Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

These unexpected mid-70's shots of them together got added for the One On One tour in April 2016. 4:00. But I see there's actually another angle now. I believe Harrison was present at the 'Venus & Mars' launch party in 1975, but his hair was shorter then.

2. Dr Hibbert

Dr Hibbert Forum Resident

Paperback Writer likes this.
  3. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

That picture is from the signement of the legal disolution of The Beatles in 1974 at the Plaza in NY

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Correct. And John decided not to sign that day and instead sent a balloon.

5. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I feel like Paul is holding out on us with these photos. I bet he has a wealth of Beatles photos that he took from 63-70, and then a much smaller number that he or Linda took in the post-1970 years. He probably doesn't want to publish a photo book like Ringo's but I sure wish Paul would.

theMess and susyredstripe like this.
  6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Ah, of course. I thought that wasn't a possibility, since that was an painful moment for McCartney, and the black and white photos look as if they're both in great spirits:

theMess and Paperback Writer like this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I always wonder if any photos were taken during the Dakota John/Paul meets in 1976...

theMess and Fivebyfive like this.
  8. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Ditto. And James McCartney has claimed that John held him as a baby. James was born in 77 -- clearly after the last time J&P were supposed to have met in 76. Maybe James' memory is wrong, but if it actually happened, you'd think Linda would have snapped a pic of that, too.

theMess and ajsmith like this.
  9. Diego Esparcia

Reportedly Linda took some pics but they have never been seen.

10. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I always thought Only Our Hearts was by far the better of the two :hide:

11. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I understand your position Frank, I do. But waver too long and you might just regret it one day... Look who we’ve lost in the last few years. Roll on December in London!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    JoeRockhead and cs2003 like this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Paul has seen them ...

maccawings likes this.
  13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

He nearly lost it playing "Here Today" in Edmonton as well. Like I said, amazing that he can still be affected so much by a song he's played hundreds of times in the last sixteen years.

angelees and JoeRockhead like this.
  14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

He's coming to NOLA in March 2019. I'll probably make a last moment decision to go. Caught the 2014 tour, incredible show. I might go because THIS is the last time I may see him perform. he will be 77 in June!

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Almost like it's all for show or something. Weird.

utopiarun likes this.
  16. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

He played Miami last year. And cancelled the show and moved it to two days later after I had already booked flights. Not cool.
    I was traveling from Australia, my flight the next day to Milwaukee got delayed and delayed and then canceled and I almost missed Tom Petty that night. Was a very close call!
    Boy would I have been angry for a lifetime if I was stuck in Florida for a McCartney gig he canceled and then missed my one and only opportunity to see Petty as a result!

17. ohnothimagen

If that was the case -Paul choking up and getting the theatrical tear in the eye before the "What about the night we cried?" line- that would be unbelievably corny.

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Although of course as McCartney ages, with every tour the chances of it being ‘the last one’ increases, it’s interesting to reflect how long people have been anticipating the imminent end. I remember The Metro newspaper trailing an early 00s show as ‘probably your last chance to see a live Beatle’... yet on the evidence of McCartneys ongoing momentum in the years since, Who here would be that surprised to see him still touring in another 15 years?

The Band and ohnothimagen like this.
  19. ohnothimagen

I predict that seeing McCartney in concert will eventually be presented as "An Evening With Paul McCartney"- just Paul, an acoustic guitar and a piano, telling stories, maybe a bit of Q & A from the audience, and playing whatever he feels like. And the shows will still sell out.

siveld, jazon, ajsmith and 1 other person like this.
  20. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

That the kind of show I always dreamed about

21. corchians

corchians Forum Resident

Any news about the setlist of the private show made by Macca yesterday?

22. Diego Esparcia

I’ve seen somewhere that he played “A Hard Day’s Night,’’ “Love Me Do,’’ “Lady Madonna,’’ “Hey Jude,’’ “Back in the USSR.,’’ “Band on the Run,’’, “Golden Slumbers”. I don’t know whether he did a whole concert set or not (I suppose he shortened it).

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I saw Fleetwood Mac in Louisville last night and wanted to make an analogy that occurred to me.

Of course Neil Finn is not Lindsey Buckingham but he is still very talented and did an amazing job in the show.

I am on Team Lindsey and I am saying Neil Finn was absolutely great.

About 95% of the crowd was ambivalent to his existence on stage though.

I see the same 95% not giving a hoot if Paul plays a song that is not the Beatles or a Wings #1.

The love for deeper cuts and a little experimentation with the setlist just isn't there.

P.S. So so so happy that I finally got to see Christine McVie.

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Last week I saw another iconic songwriter in his 70s, John Prine. Prine, like McCartney, has a bag full of 45-50 year old songs that his audience expects to hear at every show. But with an album of 10 new songs to promote, could he sneak 3 or 4 into his set? To my shock and delight, Prine did all 10 of his new songs, stretched out across the evening. I didn't see a single person sprinting for the bathroom. Perhaps that's the difference between a show at the Ryman versus a show in an arena or stadium, or perhaps Prine attracts a different kind of crowd with different expectations. Or maybe surviving cancer, twice, makes you stop giving a crap if every last person has their lighter out and is singing along to every song. :)

utopiarun, Zeki, theMess and 10 others like this.
  25. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I will never, ever understand this. My Valentine is a minor masterpiece. It sounds like a lost George and Ira Gershwin tune. Only Our Hearts is generic Paul. Not even close.