Pet shop boys reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fozl1986, Feb 7, 2015.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Should of had the Beatmasters's in for this one. Wasn't really a fan of any of these Julian, the above video link is the Perfect Attitude 7"
    One nice thing about the single, we got that Jefferson Being Boring 12 inch :)

jamesc likes this.
  2. portlandjulian

portlandjulian Forum Resident

Well unlike the USA and France it was never the main A side. it was the other side of a double A side, the main side being Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You).

Yes we dd and what a great mix of Being Boring that was :)

I remember buying the remix of Being Boring on a German CD single from a record store in London and telephoning them up to purchase it! At least that part of collecting things isnt so difficult today !!!:)

c-eling and jamesc like this.
  3. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Actually, it's a variation of the Perfect Attitude 7" that was used for the video. I can't recall which of those was used on the UK Streets/Seriously 7" but neither were on the Japanese CD3 that's pictured in the link.

Love that Marshall Jefferson mix Cory!

Maurice, c-eling and portlandjulian like this.
  4. portlandjulian

Talking of The Pet Shop Boys and Marshall Jefferon remixes, heres another often overlooked classic Tennat and Lowe song, sung by Dusty and remixed by Marshall Jefferson :)

tin ears, c-eling and jamesc like this.
  5. chrrrd

chrrrd Well-Known Member

The Perfect Attitude 7" mix doesn't have the "gotta have fun"(?) voice and the intro sweep is a second longer, so the linked video should be the UK 7" mix.

Edit: And indeed, the pictured Japanese CD single sleeve is misleading as it is not on there..

I'm rather fond of the snare sound and drum sequencing on the original Nothing Has Been Proved mix, maybe that's why I never got into the Marshall Jefferson version.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    c-eling, jamesc and portlandjulian like this.
  6. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

I have not been able to find the version that appears on the video. The PSB Discography lists this as the "Brothers In Rhythm 7" mix".

7. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Wish they would re-do the first disco lp

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That clip is one of the remixes, and you can hear the housy piano sound that is predominant in the single mix.

9. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I'm just going to stick with the Originals for Actually and Behaviour. Behaviour sounds the the same from the 2001 version, don't see a point to that.

Carlox likes this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish they'd do a comprehensive remix collection. That probably isn't feasible for a physical release, but just a massive digital set with the complete remix output would be tremendous (and cost virtually nothing to compile and release). Disco 2 is the most frustrating one, I wish I could just get those mixes as complete, separate tracks.

11. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Yeah you are right....can see it now.....SHOP - BOYS - PET - DEFINITIVE REMIX COLLECTION

walrus likes this.
  12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

It's been hard to find a good deal on the latest round of remasters but importcds through ebay has a good promotion at the moment (20% of $60+) and I was able to get the three 2xCD sets for ~$48 shipped. The vinyl versions are pretty close in price if that's your thing. :) Lots of other deals to be found like Paul Young's Tomb Of Memories box for around $18.50 after discount.

Extra 20% off $60+ - selected Vinyl Records and CDs 26.99 and below - eBay get_importCDs .

Runicen, portlandjulian and c-eling like this.
  13. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Guys,

Although I already gave some recommendations here before to get or not the reissues,
    I find myself struggling with my ears, which are kind of hearing differently in the winter.
    The one thing for sure is that ALL the 2001 remasters are crap. I did an album by album comparison and there is no question to it.

Now, concerning the new 2018 remasters versus the old.
    What do you guys find, overall?
    Do you find that the treble has been reduced because the old CDs were too bright or because it is actually the comfortable treble for ears?
    Because, with the exception of Elysium 2017, this is the only reissue who put more treble in the final result, compared to the original.
    What do you guys think?

14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I don't know if I could say the treble bothered me on the original. If I could, I'd just go to Audacity and turn it down a notch.

My issue with the 2001 and 2018 is that they sound exactly the same in my ears. Not only they're really loud, but I feel they turned the treble down way too much for my taste.

15. c-eling

Out of all of them, Bilingual and Nightlife I prefer over the originals.

portlandjulian likes this.
  16. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

17. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

By the way it's time for another PSB album!
    Into 2019!

portlandjulian likes this.
  18. portlandjulian

Neil appeared at a Q and A for his forthcoming lyrics book and he confirmed that they have demoed 24 new songs now (up from 22) and album in the second half of next year :)

19. mch007

mch007 Forum Resident

I was looking forward to PSB reissues after buying Super & Electric, both of them sounded great to me.
    However, I bought "Very" - it wasn't 'very' good.

Can somebody confirm whether "Actually" is 'actually' any better? and How is the 'behaviour' (sound/pressing quality-wise) of "Behaviour"?
    Also 'please' comment on how "Please" sounds.

Those were the other 3 I am interested in. :p

20. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

sentinel90125 and portlandjulian like this.
  21. portlandjulian

You are welcome :)

mschrist likes this.
  22. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Super and Electric are breeds of the loudness war era.
    Any reissue of these may only be equal or a little better, due to the obvious reasons.
    I think Super LP has a better edge on its mastering though. Electric is practically the same thing on LP.

What do you mean by "Actually" being better. The remastering?
    I'd say the original is the reference copy. Loads of dynamic range, sharp cymbals and percussion.
    As far as the remastering goes, it is not that different. One can not even notice while others may be bothered.
    They have removed the high-ends a bit and boosted the bass. I'd say it's acceptable.
    Just don't go for the 2001 2-CD reissue. That is certainly crap. Some may claim they sound the same.
    Not to my ears though.
    Quieter records tend to be more pleasant to hear and they sound great when you do push the volume up.

Behaviour was already very well mastered in 1990.
    The reissue brings to a more perceivable difference - little boost on low end and high ends are tamed,
    as if they were meant to sound more "analogue". Original Behaviour is crystal sharp in treble.
    The difference is not that much of a night and day thing.

Both these 2nd CD reissues sound alright to me, and lined up with the first CD.
    I don't want to sound crazy, but if you are really in doubt, just get all of them. It won't hurt.
    If you got a "better" sound in the old ones, you get great packaging in the new reissues.

Now, with Please, it's the only case that I think the engineers can't get it right on CD.
    Original Please CD came with preemphasis. The original LP did not.
    If you remove the emphasis with a filter, there will be a lot of treble removed.
    It will not match what the original LP sounds like.
    They failed to do a proper job in 2001, and although in 2018, it is slightly better,
    they managed to produce a product that, IMO, has not the original intended treble level - the LP.
    So with please, get the UK or Japanese LP. Get the 2018 for the sake of completeness and the second disc.

Ears may vary. Some ears may be very sensitive to treble, to the point of annoyance.
    So these ears will instantly love the reissues because they sound less sharp and bright than orignals.

In Very I didn't notice much difference if at all. It's a damn shame Relentless is not fully included,
    which makes me go for a complete copy of Very Relentless anyways...

portlandjulian, mch007 and c-eling like this.
  23. c-eling

Behavior, you want the old US mastering.

24. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

What's the point?
    Just compare: Suburbia (The Full Horror) and Paninaro (Italian Remix) against the same tracks over Please 2018 CD2.
    The original already skyrockets in quality.

25. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

I will check this and write a feedback.
    I have a Brazilian copy that is from EMI SWINDON, it is pratically bit mastering perfect to the UK.
    Why the US would be any different, I wonder? Care to elaborate?