Paul McCartney Scrapped/Unreleased Music Through The Years

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Ah, you're right. Sorry. :righton:

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:eek: "Hands Of Love" is one of the highlights of Paul's solo catalog. An intoxicating little ditty.

anthontherun likes this.
  3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Nope. Paul recently changed the copyright title (as mentioned upstream somewhere). The lyrics are twenty FINE fingers, not twenty-five which makes no sense whatsoever. Ron

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh, I missed that earlier... I thought it was a typo people kept repeating! I've never seen the song called "Twenty Fine Fingers" anywhere before.

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't know if it's the "final" official title or not, but in retrospect it sure makes more sense!

6. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Twenty Fine Fingers.

Type of Work: Music
    Registration Number / Date: PAu003671859 / 2013-04-05
    Application Title: Twenty Fine Fingers.
    Title: Twenty Fine Fingers.
    Description: Electronic file (eService)
    Copyright Claimant: MPL Communications Ltd., Transfer: By written agreement. Address: 1 Soho Square, London, W1D 3BQ, United Kingdom.
    Plangent Visions Music Ltd., Transfer: By written agreement. Address: 27 Noel Street, London, W1F 8GZ, United Kingdom.
    Date of Creation: 1987
    Authorship on Application: Paul McCartney, 1942- ; Domicile: United Kingdom; Citizenship: United Kingdom. Authorship: music, lyrics.
    Declan Mac Manus; Domicile: United States; Citizenship: United Kingdom. Authorship: music, lyrics.
    Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.

Names: McCartney, Paul, 1942-
    Mac Manus, Declan
    MPL Communications Ltd.
    Plangent Visions Music Ltd.

theMess likes this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn't mention it because I only mentioned the songs that I liked.:D

8. theMess

Hopefully this means that something is being done with the collaboration songs.

9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Interestingly, "All Of You" was also copyrighed in 2010!

theMess likes this.
  10. theMess

I have accidentally replaced Hands of Love with Lazy Dynamite. I don't mind LD but Hands of Love is the better of the two.

11. theMess

I really hope that he does something with it, I really like the melody. I wonder if he considered a new version for Kisses, like what he did with Baby's Request?

12. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Quite a fascinating list of copyrighted unreleased stuff on the website cb70 provided!

"All Of You" 2010
    "Angel In Disguise" 1994
    "Because I Know You Love Me So" 1993
    "Blackpool" 2007
    "Call It Suicide" 2008
    "Bishopsgate" 1997
    "Cello In The Ruins" 1995
    "Church Mice" 1996
    "Diving Song" 1 + 2 2003
    "Dream Come True" 1996
    "DUI" 1992
    "Equinox Instrumental" 2009
    "Fancy My Chances With You" 2003
    "Find Love" 1995 (became "Young Boy)
    "He Said, She Said" 1991 (???)
    "Hey Now (What Are You Looking At Me For) 1995
    "I Don't Know" 2011
    "I Don't Need No Cigarette, Boy" 2011
    "I Will Always Be There" 2011
    "Instrumental" 2011
    "Juggler Fanfare" 2003
    "Kanzi Tango" 2003
    "Laptops, Pagers and Mobile Phones" 2003
    "Let Me Love You Always" 1995 (part of it was incorporated into "Rushes")
    "Linda's Jingle" 1994
    "Meat Free Monday" 2009
    "Modern Dance" 2005
    "Perfect Lover" 2005
    "Preying Mantis Hard" (actually "Praying Mantis Heart", as heard in "Oobu Joobu")
    "Purple Daddio (Up The Radio)" 2000
    "Quarters" 2012
    "Rain Go Away Song" 2005
    "Road Trip" 2008
    "Sea" 1994
    "Secret" 2002
    "Sexual Healing" 1993
    "Stella May Day" 1995
    "Sweet Little Bird" 1994
    "Thank You Darling" 2001
    "Twenty Fine Fingers" 2013
    "Upon A Hill" 1994 (this is from the 1974 piano tape)
    "Us" 2006
    "Watching My Fish Drown" 2005
    "We Praise Our God For Yesterday" 1983
    "Well Darling" 2011
    "You Must Write Everyday" 2011

theMess likes this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Interesting point. I think the copyright entry makes it hard to argue that anything other than "Twenty Fine Fingers" is the official title of the song for now, but there are certainly many examples of songs that changed titles subsequent to registered for copyright. The even more interesting question is WHY it was entered for copyright protection at that time (and why other Mc/Mac songs like "Tommy's Coming Home" and "I Want To Confess" weren't).

