Perspective - What the vinyl resurgence really looks like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DannyBoyNYC, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Ouch! Point taken :)

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Trolling ? Really ?o_O:cry:. I'm just stating it how it is from MY perspective (3d world country). Glad you fellas can still get your wax for little money, and earning way higher wages.

Aftermath and Gordon Johnson like this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah...it's pretty awesome.

druboogie and The Trinity like this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

My comment was in reference to this previous comment in this thread:
    My response was meant as hypothetical - not as an agreement.

e.s. and The Pinhead like this.
  5. The Pinhead

I guess this stems from The Beatles poll I posted ? Does it really take so little to earn a master on trolling here ?

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Maybe you're confusing this with another thread. None of my comments (or the comments I was responding to) had anything to do with you.

e.s. and The Pinhead like this.
  7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

You're not the OP, so what are you complaining about? Did you start this thread?

Grant and e.s. like this.
  8. The Pinhead

Right; wrong thread !:doh:
    . Sorry fellas !:targettiphat:

9. Schoolmaster Bones

10. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Uh, no... the new Camaro rocks! But i do find it pathetic when people buy anything just because there is hype currently behind it, and they don't know WHY the hype is there to begin with.

For example, since you want to use cars... remember when gone in 60 seconds was redone, with Nick Cage, and a bunch of people started going oooooo the Eleanor! And it brought a whole new group of people into liking Mustangs. Nothing wrong with that right? Except when a lot of these people saw a gt500 they would say ohhhhh is that a Eleanor?! And their knowedlge of anything "Mustang" didn't go much further than that.

Numbers. Years. History. Nothing.

Some. Not all. (I know the obvious, and already stated need to be restated here). But those few people that latch onto things like that, I find pathetic. You don't, that's fine, but i do.

And that's a few, yes. So the argument will now come back "oh so it's a FEW, a few people like that couldn't create this resurgence"... no. Correct, those few wouldn't contribute highly to this "resurgence" which this thread is speaking of. So the inevitable removal of these few will not effect the resurgence much.

But add the removal of all those who are really enjoying vinyl but may possibly grow tired of the high prices. Or not be interested in the many different mixes. Or grow tired of the delicate nature of the medium. Or the lack of portability. Or take any of the MANY arguments in this forum for and against vinyl/cd/digital downloads...

Who knows. Time will tell.

I for one hope that vinyl does continue to sell and be produced,. High quality stuff, and i hope the prices come down. But we will see.

For the record, i guess you could say "i hope you guys are correct" in saying that this come back is sustainable. But i somehow doubt it.

11. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Vinyl in Canada is not much better. You're looking at average of $25-$35 for an album. And the average wages are nowhere near that.

12. The Pinhead

New/used vinyl STARTS at U$ 30 here. and the sky is the limit. Eg : Beatles Mono Box retails from U$ 650-1000. And wages in Canada are 1st world man ! Consider yourself lucky !

I just ordered 4 VP reggae lps from Amazon's Marketplace and they averaged U$ 19 each via a guy who sneaks them in the country. Not bad considering they're U$ 12 each shipp. included in the USA.

Could not agree more.

Trapper J likes this.
  13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The market for CDs is dying. They've been shedding tens of millions in sales -- 32 million last year alone -- and i's becoming mor and more clear that those who want to enjoy physical media alongside their digital media prefer vinyl. One doesn't have prevail over the other -- they work in tandem.

The Trinity likes this.
  14. Schoolmaster Bones

That's how it works in my household. Music server for convenience (and great sound, BTW), and vinyl for when I'm just having fun with records.

e.s., Driver 8 and Mij Retrac like this.
  15. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Well the sky is the limit here also. I just mean on average, most albums (single lps) i want go for about $30. There are many $45- $60 that i want but am unwilling to pay that. Not to mention the $200-$500 box sets o_O

16. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

LOL.

Methinks it's high time you take some of your own advice. You're the one ignoring reality and making straw man arguments.

