Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Think the marketing for this record has been his best since then, not sure about the record....Yet

A 'greatest ' package from Flaming Pie onwards though would be a formidable collection.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

When or if you get the bonus-tracks will take care of that-I promise
    :)

The Band and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got to double ( triple ) dip. :)

Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  4. Col

Col Forum Resident

Downloaded from hiresaudio at 24 bit and it sounds warm and dynamic.Thoughts-a superb album.I have switched out tracks in playlist style for albums since the eighties(you know on MAF gratitude and nod your head are replaced by Why so blue and 222) but not this one!This is an album where I like all the songs and the album's flow.As others have said it starts great and gets better.Despite repeated Warnings is a joy and so different in the catalogue,while Hunt you down is a McCartney smorgasbord with the final guitar solo recalling in tone and style his McCartney album-which is a great thing.Who cares and Dominoes are other standouts.Fur You fits and repeated listenings reveal lots of "bitty bits".It's a subtle album and a true career highlight.

The Band, ted321, foxylady and 4 others like this.
  5. Perian

Perian Forum Resident

postscripum, theMess and speedway like this.
  6. alexpop

Vinyl quality ? European
    No qualms.
    E X C E L L E N T.

ted321 and jammincrowe like this.
  7. jamesward88

jamesward88 Spirit of Ranachan

Me too! Hello, fellow Geordie! :)

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Beaneydave like this.
  8. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Listening to it now, and it's not as bad as I'd been led to expect.
    In fact, it's pretty decent.

Clearly Paul wanted to make a versatile album with something to like for everyone - with a hodge podge of different moods and textures. It may not be one of Paul's best albums - but his trademark melodies and hooks are there - what more could you ask for?

jammincrowe, mrjinks and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I thought the old thread was remaining open for discussion about shipping etc, but it appears to be closed now so hope discussion of that is okay here now?

As far as I'm aware it was a PM.com exclusive. When you first posted I was worried that they had less stock then they'd taken pre-orders from. My order shows as delivery 'processed', whatever that means. No tracking number, no shipping notification, nothing. So really don't know when to expect it, or who is bringing it! Have seen two vans go up my street already but sadly nothing for me. The UK site is inferior to the US site, since they are able to get tracking numbers over there! As for me, well I just hope I'm in when it arrives. Won't likely be ordering with them again.

As for the album itself, I've listened to it again twice this morning and my opinion hasn't changed. Stellar McCartney. Will take some time for a considered review after I've had more time to live with the album, but it is everything I had hoped for.

10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

So: formats question:

I went into three shops today - HMV, Rough Trade and Fopp and none of them had the "standard" edition vinyl. Did it come out today?

Note: for those in the UK seeking the HMV exclusive, they're also available in Fopp.

Grooge, theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. alexpop

Bought the album /Black vinyl in b&m for 33.00 ( Euro..

12. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

"Caesar Rock" anyone? This is definitely a stand-out track to me. It gets to the point, rocking, fun, and has lots of really creative musical bits happening....and then into "Despite Repeated Warnings." The album just keeps getting better with every listen...I'm in TX and set my alarm for 2.00am to begin listening without any distractions. And it keeps getting better.

13. alexpop

Played Side D, four t I m e s
    no flipping with this one.

The Band, theMess and Shak Cohen like this.
  14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Didn't expect that much, but wow, I'm pleasantly surprised! Don't get some of the negative voices for songs like 'Despite Repeated Warnings' or 'Back in Brazil'... who said a 76-year old gentleman can't rock out, especially one with his legacy? Will listen to this over the weekend a lot, that's for sure! :righton:

15. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

You guys have me a tad worried about my PM shop orders (deluxe colored and Spotify vinyl, no shipping emails yet), but I can’t check the status because I checked out as a guest when I made the orders. Curse laziness!

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Just listened to it once in full. Amazon have decided to f*** up the delivery on this one for me, so I had to stream it. First impressions? A lot better than I hoped. I’m not hearing the severe lows many are complaining of. It reminds me somewhat of Chaos & Creation/Memory Almost Full with its shorter, seemingly more simplistic run of songs. Then just as you’re getting comfortable, Paul pulls the rug from underneath you.:D Nothing too outlandish of course. Just Macca making sure you’re awake.

I think New made a better first impression with me. I connected with that instantly for some reason. Egypt Station is obviously a grower and I’m sure after 4 or 5 plays I’m come to appreciate it more fully. Should amazon ever deliver it.:)

The Band, mrjinks, speedway and 3 others like this.
  17. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I have loved Egypt Station from the get-go hearing it on Sirius XM BUT New was accessible pop, while this is more unconventional, imo.

Can’t wait for tonight, I’m gonna listen to the songs straight through on CD without interruption, then watch the Paul concert. Days like this are amazing but so few

18. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Not thrilled with the album at all. I simply don't like his "NEW" melody structures and no one track really jumps out at me and says classic McCartney.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Vinyl_Blues, gibtti, JLPMacca and 2 others like this.
  19. alexpop

Any of his contemporaries commented on it, no not Phil Collins.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Beaneydave likes this.
  20. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

First macca album since 'pie' that i have listened to as a whole on release whilst only previously heard singles.
    After a full morning listening....
    Got to be honest folks it has been 'slightly' underwhelming for me after all the buzz.
    Love 'Happy With You'....I wish the whole album was like it.
    'Hand in Hand' is nice and 'Dominoes' too.
    'Despite Repeated Warnings' is growing on me after my initial confusion....
    'Confindant' is a bit early to judge for me yet as is 'Who Cares' but think I will like both.
    Initially Don't really like 'People Want Peace', Hunt You Down /Naked/ C link,Back in Brazil,Ceasar Rock
    And of the singles I love 'I Don't Know' but not that fussed about 'Come on to me' or 'Fuh You'
    EGYPT STATION 7/10 ....'currently' sits as my least favourite McCartney album of this century .

Ringo Hendrix, nsm and Zeki like this.
  21. alexpop

Above NEW for me, feels more like a complete album.

22. alexpop

21st Century:Ranking could be.
    ES
    Chaos
    MAF

Maybe later
    Chaos
    MAF
    ES

Joseph Marshall likes this.
  23. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

Solid effort from McCartney. To my ears, the wow factor is really high on this one. Fabulous melodies throughout.
    Easily a ☆☆☆☆ rating.

24. alexpop

I was worried at first.
    Think expecting the worse helped.

Again, this album begs repeated listens.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

Some of the tunes are OK but his voice is completely shot and he can't deliver them. I just hear an old man huffing and puffing. I can't get into it. Sorry.

gibtti, Gila, Frank and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.