Pearl Harbour movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Claus, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I have seen a 3 DVD-set... anyone has watched the Director's cut? I have read the reviews in our news and they were not amazed... "too clean" for a war theme... the DVD-set is very cheap... is it worth?

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Darn, I was hoping someone had made a documentary about early '80s New Wave group Pearl Harbour & the Explosions... :p

Haven't seen the director's cut of Michael Bay's film, but the theatrical version was so wretched that I frankly doubt they could do anything to salvage it. I'd get a copy of Tora! Tora! Tora! instead.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Actually, it's a FOUR-DVD set, at least in Region 1. EXCELLENT package, okay movie - I didn't hate it like many, but I didn't love it either. But it's a top-notch DVD - if you can buy it for little money, give it a go. It might be worth it just for all the excellent extras.

Here's a link to my review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/pearlharborvista.shtml

4. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I saw the movie on satelite TV. The action scenes look like video games to me.

I still prefer Tora! Tora! Tora! as Mike does.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The two are apples and oranges, really - about the same subject, but not the same style of film.

Frankly, I think "Tora!" is overrated. It's a mediocre film that does some things well but does others poorly. For all the criticisms that it's sanitized, at least "Pearl Harbor" conveys the impression folks got hurt on 12/7/41 - the "G"-rated "Tora!" doesn't.

FWIW, here's my review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/toratoratora.shtml

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Most definitely. The two were made 31 years apart, and targeted at vastly different movie goers.
    Tora! Tora! Tora! is mediocre? That will be a complement for Pearl Harbor, IMO.

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Or "From Here to Eternity"

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

pearl harbor is one of the worst films ever, but at least it didn't get nominated for a zillion awards like 'titanic'.

IMHO, 'titanic' is the the worst film ever to win award after award and yet was a horribly bad film, horribly bad.

renny

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Don't do it, Claus! One of the worst big-budget war movies ever. PEARL HARBOR looks like a retro-styled photo shoot for a contemporary fashion magazine or catalog hawking "authentic" bomber jackets, with an expensive but unconvincing backdrop, and videogame inserts for the action. Truly wretched.

In addition to its own mediocrity, PEARL HARBOR come out after SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and THIN RED LINE, and looked positively ridiculous and lightweight in comparison.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments... instead of PH, I bought Sleepy Hollow (2 DVD-set) today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.