People, I love ya but there is no such word as VINYLS. It's "VINYL", no 's' at end.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

This is very entertaining and serves mostly as an illustration that many of us have way too much time on our hands.

However, I think vinyls would be OK if anyone used it in the singular as in " I'm going to the record store to get me a vinyl."

But it's not used that way (and the point that vinyl is also a material is immaterial. When I was a kid we used to call ball bearings used as marbles "steels." We would use the singular - "Are you going to shoot with a steel?" and the plural - " Do you have any steels you want to trade.") Vinyl is used as a collective term for vinyl record albums. It is already plural. It does not need an 's'.

If you want to say vinyls anyway, though, it's OK with me. It actually sounds better to say "I'm going out to get me some Divinyls vinyls" than to say you're going to get some Divinyls vinyl. Either way people are likely to think you're kind of a douche.

Use_Your_Koala, Stan and scobb like this.
  2. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

LP record is what I first knew them as.
    Just like "cassette" for a compact cassette tape and "8 track" for an 8 track cartridge or a "reel to reel" for a 4 track tape reel.
    Don't even know if teens and twentysomthings are in large part aware of all those formats.

Grant likes this.
  3. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

4. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Yuck! I never heard anyone say that. If anyone goes to pick up just one, they say "a record", or "an LP". Lol, anyone that says "A vinyl" needs a white glove swatted across the face.

5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

While at times, and when appropriate, I have no problem referring to a record by the material it is made of - vinyl. But I never say "vinyls". It's like saying you're going to a book store to buy a paper, or papers. In the same sense that if I am going to a record store I am buying a record or records.

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I never say "vinyls", but whenever I use the term "vinyl", it's to distinguish the configuration of a record, as in "I have that one on vinyl." Cassettes and CDs are also records. If it's recorded, it's a record. That's my take on it anyway. No one referred to records as vinyl when that was the only configuration, but now we have CDs (and I still have cassettes and even still have 20 8-track tapes which are keepers until I can find those albums on vinyl or CD).

7. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Show me the vinyl!

8. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I've never heard anybody refer to an 8 track tape as a "record."

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Some records are albums, some are singles, and some are EPs. If an entire album is on 8-track tape, it's an album which is a type of record (since it's recorded). However, some use the word "record" for vinyl records, and "cassette", "CD" and "8-track" for the other configurations. That works,too.

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Now, if can we just stop the media from using the word "weed". It isn't "weed" folks, it's Mary Jane. ;)

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I smoked some weeds.

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

This thread has had 37,000 views? Astonishing.

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Including yours? I can't speak for others but I am curious how many pages can be filled with the same 2 0r 3 points. Maybe it should have been stickied at the top of the Music page and replies not permitted.

15. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

It's "records" for me. "Vinyl" is an acknowledgement that the lesser formats exist.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  16. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

It's those damn HIPSTERS! Every time they google "vinyls" this thread pops up.

EasterEverywhere and Jupiter like this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

not just plural but with an apostrophe!!!

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

"Vinyl's where it's at", is what it's supposed to read.

Mylene likes this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Who's Vinyl?

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Cosmo Vinyl, minister for information for The Clash!! ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    EasterEverywhere and Dave S like this.
  21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I’d like to meet this guy and see if he would like to sell some of his records.

Dave S likes this.
  22. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's vinyl not matter how many records you're talking about. A friend of mine trademarked the phrase "The Plural Of Vinyl Is Vinyl" and has a line of t-shirts with that phrase on them. In fact over the recent holidays he busted a major retailer for selling knockoff shirts with his slogan on them.

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Really? These shirts sell? I'm impressed.

Use_Your_Koala likes this.
  24. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

So many pages in this thread now and I've followed it for the most part, since early on but don't recall seeing one place where it IS permissible! :uhhuh:

Where I work (a charity shop) we have a book on the shelf called Rock Vinyls. :eek: It's been there for months on end....

It's in French though - and I fancied getting it, but as they say - it's too much reading. Especially when I only remember a handful of words from school, 30+ years ago!

Exhibit 'A'

[​IMG]

I see, there's also a Progressive Rock Vinyls too - perhaps others as well? So it's French then for.... what?! Google Translate, into English gives us the word 'Vinyls'!! :shh:

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Interesting choice of album covers. The Rain Parade one has also been cropped like the CD release (the LP has the whole of the red balloon).

OneStepBeyond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.