Paul McCartney v Wah Wah at the Concert For George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Was Clapton and the performers at the George Harrison Concert For George aware that they were singing an anti-McCartney song 'Wah Wah' with Macca present on stage that night ? Has Paul McCartney or anyone else ever commented about how Macca felt performing that song with everyone that incredible night?

2. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Nope no comment...I doubt Macca even knows..or cares...

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I think it's more of an anti-Beatles song than an anti-McCartney song.

4. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I've had the same question many times. Paul does have a strange look on his face a couple times during that song. I think they should have done a medley with Wah-Wah/How Do You Sleep? :winkgrin:

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I wouldn't call it an "Anti-McCartney" song, it's more of a "you stepped on my toes, Paul" song.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I know Macca doesn't have the thickest of skins, but I think that night was all about George and he more than anyone else apart from Ringo & Dhani, were more interested in doing George the justice of a fine tribute than the petty matter of what a single song was about.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never knew it was an anti-Macca song... :shrug:

8. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

I recall George stating that it was directed at Lennon & McCartney, as well as the whole situation with the Beatles at that time.

9. Lord Hawthorne

It's not. George has said he wrote it after that "I'll play any way you want me to, or I won't play at all" scene in "Let It Be", and he's also said he wrote it the same day he walked out of those sessions (where he was mad at John, but later "changed" it to Paul when the battle for Apple began). Either way, it's a grievance message, not in any way an attack on anyone.

10. He did write it during the time when he left the Get Back sessions. But from what I've read, he was more anti-Lennon/Yoko than anti-Macca at that time. So it would surprise me if the song is really an anti-Macca song, an anti-Beatles song would be more likely.

11. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I think Paul stole the show with his vocals on 'All Things Must Pass". He gave everything he had into that performance, IMO. Seemed like he was about to cry at certain points. So, couldn't have been to angry about Wah Wah (I can't honestly say I knew what it was about before reading this thread).

12. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

It was definitely an anti-Paul song.

13. Maidenpriest

Apparently Macca was going to sing the 'being there at the right time... And I'm thinking of you and all the things we used to do' lyric but it was changed to Jeff Lynne to sing at the last moment I wonder why that was?

14. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I really think you're digging for a story, of which there is none.

15. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I don't know why people are so quick to sweep the Beatles' tensions under the rug. I'm part of a very loving family and yet I could easily right a song about being annoyed with each member. I've never heard anyone deny that it was a song about Paul. Didn't George explain it in the Anthology dvds?

16. Maidenpriest

According to those at rehearsals it was Paul that was due to duet on Wah Wah, I personnaly think it was too much for Macca's voice singing with the whole heavy band due to Macca's current touring situation and so Lynne did it instead!

17. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Forum Resident

I thought it might be a slight at Clapton for his infringes on Patti, they did share the wah- wah pedal, which was a gift.

18. +1 :confused:

I've never heard or read until now, that "Wah Wah" was an anti-McCartney or anti-Beatles song.

19. Lord Hawthorne

Conspiracy theorists abound in Beatledom, too.

20. Marry a Carrot

George? Is that you?

21. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

At the very least you can hear Paul doing some vocal improvs at the end of the song.

22. I always took "Wah Wah" as a song about not needing the "myth" of The Beatles or fame.

23. Marry a Carrot

George's comments from I Me Mine. He mentions arguing with Paul, but that's not really his focus.

24. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

The song was about Tom Petty?

25. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

'Wah wah' is British slang - or it was at the time - for a headache. George did say somewhere that it was about the 'Get Back' arguments with McCartney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.