloved Calico cat I honestly have a difficult time with "Calico Skies".

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I had the same experience with 'Rainclouds'; at first it didn't do much for me, but eventually the melody hit me, and I now believe that it should have been on the POP album.

I have always enjoyed 'I'll Give You A Ring', which makes a great B-side, and as for Koala Bear, I am an unabashed fan of the song. It has a beautiful melody, wonderful vocal, great guitar part and like you, I love animals, so I find the lyrics very sweet. As a song for children it works especially well.

I am sorry to hear about your cat; I have a tortoise, and I would be devastated if she died. Thankfully, she will most likely live longer than I will.

Paul H and RayS like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I loved "Rainclouds" the first time I heard it. That uilleann pipe solo is so incredibly joyful to me. My brain can't handle it. The melody evokes a happiness in me that most songs I love never come close to. I don't know what it is about it. It MAKES the song. It kind of reminds me of happy Lord of the Rings memories.

21. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I love "Somebody Who Cares", I think it's an excellent song. It hasn't actually driven me to tears, but I've been close, only from a nostalgic aspect though...

I actually love "I'll Give You A Ring"... not cringeworthy to me at all. I always felt like it had a great New Orleans type feel. It's definitely not a deep song of course. Of course I wouldn't single it out to someone who isn't a McCartney fan, but I still like it.

"Ode to a Kola Bear" however does seem to fit exactly what you are talking about with the general McCartney perception. As a fan, I can see some fans loving the song and I personally have no problem with it (other than maybe the 80's drum sound and production). I am not ashamed to like something that many feel is stupid, poor or sappy.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, that is a fabulous instrumental touch and it does lift the song up a level. Paul's ability to choose instruments like the duduk, uilleann pipe and piccolo trumpet to add musical 'colour' to his songs, is one of his greatest skills.

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

susyredstripe likes this.
  24. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I hope you're not implying Ms Mills had anything to do with the broken tooth.... ;)

theMess likes this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Long may she run. :)

theMess, JimC and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.