Pearl Jam to re-issue No Code and Yield on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paranoid Android, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

My best mate and I have been having this exact conversation about Pearl Jam drummers, MC's fit and why he is so badass in Soundgarden but not so much in Pearl Jam since 1998!

2. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

That is just so totally bitchin. My god, that groove. Love the way the studio version ends with the sound of his drum sticks clanking all over the place, supposedly it was a hard track to do and after nailing it he hiffed his sticks at the back wall. Real people making real music and you can hear the energy.

James Bennett and Pieter Kozak like this.
  3. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

well, yeah, it is possible when it's warped "dish" like.

4. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

Yeah I read that too. Apparently he threw the drum sticks in anger for having to do so many takes, that's what you hear at the end of the track. Awesome!

5. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

I love Jack Irons too, He had a great drum kit, very minimal but boy could he get a great sound out of that kit. They lost the plot employing Matt Cameron.

6. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

A lot of Jack irons here

7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident Thread Starter

They need Matt to make $ on tour - he's a pro for sure.

8. Kakev

Kakev New Member

Yeah, you can feel the tension. Same thing after brain of j, I think it was mike who threw a gtr across the room after final take which is the bang you hear.

Bloody marwellous drummer that dave a. Totally get what some refer as overplaying, like he's having a contest to keep all the symbals moving all the time. But that was only live, studio tracks are quite bare and simple, almost little constrained. But he sure sounded good and had a groove.

Overall pj have been blessed with brilliant drummers. though dont understand Jack Iron referred as master of groove. He's like an anchor they trying to drag along :) but he is part of the sound on no code and yield.

Now I have listened yield twice. It really is not bad sounding vinyl. Though have to admit the cd is already borderline decent, but the clarity is up a notch on the vinyl. Just wish that they would have been less generous with the low end.

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  9. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

Listening to the Single Video Theory (posted above) through my office system (Laptop --> Dragonfly --> RadioShack 3.5mm RCA --> cheap T-chip amp --> Monster Cable speak wire --> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR) was much more enjoyable than the newly reissued vinyl on my home $ system. It just doesn't sound that good. (No Code, on the other hand, is a different story)

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My replacement No Code came. Slightly flatter but still has a warp and in a similar way to the other copy. Its not a gradual warp but seems to be warped in different directions. This copy's warp is well below what would cause any tracking issues but its still there...just not as severe. I doubt there are many out there that are completely flat. I did listen again and this is a good listen, some tracks sound really good but well below what it could be if done analog.

I did get a different set of polaroids though...and i havent seen these ones as often.

RubenH and Pieter Kozak like this.
  11. PantherInCrime

PantherInCrime Forum Resident

this is true, it's a loop

12. Kakev

Kakev New Member

Could be a loop, I dont know. But the reason to loop something might not be the inability to play something twice. So, just out of curiosity, would someone like to share a credible source for this?

To me, dave a is perfectly capable drummer with great feel. And like how his kit sounded.

Oh, my replacement no code has arrived. Maybe some day I can be arsed to pick it up.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Picked up No Code at Grimeys today (they didn't have Yield in stock, unfortunately). I think I have better luck than some in this thread, but still some annoying loud pops here and there on Side 1. It's reasonably flat, and when there isn't a loud pop, it's fairly quiet. Sounds good on my HE-560's, although again I don't have an original LP to compare it to. But it's my favorite PJ album, so I'm pretty happy this exists.

RubenH likes this.
  14. PantherInCrime

PantherInCrime Forum Resident

From bass player magazine, 1994: AMENT: I've always liked hypnotic grooves -- ones that make you want to move. Sometimes when things are all over the place, you're never really able to get into the groove. On "W.M.A.," I originally wanted my part to be a bass loop, but we ended up using a drum loop instead, with percussion on top. The idea was to have the drums and bass be a steady motion throughout the song, with the vocals and guitars moving around them.

oneway23 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  15. Kakev

Kakev New Member

Thanks! This would've been my guess why they would loop instruments.

16. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I am supposed to get no code today, fingers crossed its not warped.

17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

(also to Richbdd01) I assume you both have the CD ... curious as to how the LP (aside from the vinyl-specific issues of course) compares to the CD. Worth the $35 ? Thanks!

18. Marty DiBergi

Marty DiBergi Forum Resident

NO CODE - i compared my 1996-us-pressing to the reissue. the orginal sounds better on my system. seperation is better. especially the quieter tracks like "sometimes" have more nuances and air. it´s a little like the soundstage is wider and more 3d. it has more air. the reissue sounds more compressed and narrow. the bottom end on the original is pretty punchy (like on the reissue) but on the original the bass is more nuanced and has more vibe vs on the reissue it sounds more artificial. that was quiet a surprise since i didn´t expect that and thought the reissue could even be an improvement. the reissue is decent but the original is better. but maybe the reissue is how it´s supposed to sound and the original is all wrong and i just got used to it ;-)

YIELD - the reissue clearly beats the original pressing in every way i feel. the original pressing of "yield" always felt a little lackluster but "no code" never did (at least for my ears).

Stone Turntable, nitsuj and richbdd01 like this.
  19. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Finally received my No Code today, Slight warp but sounds good.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You got a good copy, doesnt look too warped at all..

ToddH likes this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, after waiting around 2 weeks I totally expected this after making the horrible mistake of ordering from Frys (I get almost all of my stuff from amazon, Ebay, or Discogs). I got Yield and No Code last night. Packed in your simple cheap record box with a piece of bubble wrap on one side. Absolutely no corner protection..and sure enough the corners were mangled on both records. For fun I unwrapped them and sure enough a large edge warp on No Code. Ok, time for a phone call to Frys. I spent 25 minutes on the phone to determine that I could not return them to a store and that they had to be shipped back. Then each step in the process had to be approved by a supervisor (for each record). They even estimated a return shipping label would be provided within three business days! Wow, what a horrible experience! Well, reordered from Amazon and will report back soon...

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

These days that is a good copy...sigh...

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

For these it is...sad times!

24. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

That's annoying, but at least not audible. My original copy is warped about like that. In fact the majority of my original PJ vinyl is warped similarly.

25. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I listened to it all the way through and it sounds good. It really has to be cranked volume wise. I like the sound of this over the sound of the yield record.

Either way for 45 bucks to have both of these on vinyl I am happy and will listen to them a ton. No complaints.

richbdd01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.