Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yep, You should try it as the second track aftet Opening Station, it really works well.

theMess likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I kl wait with some deeper andalysi or rewiew
    But I will try to categorize were I right now categorice Egypt Station in my newly constructed model. There are no individual rankings between albums just my way of explaining how I wiew them.

VINTAGE McCartney
    A vintage McCartney need to have at least four tracks of astonishing quality that can stand up to anything in Paul’s legacy. The rest of the tracks must rank from good to great but there is also place for one bummer. My vintage McCartney albums are:
    Ram
    Band on the run
    Tug of war
    Flaming Pie
    Chaos and création in the back yard
    Egypt Station

3. Boognish

Boognish On a never-ending quest for vinyl...

Just finished the album. Wow.

Highlights:

Dominoes
    Despite Repeated Warnings
    Do it now

I don't really understand the so-so reaction to DRW. It blew me away with the sheer momentum and attack to it. Very different from "Mary Had a Little Lamb", if you get what I mean.
    Musically, the top of the album for me was dominoes. It's so rhythmically driven, it's hard not to get it in your head.
    Fuh You, I think, works better in an album setting. I didn't mind it as much.
    One last note, I wished "Naked" was longer or stood on its own as it blew me away as much as DRW did.

Overall, I'd give it an 8, but that may change with more listens.

4. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

The production almost sounds mono to me. Production aside...

I fuhing LOVE Dominoes. It's probably my favorite off the album.
    I may do a track by track tomorrow

5. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I also love Dominoes. It's one of my favorites.

The ending track, Hunted You Down/Naked/C-link, is a fantastic closing song.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    The Band, Octowen, theMess and 3 others like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

First impressions.
    Meter reading /barometer.
    Side 1 ..............40/100
    Side 2...............60/100
    Side 3...............70/100
    Side 4...............80/100

Off to give it its second spin.

Macca must be very chuffed with his conceptual piece of art.

7. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

The arpeggio-ish section of Dominoes reminds me of "Laughable" off of Ringo's Give More Love.

"It would be laughable if it wasn't sad."

theMess, SixOClockBoos and Dr. Pepper like this.
  8. Dr. Pepper

Let's get the doctor to take us to the top of the cliff and jump off.

Solo Beatle Albums Top 10

All Things Must Pass - George
    Egypt Station - Paul
    Plastic Ono Band - John
    New - Paul
    Ringo - Ringo
    Chaos - Paul
    Ram - Paul
    Band on The Run - Paul
    Tug of War - Paul
    Double Fantasy - John

9. Dr. Pepper

It does just get better and better as you get further in!

FJFP, theMess, Shak Cohen and 2 others like this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

That's true! I love that song too!

theMess and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  11. alexpop

I must admit it gets better. :)

theMess and Dr. Pepper like this.
  12. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Absolutely love it - classic solo Paul, Ram, the best of Wings, Chaos & Creation, so much going on, the hour passed by in a flash, his best in some while. He's clearly doing exactly what he likes and feeling free to be experimental in some areas. Got up at the crack of sparrows to get my first listen. Worth missing out on sleep. My all time musical hero has done it again for me. Rave, rave, rave...

13. alexpop

What two George albums at the top. :)

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  14. alexpop

One track is going help sell pizza. :)

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Was just on Jimmy Fallon and performed one of the songs. Wasn't bad either.

Will have to hear more of the album before considering buying, though.

16. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Any love for Caesar Rock? That's another song I love right off.

The soundscape on this album is what is so brilliant about it. The energy he effused into this album musically, without repeating himself, is pretty magical when you think about his age. He has this zest for life .

17. Dr. Pepper

I know right, it's a long album (almost an hour) but it feels like a briskly paced listen. Paul's best sequencing ever, gutsy too. Folks mostly front load their albums today with the hits, but Paul put the best songs at the end to build to this amazing crescendo.

18. alexpop

Felt like a confessional concept album.

19. Dr. Pepper

What song?

20. alexpop

Bet your bottom dollar ?

21. Dr. Pepper

One of my favorite tracks,, but I like every track! Listening to Ceaser Rock as I type this!

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

:tiphat:
    I just finished listening to the whole album on Spotify. Congrats Frank for posting the first review I've read by anyone (professional or amateur) about this album that most closely captures the true contents and overall impression of the music -- as I heard it to be too. You saved me a lot of writing because I have no qualms about 90% of what you have said here, most everything is spot on to the way I heard the same songs. The only thing I would adjust for myself about your review is Dominoes and Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link, which are rated too highly in my view. Neither for me deserves over a 7, nothing on this album does. I'd be more inclined to set the cap at 6 for this album. Who Cares, Hunt You Down, and I Don't Know all have great intro parts to them, but I'm not thrilled with where they go after the intros. I like the cello outro too in Do It Now, but that song could really do without the distracting vocal "do-do-do-dos".

There is no track that really stands out to me as good all the way through like Alligator and Queenie Eye did to me on NEW. There is no track on this album that particularly compels me to want to listen to it again, certainly nothing that I want to add into one of my Spotify playlists. Besides the few tracks that are just bad which I fully agree with you on those choices, this album is another in a long run of McCartney albums that hit me as overall just boring and dull. The production tries hard to make this into something more than it is, but for me it doesn't succeed at making anything actually interesting beyond very brief moments here and there. Besides the few bad tracks I don't actively dislike the majority of the album, but I don't actively like it either. It's just there. Another for the collection that will take up space on the shelf. It does make a nice looking album though. Too bad it's not one I'll want to listen to again. Oh well, maybe the next one.
    :shrug:

bherbert, Shaddam IV, gibtti and 2 others like this.
  23. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

Hello all, posted this in the last thread but I felt worth mentioning again. Just picked up the guitar to work a few of these songs out like Who Cares and then was very pleasantly surprised to notice the similarity between the verse chords in Dominoes and George Harrison's Isn't it a pity. Go and listen to the first minute of them both. Happy accident I'm sure but always good to hear a naughty chord (as George called them).

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  24. alexpop

Doing a song ratings on my second listen, later.

25. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Did I mention he's funny, makes me laugh? Initial favourites, absolutely love Happy With You, Who Cares, People Want Peace, Back In Brazil, Caesar Rock. I could go on but have to go back downstairs for coffee and further plays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.