Paul McCartney's unreleased 1971 single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Aug 25, 2017.

1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

Hi folks.
    These days I read somewhere that Paul was planning to release "Get On The Right Thing"
    as a single (or EP) in 1971, with "A Love For You" and
    "Great Cock And Seagull Race" on the b-side.
    It was even mixed by Dixon Van Winkle on A&R Studios in july 71
    but was scrapped once Paul decided to form a new band (Wings).

Is it true? If so, I would love to hear it.
    This mix of "Great Cock and Seagull Race" was released in 2012 on the remastered edition of RAM
    and is the only track from the single that came out.
    "Get On The Right Thing" was later remixed for inclusion on Red Rose Speedway
    while "A Love For You" was released in two distinct versions
    (The In Laws Sountrack and Ram Remaster).

None of them are the 1971 mix.

The later is easily found on bootlegs (I'm not sure though, there are so many versions),
    but this first mix of "Get On The Right Thing" is something that I would love to hear
    (as well as the version of "I Lie Around" sung by Paul, but that's another story).

You see I'm addicted to anything Ram related and the curiosity is killing me.
    Thank you, pals.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Really like the REd RoSe Speedway version.

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Did they actually get as far as mixing them all for the single release? If that's true, I'm dying to hear the completed 1971 single mix of "A Love For You."

I always thought they had planned on those songs but never got as far as mixing.

4. tug_of_war

Thank you guys for answering (it's been a while since I last came here).
    Well, it seems that this mysterious version of the song is about to be released on the RRS boxset...who knows.

5. tug_of_war

6. tug_of_war

7. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Never realized it was recorded during Ram sessions. Probably why I like it so much. There's an "early mix" version on RRS Deluxe, but I doubt it could be a single mix, it's rather poor.

tug_of_war likes this.
  8. tug_of_war

Oh yes, here comes another Beatley thread.

In case it disturbs you, feel free to just ignore it and have a good day.
    Please, avoid thread crapping. Thanks.

I'm starting this new thread because the old one is out of date and closed.

----------------------------------------------

So we've heard that Paul was planning the release of a single (or maxi-single) some time in 1971, between "Ram" and "Wild Life" - and that it was shelved once Paul decided to focus on the later.

The Paul McCartney Project site (A Love For You (song) ), on its text about the song "A Love For You", says the following:

"The track was prepared by Paul and Eirik Wilhelm Wangberg (aka ‘Erik the Norwegian’) to be released on a single (with ‘Get On The Right Thing’ as the a-side and ‘Great Cock and Seagull Race’ as third song) later that year, but then Wings was formed and the single never materialized."

Also, on the same site, there's this article (New Musical Express reports Paul McCartney considers to release a maxi-single ) by the New Musical Express from September of 1971 which basically says Paul was about to release a "maxi-single for release prior to the debut album by his new group, which is due out in mid-November".

It says the single was "in mixing stage" (but maybe that means "mastering stage") and that Paul's "London office is investigating the maximum amount of playing time it is possible to condense on to a single."

Judging by the two reports - and also by the 16-track sheets of the "Ram" sessions spread over the recent archive edition books - I think it's reasonable to say that:

• These three songs were mixed by Eirik "The Norwegian" during the mixing sessions for "Ram" - given that Eirik himself says on the interview for the Ram Archive Edition that he mixed the songs first and then was asked to choose the ones to go on the album. This would make the EP a true "Ram outtakes" release - much more than the Dixon Van Winkle mixes we got. I think this is a strong possibility.
    • The EP was going to have "Get On The Right Thing" on the A-side, backed with "A Love For You" and "The Great Cock And Seagull Race" both on the B-side.
    • A finished version of "A Love For You" exists possibly without the second verse (but repeating the first instead), without Denny Laine's backing vocals and without much of the instrumentation we're used to hear on the "Cold Cuts" versions. It's probably unheard by any of us!

And finally, The Paul McCartney Project page also mentions a second attempt at this single in November of 1971, this time with new mixes of "Get On The Right Thing" and "Little Woman Love" made at EMI Studios in London just after an interview to Melody Maker:

Why Lennon is uncool

Mixing "Get On The Right Thing", "Little Woman Love" (Nov 10, 1971)

And naturally Paul gave up a second time.

