Paul Williams Still Alive -- anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I haven't seen it but now I'd like to,.

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting character. I have not seen nor heard any media coverage of him for some time now.

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

It is getting good notices in LA & he has been doing a bunch of local talk shows here. Will take it in tomorrow before it goes off to never,never land.

5. KimiAndRitz

KimiAndRitz Forum Resident

Simply put, tt is amazing. If you are a fan, do all you can to see it. I could go on about how great it is forever. I really hope I can see it again, there are so many rare clips and things in the film that it's one you have to watch a few times to catch everything.

Sadly, I fear there may not be a dvd release any time soon because of the hundreds and hundreds of video & audio clips in it. I'm thinking they'll run into the same problem the folks who made The Wrecking Crew have with royalties, clearances, etc.

But do not miss it if it shows up in your area.

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I saw it at SIFF a few weeks ago, wonderful film. Williams is very upfront about his demons and shortcomings, and overall he comes across as a pretty decent guy - albeit, difficult and somewhat closed-off.

Probably not as much focus on his music career as I'm sure most of us on here would like. Mostly focused on his larger-than-life persona (back in his heyday), contrasted with his current low-key touring.

7. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

8. TeacFan

Enjoyable & at times odd film. Not what I was expecting, but want to see it again.
    Question..that Philippines tour..he was co-billed with, I guess, a stand-up comic. Who was this person? I guess he got good pay for this, but would not discuss this item. Almost saw him at the South Point in Vegas last year as I was staying there but laughed it off.

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It just debuted on Showtime this month (check listings)--I watched it last night and was pretty disappointed. One of those documentaries where the filmmaker injects himself way too much into the process. An interesting story still waiting to be told, even if Williams himself seems uninterested in telling it.

10. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, but man, am I sick of the memememe documentaries where the documentarian is more interested in screen time for themselves than the subject at hand...

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched the DVD the other day and found it tough to take due to the director's focus on himself. It's not really about Paul Williams - it's about the director's attempts to come to terms with his own lackluster career...

Vidiot likes this.
  12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

"Paul Williams? Heard you were dead."

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

He's definitely still around. He made an appearance on Yo Gabba Gabba! (one of my kid's favorite shows) a few years back. He performed "The Rainbow Connection"

IronWaffle likes this.
  14. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

Just watched this. Very good. However, the director looked like an ass with some of his "tabloid" type questions. Paul does call him to the carpet. This movie has a very happy ending.

15. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

As I got to thinking about it, I wish more discussion on his songwriting was featured.

alchemy likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I wish more discussion of anyone other than the director was featured! :help:

17. Watching this today. It's really interesting, and while it uses humor from inclusion of the director's doubts and fears, what sticks is a very genuine feeling for exactly who Paul Williams is and what his life is today. And all that defies easy summation. One obvious conclusion, though . . . he needs Irving Azhoff in his corner.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone really need to make a deal with the devil? Not sure that ever works out really well.

Well, perhaps for The Eagles. In this life, anyway.

19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I now have zero urge to watch this, although I might have if it was better. Who gives a crap about the director?

20. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I watched this several weeks ago. Quite enjoyable. I didn't mind the director.

21. Oatsdad

His mother? :D

Don't think I ever linked to my review - here it is if anyone's interested:

http://www.dvdmg.com/paulwilliamsstillalive.shtml

Beauvoir likes this.
  22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well, it really is a pretty good documentary and I would disagree that it's more about the director. There is some focus on the director, which I don't think really added much to the film. BUT, I have to admit, as long as he hanging out with Paul Williams (18-24 months iirc) I actually did wonder about him. Its obvious that the director and Paul became friends during this time and it leads to Paul opening up to him. In my opinion it doesn't ruin the documentary.

I'll admit to not being the biggest Paul Williams fan - I do recall him being EVERYWHERE in the 1970s - but this film was well worth the time and I would recommend it.

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I always think of H.R. Puffnstuff when I see Paul Williams.
    Not the music, but the character. :)

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Recently got the DVD and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It reminds me of the Harry Nilsson documentary but with a happier ending.

25. TeacFan

Wish I had his home in Balboa Bay/Newport Beach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.