Paul McCartney: Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (Album) Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Mine too. I think it's perfect from start to finish. "How Kind of You" really perked my ears up and told me we were in for something special with this album. I love the arrangement and the hmm's or ooh's between verses. I wish I could explain myself better.

I thought that all was lost
    I thought I'd never find
    A someone quite as kind, as you

I love those last bits.. "as you"!

2. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Where was C&C recorded? I assumed it was at Abbey Road because of the PBS Great Performances Episode "Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road", but I can't find any info online.

And speaking of C&C@AR, why was that not broadcast until more than 4 months after the album's release, even though it was recorded 2 months prior to the album's release? I know it's not PBS' job to promote new albums, but the timing seemed to really lag its optimal airing date.

3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

"How Kind Of You" is a great example of the brilliant job Nigel Godrich did on this album. Love the live version from the Abbey Road special, with 'live' tapeloops.

Track 1, 2, 5 and 7 at Air Studios, London
    Track 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11 and 13 at Ocean Way Recording, LA
    Track 10 and 12 at RAK Studios, London

It was originally broadcast on the BBC in the week of the release. There also was a extended radio broadcast, with the exclusive acoustic performance of "Too Much Rain".

4. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Simple song, but sometimes these are the best. What really impresses me about this is the arrangement, the flugelhorn adding texture in the drony soundscape, the end section with the buried voices and when it would have been so easy to go for a fade a guitar figure is brought out to lift the whole thing towards the piano coda, lovely.
    I'm listening to this again for the first time in ages and I must say Dr Pepper that I'm glad you brought the subject up.

5. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Nice to hear. Thanks for the info. BTW, how is the "Between Chaos And Creation" doc on the CD/DVD?

6. 905

905 Senior Member

Fine Line isn't as strong as the other songs, but it's still a good opener. It doesn't stick out as bad as Flaming Pie's title track.

7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Agreed, it also has the album title in the lyrics.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Hey, we're not there yet, but I will tell you that English Tea is my favorite song on the whole album, and I'm liking it more and more every time I hear it! Considering that along with a few other folks on this thread, Chaos is my overall favorite McCartney album, I guess that means that English Tea is my favorite McCartney song on my favorite McCartney album, and that's about the highest praise I can give a song.

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Slow down Doc ! :D

Fanboy that I am, I made sure that I got the "Fine Line"/"Comfort of Love" CD single a couple of weeks before the album release.

I wasn't too thrilled with "Fine Line" at first. I was a little worried about the forthcoming album, if this was going to be the standout track. I thought it was jaunty with a nice arrangement, including Paul's typically cool sort of chugging drums, but I didn't think there was much of a melody or the typical McCartney hooks.
    I like the track enough though, but I wouldn't rate it as a favorite.

"How Kind of You" is a nice change of pace sounding track from Paul. The track sort of meanders around... in a good way. I like when the piano drops down from an F# to an F at around 3.30 or so , and like Jim, I like the way the track ends. Hey Jim,(zobalob) quit stealing my thoughts before I post them.:laugh:

10. Dr. Pepper

You are so welcome! I must say my timing was perfect because I honestly just went go the grocery store and they were playing Fine Line on the speaker system!

11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Alright Doc, YOU brought it up already so :

If "English Tea" was on the White Album, maybe with some backup vocals from John and George, the song would be revered. It's a typically concise melody from Paul, as opposed to many of the Chaos tracks where Paul seems to be going for a mood or a feel more than tight hooks.

If you listen to "English Tea'" it almost has a "Martha My Dear" sort of feel to it, minus the busy piano part of course, IMO.

12. Dr. Pepper

Glenn,

I was hoping you'd show up! I think you are right on target with English Tea. I often imagine Ringo singing it. Really to me Choas is about as close to a Beatles album in the variety of styles as Paul has ever come.

13. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

But I think it would fit better on Emitt Rhodes S/T!

14. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Yes!

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Not by me. :shake:

16. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

How Kind Of You is sheer perfection, great lyrics and great production.

17. Dr. Pepper

Have many artists used the "bed of sound" idea that Paul uses on this song.

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

How Kind Of You is a pleasant song, to me there's nothing special about it. It is perfect sleeping music though.

19. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

How Kind Of You is a very moving song and one of the most succesfull collaborations between Paul and Nigel. This is where the best of both worlds comes together on this record as far as arrangement and production go IMO.

20. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Paul is at his best when he ventures unknown ground, period.

I also love how the guitars end on HOW KIND OF YOU with this very cool melody - a very lovely harmony, don't you think? This song also brought the same experience: that this album was going to be a special journey.

My big question is, why wasn't "She is So Beautiful" included on the record? Was it THAT similar to "This Never Happened Before" that the two songs couldn't co-exist on the same record? One of his best b-sides to be sure :)

Mark my words, this album will fare well with the test of time. His Kahne-produced records, not so much.

21. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

agree .... beautiful song

I love how the song shifts right after 'as I was counted out'

fantastic outro

22. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

How Kind Of You:
    I agree with what a lot of said about this song already in this thread. This is where the album proper starts. It is such a sad tone and such humble lyrics from someone who (let's face it) has to be one of the greatest egomaniacs in the world (and deservedly). Paul sounds so vulnerable in this album and even though it is the "Heather pre-divorce album" the pain and confusion of how to start life again without Linda hangs all over this album.
    Someone else called the production sparkling - and the drone has been noted. It is almost an ambient track for the first 2 minutes when, only at that late point, the drums finally arrive.
    I love how the sadness of the song is answered at the end by the tiny note of optimism that the little guitar signature provides.

23. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

I want to know why Growing Up Falling Down wasn't on.... that song sounds like it is straight out of 67... in a good way

24. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

25. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

"How Kind of You" is the song that brought the following thoughts to my mind: "Holy crap, Paul is back...I haven't heard him write anything of this quality in many, many years!" This was like the Beatlesque Paul we all knew could someday resurface and thankfully, he did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.