Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I fully agree; every one of his albums from the 70's, 80's and 90's should get the deluxe treatment, and hopefully the more recent albums as well.

2. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Wild Life could be augmented by live recordings from the Wings' University Tours 1972...if there are recordings (and I bet there are).

Jjuanjo, heatherly and theMess like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That is a very good idea; the live version of the song 'Wild Life' is absolutely fantastic, and in my opinion it is even better than the album version.

foxylady and RonBaker like this.
  4. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Wild Life Live

theMess likes this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That would be a perfect title for it. :righton:

I am very envious of Bemagnus, who actually got to see one/some of those '72 concerts. Did anyone else here go to any?

To bring this back to Tug Of War/Pipes Of Peace; one of the big disappointments for me when looking at Paul's live career, is that (for understandable reasons) he didn't tour in the early 80's. I would love to have heard songs like Wanderlust and Take It Away in concert, and it seems crazy that he did perform much of the Wild Life album in concert, but not Tug Of War, which was much more successful commercially.

I think that many of the songs from Tug Of War have been forgotten amongst the general public because Paul has never performed them live. The only song that he does consistently play is Here Today, and that always goes down well at his concerts for obvious reasons, but I am sure that songs like Take It Away, Wanderlust and Tug Of War would also be well received.

I also think that he should perform Pipes Of Peace (certainly in the UK at least, where it reached no.1), and I also wouldn't mind seeing Paul sing Say Say Say solo; Abe could sing Michael's parts.

6. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

He did perform Ebony and Ivory on the '89/'90 Flowers In The Dirt tour and Hamish McIntosh sung the Stevie parts.

theMess likes this.
  7. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Since Paul has set a precedent with "A Love For You" and "Hey Diddle" (releasing two different versions of those archive tracks over the years), I wouldn't rule out another veresion or two of "Great Cock And Seagull Race" with the various Wings overdubs on either "Wild Life" or "Red Rose Speedway" (or, why not, on both).
    Isn't it amazing that for many years, we only knew the Wings versions/mixes, without realizing the basic track predated "Wild Life" and actually came from the so prolific "Ram" sessions?

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, good point. If he can do that, why not Say Say Say?

Stevie actually came out and sang it with Paul on that tour. I wonder if anyone has any footage?

So with the exception of two songs (E&I and Here Today), one of which he no longer plays at his own concerts, he doesn't play any songs from Tug or Peace. I think that it is a shame that he doesn't, because songs like Wanderlust deserve a large audience.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You'll never have any money!

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am already resigned to that. :D I will be living on jacket potatoes, but listening to some great music. :laugh:

11. Could you inform this uninformed Yank what "jacket potatoes" are? It sounds like something gathering lint in the pocket of a jacket (coat)! :D

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  12. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Just what us British refer to baked potatoes as. And now I fancy one myself.

sallymae_hogsby and theMess like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Ha!

I think that Americans would call them 'Baked Potatoes'.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  14. Are the skins left on? Do you put butter on them?

theMess likes this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Yes, I leave the skins on, stab them with a knife to let the steam out whilst they cook, bake them for two hours, and then cut them open, and add butter, cheese, salad and sliced meats like ham, roast chicken, etc.

Now I am really in the mood for one. :D

supermd and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  16. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

A neat conflation of band members there...!
    It was Hamish Stuart (who sang with Paul among his many other musical duties): Robbie McIntosh was lead guitarist.

PS - Love the potato talk! McCartney threads always seem to bring food into them somehow...I'm off for some Marmite and cheddar on toast myself.

17. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Any rumblings of a release date for these yet? grrrrr... these ae getting released sooooo slooooow....

andy75 and theMess like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

At least you won't get fat!

When I was your age my music collection was (relatively) small. Unfortunately soon after, CDs became available and I went insane!

Do you know how many albums you own? Is it a frighteningly large amount?!

My CD collection must be close on 2000 now, though I purposely stopped counting after 1000!

theMess likes this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks to Paul, I now like Hummus and Marmite together.

mrjinks and ConnieGuitar like this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

At last count, I have over 1000 albums, and it doesn't look like I will be slowing down any time soon.

21. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

No doubt the skin is what gives the potato the appearance of wearing a jacket, after it's sliced open. I like baked beans and cheese on mine.

But anyway, back on topic... :whistle:

Paul H, theMess and ConnieGuitar like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Bloody hell!

theMess likes this.
  23. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Nice - what is the difference in the single and album mix of Take It Away? Is is just the cold start without the cross-fade from Tug of War?

RAJ717 likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thankfully for me, many of them were given to me as gifts, or were 'handed-down' to me by my Parents or Uncle.

25. Bobby Morrow

That's a bit better then! It's just a shame that so many of the artists you like have huge catalogues!

One last question: How many copies of Band On The Run do you own? CDs, vinyl, cassette, digital all count.

somebodywhocares and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.