PBS Program: "JFK: The Lost Inaugural Gala"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob F, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Airing later this Memorial Day week on PBS-TV stations nationwide...

In celebration of John F. Kennedy’s 100th birthday on May 29, 2017, JFK: The Lost Inaugural Gala opens a window into the glamour and excitement that descended on the nation’s capital for his 1961 inauguration, with a never-before-seen musical event: the Pre-Inaugural Gala produced by and starring Frank Sinatra. It was a star-studded musical celebration videotaped for national broadcast with performances by Sinatra, Ethel Merman, Harry Belafonte, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Gene Kelly and more. But a colossal blizzard knocked out power in DC, and those show-stopping performances remained in the vaults — until now.

Scheduled to be broadcast the following week, the gala featured top Hollywood celebrities and some of the greatest musical performers of the era, which was all part of the plan according to Vanity Fair contributing editor Todd Purdum. “One of the goals of this gala was to basically declare that with this new administration the arts were going to have a new and more prominent, more important role in American political life,” he said. “President Kennedy was saying, ‘Yeah, there’s a new breeze. And we are looking at culture in our country in a different way, and it’s an exciting way.”

Producer and host Frank Sinatra, at the peak of his fame, used his considerable influence and power to draw the nation’s top talent, even convincing producer Leland Hayward to close two shows on Broadway so Ethel Merman and Laurence Olivier could participate. Sinatra also made a point of featuring African American artists at the gala — Ella Fitzgerald, Harry Belafonte and Nat King Cole — signaling a more inclusive administration and a new era in the U.S.

kennyluc1, Beaneydave, JohnO and 7 others like this.
  2. Bob F

3. Bob F

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Thanks so much for posting this. I just set my DVR!

MikaelaArsenault and Bob F like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Should be interesting to watch!

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Recorded it last night. I shall watch very soon. Damn near time this is released. Wasn't it caught up in (what I laughingly call) the Lawford estate?

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wow -- not only is this exciting and unexpected, but I see it's airing eight times on the two Seattle/Tacoma PBS stations, starting June 1.

MikaelaArsenault and paulmock like this.
  8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

^ I'm moving to Seattle.

Living in the La Crosse DMA, I have Wisconsin Public Television for my PBS station. They aren't broadcasting this show but then, we lose three days of prime time programing this week for an annual auction that is a huge fundraiser for them. Maybe I can get it later this week using my Apple TV and the PBS app. I'd really like to see this.

9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Warning..this is a pledge drive event and for a 90 minute showing, only a small part is devoted to the show. Does the DVD being pitched contain the whole thing, or just highlights? Contains lots of cutaways of JFK newsreel footage.

10. Bob F

I expect it will be viewable on YouTube, once the pledge drives are over. A few years ago, the entire concert recording was available officially on YT from the JFK Library, but as often happens, it was pulled.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. TeacFan

The credits flashed by and there is a notation of the approval of the Sinatra crew for this release. Will have to review it when it runs again for proper verbiage, but knowing their relationship to YT, bet not.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Bob F

Nancy S. has posted a link to the first video in the OP on Sinatra Family Forum, and she thanked me for my equivalent post over there. If this is placed online by PBS stations, as I expect/hope, it may escape the copyright axe.

13. TeacFan

Why would PBS do that?? The pitch is that this is the ONLY way to get the "lost show" as it seems to be marketed as a PBS exclusive. Not to be indelicate, but it may be looked at as a cash cow for PBS station subscriptions. Wonder if the JFK Library, that has the original production tape, make it available there à la the Nixon tapes at his library?

14. Bob F

Many such PBS shows are shown online once their on-air life cycle has expired. I think that PBS has more clout and chance of approvals than the presidential libraries. (Note that the Nixon White House concert was also pulled from YouTube, despite being an official library posting.)

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You know Nancy?

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Bob F, thanks for info!

MikaelaArsenault and Bob F like this.
  17. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Some PBS sites show the DVD and indicate that it contains "81 minutes of bonus material".

18. TeacFan

During our "commercial breaks" the talking heads indicated, I think, 20 minutes bonus (?) I get the feeling this DVD is a "best of" presentation as the original show went on forever due to all kinds of problems and then was rejected by NBC, excuse being the lighting stunk. It mostly appears to be a valentine/love fest of JFK filled with cutaway filler footage.

19. Bob F

20. Bob F

21. Bob F

Ron: I read those websites to mean 81 minutes total. I believe the raw program, as being shown on TV (minus pledge breaks), is 57 minutes. (This is based on a private video link found in a Google search. The video is password-protected by the producer, but Google shows the run length.)

"The Lost Inaugural Gala" Vimeo - Google Search

22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nancy's the coolest chick :tiphat:

zoltantamas likes this.
  23. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Thanks Bob, it's airing here on June 10th, my DVR is set!

Bob F likes this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

On a Reprise session (I believe for Sinatra & Strings) Mr.S recorded some overdubs for the introductions of the performers to be used on the never-to-happen LP of the Gala.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  25. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.