Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Definitely in the lower quartile for me, though I am very fond of PtP. Even the B-sides wouldn't rescue OTG for me, though as with all of his albums it includes some songs I enjoy immensely.

2. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I don't know. I just enjoy the three classic PM albums, but these two never appealed for 2.99 never mind a remaster.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Let me see if we are in agreement:
    1. Mumbo
    2. Mumbo Link
    3. Bip Bop
    4. Bip Bop Link

Correct? ;)

Just kidding... As I've said before here, I'm a big fan of the Wild Life album.

4. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

You got lucky :cry: enjoy!

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

So true-a classic example of bad sequensing. Also-since Through our Love doesn t do much for me-the album sort of fades out into nothing
    The other similar example of poor sequencing in Maccas legacy I find in the last few tracks on Flowers in the dirt
    With that said I sort of like Hey Hey-well executed with some good vibes. In my book a far better instrumental than the grue-some Rochestra theme( who grabbed a Grammy ).

JimC likes this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How about I am your singer

7. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

They're actually four of the ones I really like! I'm a big fan of the Wild Life album too - though Wild life the song is the one song on it that doesn't appeal much to me. ;)

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I don't personally mind the Tug of War remix all that much, but I think it would have more appropriate to include the original mix on the standard 2-CD edition instead of the remix.

For those of you with the Deluxe sets, are you ripping the original mix CD as a separate title from the rest of the set? This is what I did, but am considering altering my tags in order to make the original mix "Disc 2" as it is presented on the track listing.

theMess and Sandinista like this.
  9. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Nor does it contain anything resembling a half decent song LOL.... half kidding as there or 4 or 5 good songs on there but the rest are laughable. Would have made a great EP.

10. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Different strokes for different folks. ;) I like the sound of Driving Rain and think it has some interesting and less-McCartney-sounding songs than most of his albums.

The new songs on Broad Street would maybe be the best choice for an EP - although I think I'm one of the few who actually likes Eleanor's Dream!

theMess likes this.
  11. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Are there any 1980-1983 demos that were played on the Oobu Joobu radio series that are not on these bonus discs?

Carlox and theMess like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

No Sean, I just sell the Denny Laine blow up dolls. I buy them from the manufacturer: A. Grove Industries.:D

13. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Some thoughts as I listen to the deluxe sets:

As a teenager in the late 1970s, I was out of step with most of those around me in my obsession with the Beatles and especially McCartney solo. My friends and I had a lot in common -- Some Girls, Cheap Trick, etc. -- but McCartney was not really cool in the crowd I ran with. On to college: I unashamedly loved Tug of War and could defend it to my new circle of friends with no problem. It had a majesty, a depth, a timelessness about most of it that stood apart from a lot of Paul's recent albums. Then came Pipes of Peace. I liked certain bits, and could appreciate it as a Beatles fan, but I grew up in the sense that I finally could say, "Much of this just isn't very good." Especially for Paul McCartney. I mean, we were listening to Murmur by R.E.M. at the time, among scores of other great albums and singles, and Pipes of Peace was just irrelevant to me. The album seemed trite.

And though the sound of this reissue is much better than before on CD, the songs aren't. But...the bonus disc is a revelation. As I always suspected, the album could have been much better. I listened to the bonus disc three times this morning and it stands as a much strong album than its parent disc. I still think McCartney II is the most satisfying deluxe set, but bonus Pipes is extraordinary.

14. djej

djej Forum Resident

The Say Say Say single slated for 11/27/15 features the 6:56 version on the a side and a 7 minute instrumental on the b side. Not sure how many they are pressing. The time on the a side appears to essentially match what is on the POP bonus disc.

The sleeve is a picture of the pair at a mixing console looking down at it. Say Say Say is in all caps overlaid over the image.

It's not this picture but it is from the same shoot.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/24/say-say-say-it-isnt-so-sale-of-catalog-mulled-in-hacked-e-mails/

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  15. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

And I rate the hole in the record higher than the music that surrounded it!

Skywheel and JimC like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Just so you know. The Denny Laine blow-up doll is sold out. But we will have a Geoff Britton doll very soon. We're accepting orders now... ;)

Glenn Christense and theMess like this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Does it come with the "karate action" feature?

18. Arnold Grove

That's only included with the DELUXE version. ;)

RayS and theMess like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

And once again, it is comments like that which are preventing Paul from touring Australia. If Paul could only see some positive comments coming from you, he might just change his mind and visit finally ... ;)

theMess likes this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I have never listened to Pipes Of Peace because of its reputation from the moment it came out. I've finally gave it a spin. I really enjoyed it. I can't believe this is the album that has been so despised all these years. For me, it was a pleasant surprise.

Jayseph, Carlox, rock76 and 11 others like this.
  21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Kung Fu Grip"!

22. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Let everyone know when you get around to the Joe English doll. There probably would be much more interest in him. :D

theMess likes this.
  23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Why not Jimmy?

24. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Thanks for putting into words my own thoughts, JimC. I remember listening to Pipes of Peace at the time it came out and feeling a sort of moral obligation to like it, simply because McCartney made it, I was a fan, and The Great Man simply could not make a weak album, could he? Much as I tried to enjoy it and justify it to myself, I kept coming back to the same fundamental viewpoint: few of the songs held my attention, and it became a chore to listen to the whole album, even under the known premise that it's always best to listen to a McCartney work at least five times before passing judgment -- i.e. give it time to grow on you. Pipes of Peace just never did so. In past years I was proud to be the one to bring a McCartney album to a party, have them put it on, and see that people liked it more than they thought they would -- Tug of War in particular I recall having that impact, the title song in particular "reaching" people who I thought never would care much for it (e.g. the stoner crowd, one of whom even told me, "Great song, man -- glad you played it."). I never made that leap of faith with Pipes of Peace, because I just didn't have the confidence in that album that I did in others. Looking back, I felt like some of the songs were too embarrassing to play for others ("Hey Hey" in particular). So I took a pass on it, and I've never regretted the decision.

I'm not so motivated now to be accepted by others or to be seen as cool, but time really hasn't changed my opinion of the album -- a handful of catchy tunes but mostly an album of second-rate McCartney work relative to his abilities. I'm willing to give it a relisten and a reassessment, but it will have to wait. The importCDs warehouse screwed up my order and sent me the wrong version of the album (the 2 CD set instead of the Deluxe Edition), the DE is on back order now, and I'm resigned to being the last person among us who ordered it early to get it and have a listen to the updated version. I'll keep an open mind and give it a fair chance. But my expectations are low -- maybe a good thing in the end.

helter and JimC like this.
  25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I always thought that POP would have been a stronger album if the 3 "Broad Street" songs would have replaced "Hey, Hey" "The Man" and "Tug Of Peace". The album needs a few rockers to give it more of an edge. But I guess that wasn't going to happen since POP was rush released after TOW and Paul's next movie project started taking shape.

theMess and JimC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.