Paul McCartney songs that could be improved by editing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by urasam2, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The ‘and’-thing is typical McCartney. Sometimes it works great, like in ‘Here Today’, I think.

Dodoz likes this.
  2. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato Thread Starter

Dammit- I hadn’t noticed that one! Another song ruined!!

Yovra likes this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Not only are you missing the point with your application of grammatical rules to song lyrics, you're also wrong about the grammatical rules. From Grammarist:

Conjunctions to start sentences

"If anyone tells you starting sentence with a coordinating conjunction (and, but, for, nor, or,so, yet) is incorrect, hand them any piece of professional writing and have them take a look. In literature, journalism, speeches, and formal writing of all kinds, using these conjunctions to start sentences is more than just acceptable; it’s ubiquitous. Open any book, even one with technical, scholarly, or otherwise formal writing, and you are likely to find numerous examples. There are exceptions, of course, but these are rare. That there is some sort of rule against sentence-beginning conjunctions is an old myth that never seems to go away"

Conjunctions to start sentences - Grammarist

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Chris from Chicago and MitchLT like this.
  4. No more lonely nights

Sean likes this.
  5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Live and Let Die can lose the bridge.

Hey Jude is fine at 4-5 minutes.

Too Many People has too many bridges.

6. urasam2

Interesting. Three points:
    1. I hope you know I’m not being entirely serious
    2. Just because a lot of people do something doesn’t make it correct or acceptable
    3. The examples given in Grammarist of sentences starting with and, but, yet etc are all dependent on the preceding sentence. My objection is to opening the song with and, but etc, as there is nothing to follow on from.

So.

7. Shaddam IV

Respectfully, as I said, you're missing the point.

The fact that there is nothing preceding *is* the point. I'm sure if you think about it, you can come up with reasons why this device might be deliberately used to evoke something, something a good lyric might do. Try it!

If you want to cite a source, please do, otherwise, as I showed, it's perfectly acceptable.

8. urasam2

Ok, well I don’t think I’m missing the point as given in the Grammarist article. An example the author gives is “I think I’ll go to the store. Or maybe I’ll just stay home”. I’d say this is acceptable. Imagine the first sentence was “Or maybe I’ll just stay home.” I’d say this is not acceptable.
    My Love could have started with “Whenever I’m away” and I’d have been a happy bunny.

9. Shaddam IV

I said you're missing the missing the point *with your application of grammatical rules to song lyrics*.

I said you are wrong about *the grammatical rule*.

I don't want to go on with this because I think we've spent enough time on it :) I do think you may have been introduced to something here, and I'm happy ending on that note :)

10. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

Edit out the vocals and keyboards from "Wonderful Christmastime".

11. urasam2

Fine. My last word on this subject: I’ll retract my “grammatically indefensible” comment, as clearly incorrect grammar is common in songs. Many of Macca’s lyrics are also nonsensical but work ok as a vehicle for a funky track. But I still don’t like songs that start with “And”. Now, maybe if it were “.... and when I go away..” I think I’d settle for that. Peace and love

12. Thumper

Thumper Forum Resident

Conversely, Single Pigeon and Backwards Traveler should have been longer.

13. urasam2

I think Morse Moose could be greatly improved by editing out most of the long ending.
    I tried listening to the whole of Check My Machine this afternoon- great for about two and a half minutes then it had me losing the will to live

limoges likes this.
  14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I won't mention Bip Bop. Well, maybe just this once.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

she's my girl could use a scrubbing...

16. urasam2

Do you mean “She’s my baby”?

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The cheesy-listening summary of the songs so far on Band On The Run should - and can easily be - edited out of ‘Picasso’s Last Words’. Takes about a minute out and makes it a far better song.

Nope.

18. Shaddam IV

I love the take on "Jet" tho. I wish I had it as a stand alone track actually. Would make a great alternate version!

19. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Remix the whole of Venus and Mars and Wings at the Speed of Sound, for them to sound more like their Wings Over America counterparts that the rather lifeless studio versions. :D

20. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

I agree. I wish that "Back Seat" would have faded out during the repeating "We believe that we can't be wrong" phrases. To me, the screams Paul does after that are more "dork" than cool. Same goes for the whooping on the looonng ending to "Too Many People."

"Monkberry Moon Delight" should've faded around 4:30. After that point, Paul goes into more hyper dorky vocalizing. (There are several dorkish vocal moments on "Ram.")

"Kreen-Akrore" should have ended at 2:20 with the recapitulation of the cool guitar theme. The rest of the drum solo / heavy breathing are just boring. It would have been a stronger way to end the album.

21. hackjo

hackjo Forum Resident

Driving Rain - great tune with a good feel and a nice vocal. Just needs new lyrics and some editing to improve the transition between the sections, which are sometimes jarring.

22. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Actually McCartney himself did this in "Wings Over America" and the song works well despite being short.

23. urasam2

I wish I could edit out the sound of his fingers scraping on the strings in I’m Carrying. He thought it was a cool idea at the time but it’s not and ruins an otherwise decent track

24. urasam2

Yes - get rid of “12345- let’s go for a drive...”

Cynthia Tebbetts likes this.
  25. hackjo

hackjo Forum Resident

That's the bit. I like the "let's go there and back again... baby, baby" bit melodically, but the lyrics are crap.

urasam2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.