It's high time you look up the meaning of the words "resurgence" and "comeback". And pay attention to what people are actually saying, rather than what you are hearing.

scotth, e.s., NaturalD and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I never bought into the digital vs analog issue in the first place. I always thought there was plenty enough room for both. What is really important in the big picture is "choice". I can tell you without a shadow of doubt, that I have purchased digital remasters of analog recordings that were vastly superior to their vinyl counterparts. On the other hand, I have vinyl pressings that sound much warmer and natural than some of the digital catalog that came out afterwards.

There are lots of vinyl records at swap meets and thrift stores that are nothing short of landfill material. I would never buy it. However, there may be that small chance that you could stumble across a real treasured recording in those piles. It is all part of the fun for me. You can't really count that stuff as new sales anyway.

The problem now for me is mostly finding music that I like. I just about have anything and everything I have ever wanted. More times than not I walk into record shops and come out empty handed. Be it digital or analog, I am looking for new material that really blows my mind. So far, I am running out of prospects.

I applaud the new vinyl sales. Anything other than downloads or streaming is favorable to me.

e.s. and lightbulb like this.
  18. The Pinhead

Right ! That's why I buy only dancehall reggae on vinyl these days.

19. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

As post 362 on this thread pointed out, 140.8 million sales of CD's to 9.2 of records in the US in 2014 would suggest your statement is nonsense.

20. vinylphile

But that's just the thing. The CD may be slowly fading but the medium really isn't. Like everything digital, discs are slowly being replaced by hard drives and downloads. Digital lives on - nothing to be bitter about, just time to evolve.

21. vinylphile

Nobody can predict the future - well of course we can but its just a guess. But who cares, really?

Personally, I suspect vinyl and CD will live on as niche markets in the shadow of streaming and downloads - but of course I'm just guessing.

22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

its like they feel taken advantage of... vinyl people are made to feel like their preferrred medium is crap...same for the cd side....and it hurts them....even though the music is the same on both and is what matters...

same thing happens with video games...playstation is better than nintendo...xbox is better than playstation....
    they have 10 page threads of arguing because they feel insulted.

23. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I still have CD's that I purchased new in 1986. I thought they were excessively expensive back then. On the average, I paid around $15.99 each for them. Some I now see for around $5.99 new. I have absolutely no grudge for paying those prices. I had a choice and I did not have to buy them, but I wanted too. At the time, I could have bought new vinyl lps for around $6.00.

AS far as I am concerned, I have more than received my moneys worth in the last 30 years because I have played my CD's all the time. Until late, I was buying lots of vinyl as well. I tend to hold on to most of my music even though I may not be listening to some of at this time. I don't buy records or CD's just for the sake of purchasing it.

24. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Right, because selling 600 million in 2005, but selling 140 million in 2014 is a sign of a thriving format. Gotcha.

CDs sales are in rapid decline -- that is a fact. I wouldn't be surprised if sales are in the 100 million range by the end of this year -- based on current sales trajectory, that certainly doesn't seem out of the question. 2014 marked 15 straight years of declining sales for the format.

Maybe vinyl sales will level out -- I certainly don't think vinyl is ever going to be the dominant music format again -- but CD sales are presently in freefall, and I've yet to see a compelling argument why that should change.

The Trinity and dkmonroe like this.
  25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Just happened to walk out of Wal-Mart after buying a gallon of milk, and the ever-shrinking CD section is sad to see, even for someone like me who doesn't really have any sentimental attachment to the format. I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart pulls the plug on CDs altogether in the near future, something I once never would have thought possible. I remember not so long ago when my Wal-Mart carried expensive CD box sets. Now it's five top current sellers, half of the Beatles' catalog, a few of the new Zep titles, and a bunch of $5.00 and $7.00 "Icon" hits collections and crap like that. Everything is misfiled alphabetically, no one at the store seems to give a **** whether the CDs are organized in any way - in stark contrast to the DVD/Blu-Ray racks and other consumer electronics items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.