PBS' "Wolf Hall"--anyone looking forward to this?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

2. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Yes. am currently in a reading/watching Tudors phase. The less said about the Showtime series, the better.

Now if we can only get a series about Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk. And maybe an honest one about Henry VIII's two sisters, Margaret and Mary. That dreadful Showtime series combines them into one, no children so apparently Mary Queen of Scots and Lady Jane Grey and has "Margaret" married/killing King of Portugal (it was Mary wearing out the older King of France).

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Great series. Mark Rylance is unbelievably good.

lbangs likes this.
  4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It is a great series. The portrayal of Thomas Cromwell is extremely favourable towards him though.

5. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Huge anticipation here. The books were the most stunning novels I've read in years. The writing is so cinematic that it screameds out for film/tv treatment. The first couple seasons of The Tudors covered the same events, but that was just a costume drama, cast with too-contemporary-looking model types

lbangs likes this.
  6. Karsten

Karsten Forum Resident

I see that the series has already aired on the BBC. I'm really anticipating the chance to see it. The novels are exceptional, but I'm curious how they managed to translate them into a different medium. In the books, we sympathize with (Mantel's version of) Cromwell even when he does horrible things, because we are made to understand his motivations, the inner mechanisms of his decision-making and emotional journey. Sometimes this inner narrative is quite different from how the external unfolding of events could be interpreted without that insight. In fact, this was to me perhaps the most interesting aspect of the books, and also one of the most controversial. With the natural restrictions of a dramatic series, it will be really interesting to see how this dichotomy is handled in the series.

7. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

The books are excellent.

My two favorite television critics have praised the series to the stars.

I'm on board.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

8. The Panda

Lots of praise here as well. The reviewer is also aware of the Broadway version, but likes the way that the television version gets to really flesh out the characters and (literally) people get to talk slower. He does kind of say it's a bit of a stretch to paint Thomas More negatively.

9. Commander Lucius Emery

Of course if Henry VIII had listened to Sir Thomas More, then he would not have annulled his marriage to Catherine of Aragon and there would be no Elizabeth I.

10. brew ziggins

11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Rylance delivers on that ambiguity. He is wonderful in this.

lbangs likes this.
  12. Commander Lucius Emery

I noticed they have Joanne Whalley playing Catherine of Aragon. Yup, another brunette playing a woman with reddish-blond hair.

13. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Is this supposed to be the Tudor "Downton Abbey"?

14. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

No.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

16. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to it. I liked both books; Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies.

17. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

Boy, Mark Rylance is giving one of the best performances I've seen on television in quite some time.

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

18. brew ziggins

It kind of sneaks up on you. All of a sudden, about halfway through ep 2, I found myself thinking "Mark Rylance is really good in this role". I also think Damien Lewis is doing a nice channeling of Henry.

Coricama, chrischerm and lbangs like this.
  19. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

He certainly is!

lbangs likes this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Looks more like a Tudor "House of Cards" from what I've seen.

brew ziggins likes this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a Tudor "The Tudors."

brew ziggins and lbangs like this.
  22. The Panda

Now we've been introduced to Thomas More. I swear, that dinner scene was like something out of the Coens.
    Rylance is indeed wonderful. I hope the low key acting doesn't mean instant ignoring come awards time.

brew ziggins and lbangs like this.
  23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yes, very much enjoying this when I hadn't planned on it at all.

John K.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I've been out of the country, so I have some catching up to do. I have read both books.
    The Broadway production (6 hours long, and imported from London courtesy of the Royal Shakespeare Company) got good, but not great, reviews. I had planned to see it, but now I'm having second thoughts. Discount tickets in its future perhaps?
    I've seen Rylance on stage three times. Each time he won a Tony. And he deserved all three. But all three were bravado/scenery chewing characters. This is something different for him.

25. brew ziggins

If you haven't read the books, you simply must. The finest fiction I've read in years. The writing is sublime; the characters are so sharply drawn that I often felt as if I was actually watching a movie. Certainly a more visceral experience than the bloodless, overly glossy The Tudors, which I devoured right after finishing Bring Up the Bodies and jonesing for more.

I cannot wait for volume 3.

Edit. I see I've already posted these sentiments. But it can't be said enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.