Paul Weller Vinyl Reissues of S/T and Wild Wood-November 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Aug 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The first four -- really just the first two, of being honest with myself -- were the only ones I have that I needed a potential upgrade on due to age and wear. Even when I was mainly buying CDs in the '90s and up through 2009, I still bought every Weller release on vinyl, so I'm lucky to have everything but the elusive single for "7 & 3 Is the Striker's Name." If they continue, I guess I might pick up the rest so I can have backups for my originals, but really, I'm ready for new Weller material at this point!

2. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

A very wise strategy... I'm envious. Having bought everything Weller did on CD over the years I'm now working through the vinyl. But, like you, I'm ready for new material and looking forward to the upcoming album and soundtrack releases.

e.s. likes this.
  3. Munros1969

Here's what you need...
    Buy Paul Weller - 7 & 3 Is The Strikers Name (Vinyl) at Discogs Marketplace

e.s. likes this.
  4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I went into my local Fopp and saw they had the latest two releases - had a look - £39 each¡!!!!!!!!!

I have NEVER seen vinyl like this priced so high.

You have to be insane to buy them at that price.

6. Munros1969

That's the one gap in my Style Council collection on vinyl. Very expensive. I'm holding out for a complete box set to plug that gap and upgrade some of the other discs. Here's hoping.

e.s. likes this.
  7. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Exactly. And to make things worse a record store owner told me that the record company have said they won't be reissuing Weller on vinyl again after this run of releases is completed...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Makes no sense...

Revolver likes this.
  9. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Indeed; if there's a market for these things they should be kept available.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

And Weller himself is a big fan of records.

AJK74 likes this.
  11. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

that is called greed. they know Weller is a god here and how much originals cost these days so... but **** them, I advise everyone to buy those reissues from US ebay sellers - they're now from 20 to 24 pounds each incl postage depending on the tittle and the sellers are duty/vat friendly.

Jim B. likes this.
  12. Munros1969

Completely agree. I'm a fan and want these records on vinyl, so I end up buying them. However the prices are obscene.

The recent limited edition live Jam vinyl discs are an example of how it could / should be done for the Weller solo reissues... very nicely packaged double sets for around £22 a pop. No reason whatsoever why the single solo discs shouldn't come in at a price point way under this.

Jim B. and e.s. like this.
  13. jmatuchi

jmatuchi Forum Resident

Looks like amazon.ca has screwed up. As someone said above, there are multiple listings for SR and HS...one set w pics showing as in stock (and inflated price), and one set without pictures (the ones I ordered), showing as being released March 10.

Idiots.

14. jmatuchi

jmatuchi Forum Resident

Which one are you looking to get? The single vinyl or double vinyl?

15. Munros1969

Ideally the double. I have it on CD as part of the Keeps On Burning box set and rarely listen to it so not keen to pay a huge amount for it on vinyl.

16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Of course he has to say that. To make an overpriced product seem desirable. A future investment!!!

Bollocks to that.

jmatuchi likes this.
  17. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Worse still, I made the mistake of ordering the debut album from Amazon Canada at what seemed like a more reasonable price....unfortunately I got hit with import taxes so it ended up costing more than if I'd just got it from HMV. ffs!

The pricing has p***ed me off no end, as it has everybody else. It's not like these pressings are of (for example) MFSL quality.

Jim B. likes this.
  18. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Nah, it was a secondhand shop. I'd bought a George Harrison LP and this prompted his concern over the price of the new ATMP box, the Weller reissues and the possible effect on the relative popularity of vinyl...

19. peter

peter Senior Member

Back in 1993, the local Bay Area shops couldn't give away vinyl copies of Live Jam. I missed it and have not seen it in 20+ years. Re: Extras by The Jam, I did not even know that had a vinyl release in the 90's until about 2 years ago. I think I saw it once at Amoeba but it was beat.

Fortunately, I bought almost all of the Weller vinyl upon release. Missed the BBC though, which of course goes for silly money. Another sigh.

20. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Does anyone know if Weller is going to reissue any other albums like Heliocentric etc??

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

My replacement SR arrived from Amazon and is perfecto! :thumbsup:

riknbkr330 likes this.
  22. jmatuchi

jmatuchi Forum Resident

I noticed something interesting about the amazon.ca listings. The ones I pre-ordered for $24 CDN dollars are listed as "Label: Universal Music". The newer more expensive ones are listed as "IMPORT" and Label is "Mercury".

AND the release date has changed to March 31!!!!

I suspect they will keep pushing the date and eventually cancel these pre-orders. I have sent them a nasty email to honour my pre-order and send me the damn things. I'll report back when I hear something.

sjaca likes this.
  23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

My local source said that March 31 is the Canadian date given by his distributor for release of Stanley Road and Heavy Soul.
    The other option at this point is the USA.

The way these titles have rolled out is crazy. Canada got Paul Weller and Wildwood like a month
    before the USA, and now the next two the USA has a month before Canada. Considering the vinyl
    is all the same, the differences in release dates and prices is just very disappointing.

sjaca and jmatuchi like this.
  24. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Three copies of 'Stanley Road' so far and all three have had little clusters of scratches somewhere on them, causing various repeating pops and tics. Hoping for fourth time lucky. Incredible that they are priced as they are with this quality control!

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Bummer. I haven't run into any major issues with my SR, but then I haven't listened to it all the way through. It was certainly dirtier than any brand new vinyl should ever be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.