Paul McCartney: Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (Album) Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I haven't sought out any of these. I have heard at least some of these are really good.

2. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Much obliged, sir! :winkgrin:

3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

While not all of these songs would've fit on the album, this are some of my favourite 00's McCartney songs.

No problem! :cheers:

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Wow, when I was 5 years old, I was into tinkertoys and maybe Ringo, but not 64 year old Paul!

What, what's that you say? You were referring to the album being 5 years old, and not yourself... Nevermind then.

5. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

I agree with an earlier post that called Fine Line a "grower." For me, it's got some quintessential Macca touches to it, like his little vocal fills here and there. I also like the chord changes and the way the tune flows. I know it's a fairly harmless song but it gets into your brain and you find yourself humming it for three days straight. He tosses off stuff like this effortlessly.

If I may comment on C&C overall, I believe it to be one of Paul's finest solo discs. It feels honest to me, and I haven't always been able to say that about his efforts. It's also quite cohesive, which is also not always true for his solo releases. I played it that whole fall/winter of 2005-06; the more I played it, the more I liked it. And I still enjoy it often. I liked it *way* better than Memory Almost Full, that's for sure, although that one's certainly got its moments.

6. Dr. Pepper

Have to agree with others that say musically Fine Line doesn't really fit with the rest of the album, but lyrically it is in sync with the other tracks. The only reason it works on the album for me is because it is the first track and a really nice album opening track that starts an album that could be seen as a downer with on a positive note. It gives the album some balance.

7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Interesting.
    Vaguely resembles it. I wouldn't say "wholesale".

Thanks for the link------I will play that full blast the next time there's an argument at my parents' house.

8. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

A Fine Line is pure McCartney! I can just easily imagine an arrangement of the tune with a deep moog, pounding Joe English drums with the hi-hat pattern in eights, Paul, Linda and Denny harmonies (just try to imagine Linda singing the "its a fine line" bit at the end)and a Getting Closer like leadvocal.

9. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Forum Resident

Fine Line is an excellenmt album opener - especially for an album that lacks much up-tempo material.
    The lyrics are pretty good and it is an easy/breezy Macca melody.

i go back and forth with this album as a whole though. I loved it more when it came out then I do now. if this makes sense, it feels to me more like Paul McCartney doing a Nigel album than Nigel producing a Paul McCartney album.
    i acutally prefer MAF to this one to listen to (despite obviously inferior production/mastering).

Excellent lead off song and it played well live.

RamblinRed

10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

And then there are the three unreleased tracks that were supposed to be on "This Never Happened Before", the 3rd CD single off the album in February or March 2006. But Paul's separation from Heather apparently stopped the project.

These songs were :
    "A Modern Dance"
    "Watching My Fish Drown"
    "Perfect Lover", which was later revamped and rerecorded as Paul's next single to become "Ever Present Past" on "Memory Almost Full".

Promo copies with these three tracks don't even seem to have ever existed...

11. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Yes! That's what i'm talking about! :righton:

All of them are very strong save for "Growing Up, Falling Down" IMO. "I Want You To Fly" is the best, listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgrW9xczIPo

12. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

It's a great opener for a really good album. I wish he could go back in studio with Nigel again but I suppose one time was heavy enough :) I feel that Dance Tonight from the next album is Fine Line's silly little brother.

13. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I remember approaching "Fine Line" with a lot of reservation and trepidation. That was at a time when Paul's voice seemed to be shot forever (after "Driving Rain", "Freedom") and his songwriting had lost its commercial spark.

I found myself celebrating the song's freshness, naivity and Paul's surprisingly youthful vocal performance. Maybe his best melody since 1993.

But the real knockout was 2007's "My Ever Present Past"!

14. Dr. Pepper

I think Paul is talking about himself here, and the balance he has to achieve to make this challenging album.

Alright here is the controversial part, to me this sounds like Paul acknowledging John, and Paul wanting to get more of that, "recklessness and courage" that John so often exhibited. I think while they both had a deep respect for each other. Paul would say John was often too reckless, whereas John would see Paul as too tame. Recently, it seems like Paul has been allowing himself to be a little more reckless and take a few more chances with his music to spectacular results.

15. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I love the album. "Fine Line" at first threw me off when compared to the rest of the album. It adds some sweetness to the bitter.

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Didn't like Chaos when it first came out, just too slow for me. I still think the producer just didn't know McCartneys style and led him in some strange direction. I don't want him to work with the guy again, he doesn't get Paul McCartney.

It's Paul McCartney though so I kept listening, Dance Tonight and Ever Present Past still don't do anything for me so I just skip them.

Fine Line is pleasant enough, I noticed that Chaos is more of a piano album.

The songs that really caught my attention were...

Friends To Go - Saw the video of them performing this for a sound check, to me this song would sound even better given a harder rock treatment.

Too Much Rain - This is one of the best songs McCartney has ever written, yes I mean that, I absolutely love this one, sheer perfection!

Riding To Vanity Fair - Another great one, I would like to hear the harder rock treatment McCartney first had in mind, the producer made him change his idea, worked out good though.

Promise To You Girl - Love it, McCartney should be performing this song live.

This never Happened Before - A McCartney classic, one of the best ballads he's written, soft, smooth, and heartfelt. Another McCartney should be performing live.

Anyway - Excellent song, reminds me of People Get Ready.

The b-side to the Jenny Wren CD single is a song titled This Loving Game. I absolutely love this song, I couldn't believe that McCartney didn't put it on the album, how on Earth could he leave off such a fantastic song? He should of left off the childish sounding English Tea.

So Chaos grew on me, but Memory Almost Full hits the mark more as a showcase of McCartneys real musical style.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  17. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

speaking of the b-sides...

I wish Paul had found some room on Chaos for "I Want You To Fly". That song was way too good to throw away as a b-side. You can tell he put some hard work into it. Oh well.

18. scousette

scousette Forum Resident

This album is Paul's masterpiece. I love it. Fine Line is a great beginning for what's to come. It rocks enough, and sets the tone for the rest of the album.

19. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

Would like to hear "Perfect Lover" - I think that "Ever Present Past" is a horrible production.

My favorite song on C&CINBY is "Promise To You Girl" - could be on Ram.

20. Dr. Pepper

I think we have probably covered Fine Line sufficiently, so on to the next track... I'll try and give each track a day or two for comments...when I wait too long, it just slows down the thread too much...

How Kind Of You
    (McCartney)
    How kind of you to think of me
    When I was out of sorts
    It really meant a lot to be
    In someone else's thoughts
    Someone else's mind
    Someone else as kind, as you

The thoughtfulness you showed
    has made a difference in my life
    I won't forget how unafraid
    You were that long dark night

I thought that all was lost
    I thought I'd never find
    A someone quite as kind, as you

I thought my faith had gone
    I thought there couldn't be
    A someone who was there, for me

How kind of you to stick by me
    During the final bout
    And listened to the referee
    As I was counted out

I thought my time was up
    I thought I'd never find
    A someone quite as kind, as you

I thought my faith had gone
    I thought there couldn't be
    A someone who was there for me

How kind of you to think of me
    How kind of you

21. Dr. Pepper

How Kind Of You really establishes the tone of the rest of the album. It is such a droning track that, IMHO, it wouldn't fit comfortably anywhere else on the album. Following the relatively upbeat Fine Line is the perfect place for it.

22. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

I love this track and the swirling parts at the start. I love the ending. I wish I was a musician so I could describe properly what I am hearing...the chords of the piano and the guitar going down deeper and deeper at the end...the muffled feedback as the song fades.

It's one of my favorite tracks of his from the last several albums.

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I like this track----maybe better than anything else on Chaos.
    I do think Nigel was the wrong choice---but at least we do get a unique-sounding McCartney album.

24. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm not diggin' all the "English Tea" hate. How can nobody else see the beauty in the choruses with those harmonies and the melody?

25. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I think Nigel was the RIGHT choice as producer as it allowed Paul to stretch a bit. He NEEDS to be challenged and pushed I think.

CHAOS is by far my fave McCartney solo album, and that is saying a lot. I love how this album sounds, and I love when he plays piano and drums on his records...

I love the loops on HOW KIND OF YOU and the overall feel of the track. If I remember correctly it was the last song to be recorded for CHAOS...?

somnar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.