14. theMess

Thank you for posting this, I haven't heard quite a few of these. I wonder what he is doing with them. He has shown that he will use songs decades old on new albums, hopefully that is what he is doing.

15. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I will never understand the hate that the RRS medley gets whether its here on SH.TV or anyone else I talk to. Every part of the medley is prime, imo and I wouldn't cut, edit or change a thing about..

"Baby I love you so"

daveidmarx and anthontherun like this.
  16. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

My impression of George Martin is he had the ability to focus on the positive - and perhaps pull Paul (or John) away from some of the weaker songs - but I don't think it was in his nature to call ANYTHING "rubbish"

I do think Paul and John learned to trust Martin over time. The worry that Martin might add "Montavani style strings" to "Yesterday" probably disappeared quickly.

The fact that Olivia suggested that George add strings to the acoustic "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" suggests George Harrison also was a fan of Martin's work.

For those who haven't found it - I highly recommend the box set of George Martin produced songs. The only flaw is there aren't enough discs. I tried reorganizing them into a chronological sequence of songs - and ended up adding FIVE extra discs worth of material. And since that time, I've stumbled across many more Martin produced songs and could probably add another two "discs" to what is now my "George Martin" playlist.

I'm still quite happy that I was in Reunion Arena in Dallas in 2002 when Paul announced that George Martin was at the concert.

theMess likes this.
  17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I can appreciate the medley now, but when Red Rose Speedway was first released the medley sort of annoyed me because it never seemed to come to a climax or any satisfying resolution. I'm not one of those people that need things to RAWWK, but at the time I thought the medley was a little cutesy, or at least lightweight.

18. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Some of these can be explained though. My responses in bold below:

theMess likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'm with you. My favorite Macca music is the "Abbey Road Medley", the "RRS Medley," and "Ram." Those are my high points amongst many highs.

20. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I think any musician benefits from having someone one step removed from the song-writing process who can take a more objective look at their songs. Paul probably relied on Linda for a long time but back in the Beatle days George Martin was great at that as evidenced by Abbey Road, a focused and structured professional work at a time when the band was anything but.
    Since the Beatles days Paul often seems random and unfocused, flitting sometimes from project to project with tons of great unreleased tracks and a lot of not-so-great released ones. It is what it is and I still love the man and his music but I feel that Paul isn't the best person to judge his own work sometimes, something that George Martin did very well I think.

theMess likes this.
  21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I agree. I think it'd be very interesting.

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Fancy Me Chances" was copyrighted in 2003 because of "Let It Be: Naked" (it's on the "Fly on the Wall" disc if I remember correctly). I sure hope it was copyrighted as Lennon-McCartney (or McCartney-Lennon). "Because I Know You Love Me So" is another early Lennon-McCartney song revisited during the "Get Back" sessions - no idea why the 1993 copyright.

A bunch of the 2011 copyrights are titles that appeared on the Quarrymen Liverpool 1960 tape, which entered the public domain in the U.K. in 2011, and was legally released. Some of these titles are just approximations - such as "I Don't Need No Cigarette Boy" and the imaginatively-titled "Instrumental".

Calico likes this.
  23. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

"That was me" is merely "Summer of 59" in drag :)

Greg

bocaymon likes this.
  24. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Wow, that's so cool to hear, sounds like the lad was 'Maccazapped' :)

Greg

25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Fascinating? Yes. And no. Just to take the one example above - this is most likely his little improvised bit done during his interview to promote FP on VH1. It really wasn't worth the effort the first time and it's certainly not worth viewing as some sort of unreleased song. Is it???

There's likely some neat stuff there, but who knows how much of the rest of that list is equally frivolous?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.