Pete Townshend new colored vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

"Common" in terms of it being something that was done, sure, but this practice of reissuing whole back catalogues on color vinyl is a different strategy. There wouldn't have been a reissue campaign of these solo albums in color before, or the proliferation of things like the Newbury Comics exclusives. There was also more of the RSD exclusive color release with a subsequent black vinyl wide release, whereas now there are things just coming out on colored vinyl.

davers likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Until a few years ago coloured vinyl was mostly bootlegs of dubious quality. Hardly collector material. Collectors go for particular labels and/or first pressings and odd variations.

e.s. likes this.
  3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

ABC records in Canada iirc at one time reissued Steely Dans catalog in the late 70s up to that point on colored vinyl. France around the same time reissued the Beatles albums on colored vinyl. There's was also Japan who reissued all of the Beatles mono albums on red vinyl. Twice. So while uncommon, it's not unheard of. As far as colored vinyl ever being common or uncommon. The late 70s had a surge of many common non bootleg colored vinyl albums by major artists being released.

davers likes this.
  4. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Any reviews yet?

John Bliss likes this.
  5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I picked up Who Came First. The mix reveals stuff I hadn't noticed before. It's seems more mellow than an original U.S. that I have. One drawback is surface noise, my near mint original is quieter. I like both but I'd give an original the edge.

dee, WhoTapes1, Sean and 2 others like this.
  6. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Has the release date for Empty Glass and ...Chinese Eyes been changed in the US? I ordered ...Chinese Eyes from Amazon US with a release date of March 17, but it's now listed as out of stock. Any info would be appreciated. Does anyone have these two yet?

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have the first four in hand, ordered from the UK.

The date in the USA was the 17th, just be patient Amazon will likely update the status as in stock. It was listed as in stock earlier in the week.

marc with a c likes this.
  8. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Thanks, reb. If I like the mastering of Chinese Eyes, I'll go for the others. Would love to hear some opinions from those who have listened to these. There doesn't seem to be much interest yet.

bluesbreaker1962 and John Bliss like this.
  9. bluesbreaker1962

bluesbreaker1962 Forum Resident

I have the new Chinese Eyes and it sounds very good to me. I never had the original on vinyl, it was a cassette purchase at the time for me :-\
    I have had some very good pressings on coloured vinyl recently - but I would have bought these coloured vinyl or not.
    I tweeted Miles Showell, as I have been a fan of his previous work, and he stated that Chinese Eyes was mastered from a flat transfer 24/96.

10. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Anyone know if these are sourced from analogue or digital? The coloured vinyl put me off because I find this a strange selling strategy for PT material. Have original UK or US plus Classic Recs titles and Japan reissues.

12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Two posts above you :)

13. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Got my copy of Chinese Eyes. Not what I had hoped for. Strange mastering. I like the Italian Lp much better. The new one just sounds odd. Any other opinions?

WhoTapes1 and reb like this.
  14. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I pre-ordered all of them.

Received Empty Glass and Chinese Eyes and was very pleased with them. So far, all of the Abbey Road half-speed lps I have purchased have been very well done.

I also like the use of different colored vinyl for each of the Pete Townsend reissues.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one thing for sure, pete townshend certainly knows how to make money without putting forth any effort whatsoever.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What pressing is the Italian LP- an original or re-issue,?

17. srsch

srsch Senior Member

The Italian LP is an original (I think). I can get dead wax info listed tomorrow. Bought it used a long time ago. It has a cut-out on the right side of the cover. Sounds like my memory of the US original LP.

John Bliss likes this.
  18. srsch

srsch Senior Member

The dead wax info on the Italian LP is: K50889 A1/B1. Also looks like F/6 is written on both sides. Great sounding copy.

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I got Chinese Eyes, White City, and Psychoderelict (the latter mostly because there never was a vinyl release, though I would have preferred it be the version without the spoken parts). I've only listened sporadically, and I have very clean originals that I bought when new for comparison. I understand the "polite" comment about Showell, which they can seem at lower volume, but if you turn them up I think they really shine. I'll have some more comments after I have some time this weekend for more detailed listening, but definitely worth it for me as I love all these albums.

John K.

John Bliss likes this.
  20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Some further thoughts after more careful listening to Chinese Eyes, White City. Pressing quality is mediocre. The two I've listened to are a bit noisy and have areas of non-fill, so back for a return they go. As for mastering, the good is that there is better bass, and you can turn it up without having the top end overpower everything. The bad is that if the source is indeed 24/96, it shows: compared to an original the soundstage is shrunken, the sound is more closed in with less space between everything, and less sparkle on things like cymbals and guitar strums. The kicker is that channel balance is clearly off. It's louder in the left channel. Disappointing.

John K.

dee, sennj, btltez and 2 others like this.
  21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Nice honest review! Thank you!

22. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Since "Psychoderelict" is apparently seeing a first-time vinyl release with this reissue campaign, I'm taking a gamble on that one, since I've dreamed of owning it in my beloved format for the longest time. I'm also springing for the white vinyl of "Who Came First" and the clear blue vinyl of "White City" (as a means of retiring my well-worn, well-loved U.S. Atco 1st pressing). Hopefully, I won't get stuck with defectives. Wish me luck, everyone!

23. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Happy Birthday to Pete Townshend...

I've been contemplating Who Came First, Empty Glass and Rough Mix but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I already have multiple copies of these titles on vinyl and cd and these current reissues are kinda pricey...

Anybody know if the Scooped is part of this series of reissues?

lightbulb likes this.
  24. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

No listing of the "Scoop" compilations with this reissue campaign that I can see. Besides, I have decent originals of the first two "Scoops" that I'm happy with, but would love to get ahold of "Scoop 3" (its previous vinyl release by Classic now extremely pricey and hard to find) if those ever are reissued by UMe in the future.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

That's pretty much the entire music industry. There are some exceptions of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.