So, what do you guys know about it? Can anyone shed some light on it?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    905, supermd, BeatlesBop and 7 others like this.
  9. tug_of_war

By the way, this November 10th, 1971 remix of "Little Woman Love" is exactly the one released on the B-side of "Mary Had A Little Lamb" six months later.

supermd and edenofflowers like this.
  10. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Fully transparent citation here and a chance to plug the essential Eight Arms To Hold You book by Madinger and Easter. . .

"The Great Cock And Seagull Race" was aired on a WCBS broadcast in 1971. So the release idea made it that far into production at least that Paul was plugging it on the radio.

I thought I read somewhere that there was even a catalog number issued for this EP but I can't find that right now.

11. tug_of_war

So it was really close to being released at some point. Too bad it didn't happen.

supermd and DK Pete like this.
  12. tug_of_war

I just noticed that the version from the 1980 edition of "Cold Cuts" fits the description precisely. Of course, that's a 1980 remix, but it's the closest to a finished 1971 version we can get so far, since the song didn't receive any post-Ram overdub until January 1981 - or am I wrong?

13. omikron

Have you heard the version Paul did for the In Laws soundtrack.

That is another version where Paul took one of the base versions and finished it off.

There is also reportedly a round of 1986-ish overdubs for most of the Cold Cuts tracks. It was a proto idea to All The Best.

Check out this site for more details.

A Love For You – The Paul McCartney Project

14. tug_of_war

Yes, I've heard it. I think it's a lot better than the 1986 mix.
    But I've never heard of this song being planned for "All The Best". Wasn't it "Waterspout"?

15. omikron

I am not sure there is a documented source but as the story goes, the initial idea floating was Hot Hitz and Cold Cutz even going back to the 70s. A disc of greatest hits and then the Cold Cuts idea. It was supposedly resurrected again for the upcoming compilation package after Press To Play using the material last touched by Wings in 1981. Even more overdubs and dated 80s mixing occurred in 86/87.

HH/CC was the idea again since still after all these years none of the tracks were used outside of Coming Up and Spies Like Us B-sides. Then it got pared down to just 1 greatest hits package with supposedly Waterspout and then finally just All The Best.

There must be some truth to the Hot Hitz concept for 1987 as two tracks crept out as B-sides to Put It There with the 1986/87 sweetening. The swanky Blue Sway on the McII archive has 1986 work cited.

905 and tug_of_war like this.
  16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

My problem with "in laws" version was he decided to throw in his, at the time, present day adlib vocals at the end, which basically ruined it.

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I haven’t gotten to this part of McCartney Legacy. What do they say about a 1971 mix for this song? I would think, if it happened, they would mention it.

905 and tug_of_war like this.
  18. tug_of_war

"Mama's Little Girl" and "Same Time Next Year" were mixed by Bill Price in 1987 while "Blue Sway" and "A Love For You" were mixed by Jon Kelly In August 1986. So maybe these were two different versions of "Cold Cuts"...

supermd and theMess like this.
  19. tug_of_war

It was almost released as a maxi-single in September of 1971.

20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

They could do boxed set of all the Cold Cuts variations and mixes.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Do they confirm that in the book? I’m curious. I’ve been dying to hear these finished 1971 mixes for all 3 of these songs.

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Top of my McCartney wish list.

joelee, Z00r0pa, 905 and 2 others like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m pretty sure those “modern-day vocals” (really will, really can, really do, really have a love for you) were recorded in 1986. You can hear them on the 1986 mix from the Ram deluxe.

But I agree having an officially-released mix using only his 70s vocals would be preferable, like on the 1981 Cold Cuts mix.

Having said that, those newer vocals don’t ruin the In Laws version for me. It’s a pretty dang good mix of it. I just wish there was no modern compression.

Paul H and tug_of_war like this.
  24. tug_of_war

No, but it quotes engineer Eirik "The Norwegian" saying that he mixed the songs first and then was asked by Paul to choose the ones to go on the album and sequence them. This means that the 12 tracks on the album aren't the only ones he mixed at the time.

But the source for this maxi- single story is the New Musical Express:
    Now where this information on the track list* came from is a mystery to me.

Track list*

Side A: "Get On The Right Thing";
    Side B: "A Love For You", "The Great Cock And Seagul Race".

supermd likes this.
  25. tug_of_war

That's the 1980 mix.

The 1981 mix has new lyrics written for the second verse.