Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Technics can go down in price only if the entire tt/vinyl market collapses as it did some 10-15 years ago when the cd's pushed vinyl from the dj environment, the only instance where it was kept alive.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The DJ environment was definitely NOT the only instance of a vinyl market 10/15/20/25 years ago. The indie and experimental scenes, for instance, never abandoned it.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Sure there were other "niche" sectors were vinyl was alive but the dj sector was selling most vinyl. When djs moved to cds it was the end.

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No, it was not. The Indie scene never stopped releasing their records on vinyl.
    What do you think begat the "Resurgence" ?
    Besides, some of these vinyl-loving Indies (think Beck or Sonic Youth, who released every single one of their albums on vinyl, from the 80s to the present) were not niche by any means.

5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Then why Technics ceased the manufacturing of 1200 after several years of decline in sales? They started selling them in Walmart as no one was buying them.
    "Niche" during the 2000's, not in the 80's.

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Technics wasn't selling, Pro-ject, Rega, Music Hall and others were. One manufacturer's fate can't be mistaken with a market's.
    And, again, the Indies were still releasing vinyl in the 2000s, as they had throughout the 90s. As was Neil Young, among others.

7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

How many? I think it's pretty obvious and undeniable that it was the CD era and the dj's kept the vinyl alive.

8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Pro-ject sold enough to last and grow.
    That it was the CD era is undeniable, yes. That DJs kept vinyl alive is not. In fact, it's wrong. As you said it yourself, the DJs had switched to CD.
    Besides, the vinyl that Sonic Youth or Neil Young kept releasing throughout the years were clearly not bought by DJs to mix with, they were bought to be listened to.

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Can't agree. A quick look at Discogs database for the period 1990 - 1999 shows some 350000 12" singles VS 125000 LPs.
    For the period 2000-2009 there are 380000 12" singles VS 88000 LPs. Imo these figures show who the vinyl was catering primarily.

Robert C likes this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Ah yes, for the period 1980 - 1989 there are 470000 LPs VS 190000 12" singles.

11. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

How in the world do these figures show anything ?

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

12" single - a dj record primarily. LP usually a non DJ record. Also see the genres.

13. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

A couple of things to bear in mind :
    For one, it stands to reason that singles will be many times more numerous than LPs, given their lengths and production time.
    Also, Discogs is, originally, if not at heart, a collaborative tool for referencing electronic music. Obviously, that genre will be better represented than others.
    Besides, of the things Discogs gets wrong, genre attribution is one of the very worst.
    And consider this : while DJs do, of course, make great use of records, as your figures show, they do not, as a rule, publish too many of them for home listening, and that's what the "Vinyl resurgence is about".
    What's more, this is what these new Technics tables are explicitly about, much to the annoyment of the DJ community, I might add !

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

If that is an argument, it should be valid for the 80's also but then the number of singles was 2.5 times lower than lps. The cd killed the LP in the 90's and we see the figures swapped - 2.8 times more singles than LPs. If that does not show that vinyl was made primarily for djs since the 90's than idk what does.
    That has significantly changed over the past decade and is no longer valid view.
    Genres maybe, but 12" format can't be confused.
    That is nothing we argue about here. I thought we are arguing about whether dj's kept vinyl alive through the cd era or not.

Never mind, this is offtopic and don't want to expand it further. Figures are there so anyone can see for himself.

Robert C and Jimi Floyd like this.
  15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You're not quoting figures, you're bringing up random numbers. And you need only to look at the people buying vinyl now to tell that the vinyl resurgence was brought about by indie music, not DJs.
    But you're right in one thing : this is wildly off-topic.

16. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Can we please get this thread back on topic? Any other GAE/G owners want to share their thoughts?

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yes, please, back on topic.

My G got here yesterday. Easy to setup, fun to use, looks great, sounds wonderful.

I'm very pleased. Expensive, but as Ferris Bueller said, 'If you have the means I highly recommend it'.

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

No pics no turntable.:cheers:

19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rtrt, Aftermath, DPM and 12 others like this.
  20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

@ls35a Looks great! Is that a Bronze or Red on there?

I'm looking at a 1210GR and have started shopping for cartridges. I've been really happy with my 2M Blue on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon so I'm unsure whether I should stick with the 2M line or hop over to AT's new VM line.

Bill

21. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Very nice!

22. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

my new one i bought a while back was i think about 600 bucks new.

if they do release them again, amnd they are over 700, they can KMA

23. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Very nice!!!!

24. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

is it true, they are landing and have a price of 4K ?? wtf is wrong with these people. really 4K, thats is just robbery, and bullish!!!!!

25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

That's a bronze and I recommend it highly. Love that cartridge. I also hear great things about the Hana elliptical high-output cartridge (EH).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.