Percentage of used records in your collection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

Don't go OCD and start counting and doing the maths. Just a rough aproximate out of the top of your head.

2. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

90%+ most likely. I've been garage saleing and thrifting for most of my life.

3. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

About half, I'd say. Being new to the vinyl world and liking a lot of music which wasn't originally released on vinyl... I don't think I'm going to find In Flames - Colony in the 'bin.

4. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

1% or less.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Now it's easily 90%. It used to be 0% until I ******* downsized 13 years ago and have been rebuying what I sold off . Tons of first pressings in excellent condition went out the door on a Saturday morning for very little money. Now, where's HG Wells and that machine of his so I can reverse what I did?!

6. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

80% as a guesstimate - but I may listen to more new releases than the average SH member (or maybe not).

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

90% :eek:

sean

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

It's got to be an approximation for me: in the 70s/80s they would have been mostly new, but in the last 10-15 years they've been almost solely second hand, where I attempt to fill the gaps in my collection.

weirdo12 and The Pinhead like this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

My collection is mostly used these days. I went with 90% which might even be a bit low. For a very long time, even though I was buying lps, I was sticking with cds for newer bands I was into. Only recently did I start buying lps rather than cds. I also upped my purchases of digital files, although that's fairly low and doesn't really make a dent % wise.

I also hardly ever buy reissues of older releases. I tend to seek out an older pressing.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I've used them all.

dadonred, Nate, mwheelerk and 6 others like this.
  11. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Used to be 98%

Now, maybe 10%

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. Peter Baird

Peter Baird Well-Known Member

About 1/3.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Maybe 99.9%. Bought the Beatle Mono set and the Beach Boys "Smile" new, have over 2000 LPs. If you're looking for classical music on LP, you're looking at used records.

royzak2000 and The Pinhead like this.
  14. james

james Summon The Queen

less than 5%. very hard to find things I'd actually want to buy used.

showtaper and The Pinhead like this.
  15. I voted 20%, but I think it's actually closer to 15%.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

90% +

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Guessing 80%? Ten years ago I used to buy more new, like 40%/60% (new / used) but for the last few years my purchases are closer to 10%/90%.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I put around 40% but it would probably go up to at least 50% if I counted the ones I have inherited free ( several collections of deceased friends and collectors who quit collecting ).

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

It's probably 95% used. It would have been 100% but I did buy some new ones the other week for the first time. Mind you I didn't count singles only full length albums.

The Pinhead likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

55% here; lots of them have not been released on cd or reissued on vinyl and I don't care really !:)

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Around half out of a small collection of about 750 LPs. Over the last couple years I have been buying more used LPs though, so the percentage could change or fluctuate.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

About 20 to 30 percent would be my guess. I purchased a couple of collections from people, then gave away all the dupes or just ones I didn't want. I would say I have only purchased about a dozen used titles from stores. I'm way too picky regarding quality to buy much used.

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

90%. All my magic records are used records, the only new titles are current artists, with a sprinkling of reissues...

24. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I don't know how to answer this, I'm still playing well used records I bought new in the sixties, but second hand I would guess sixty percent.

25. Quake1028

Quake1028 Future former fatass

I am brand new to vinyl. I only have 28 titles currently. 13/28 are used, so 46%. I'll round up to 50% for the poll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.