Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I talked to my closest dealer with regards to the GR and they said the Rep told them it's looking like June and $2K MSRP...much higher than what we're seeing outside the US.

2. If anything, the US price should be LOWER than Europe because it would exclude VAT.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The G and GAE are virtually the same. It's the GR that is approx half the weight of the G/GAE.

PhilBiker and DrJ like this.
  4. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking/hoping. He also said that neither price nor date was firm at this point so here's to hoping it comes in closer to $1,500.

5. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Billy Budapest and SamS like this.
  6. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Well what do you know......Mikey likes it!

7. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Quoting from M F's review:

"In direct drive systems the torque ripple/cogging whatever you want to call it happens within the platter itself so despite the great wow and flutter measurements, the sonic effects of the cogging are easily heard."

Can anybody verify this by having heard the difference? This "cogging" of the 1200 keeps coming up but historically, I never thought is was a problem.

Billy Budapest, LarryP and PhilBiker like this.
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

If there is any cogging it will be seen in the W&F measurements, if not there isn´t any. So I think we can safely say in regards to the 1200II, there isn´t any.

9. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That's what I thought too but MF seems to be saying that it is independent of W&F. I'm interested in this since if there is a real improvement in the 1200G over a modded 1200 I'd consider getting one.

10. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes I know, but that is not how I see it. If we don´t measure any it isn´t there. As for the G model, there are many other advantages for a more robust design.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  11. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I thought the review was okay, but had a couple of issues with it:

1. Why didn't he compare the sound to some similar priced tables?
    2. If he had the table for so long, why didn't he try a different tonearm on it, as he does with almost every other table he reviews?
    3. Why didn't he say if the new model eliminates the "cogging" that the older models had?
    4. Why didn't he compare the sound of the stock rubber mat, rather than just describing the sound of the upgraded mats?

12. LarryP

LarryP Soul Singing

Same here. I have three Technics DD TTs (including 1200mkII) and have yet to hear this cogging problem. I would love to know what to listen for. I've had two of my Technics since '82 and haven't experienced this or heard it...myself IME.

13. Frankly, it's all audiophile B.S. from a time when audiophiles thought belt drive (and even idler wheel) was superior to direct drive.

14. There is nothing to listen for. Again, it's just audiophile lore.

15. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

He did say that the 1200G beat similar priced BD TTs for "dynamic expression" but was bested for "liquidity and musical flow" by them. Not sure what to make of this. To me it sounds like a highly subjective observation. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- just not very helpful to me.

I think he said the 1200G had no cogging which implies that the older 1200 did have cogging!

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

17. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

18. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I agree, and I think this cogging thing is probably a myth (at least in terms of its being audible.) But I can imagine why cogging wouldn't show up in any wow & flutter measurements.

If you are going to measure the speed of the turntable, you have to measure in terms of distance over time (as in mph or rpm). Let's say your turntable speed measurement device works by measuring the distance travelled each second and comparing it with the distance travelled the previous second, to see if there is any deviation. In any one second, I'm guessing there would be hundreds of "cogs". And, if the turntable was rotating at a constant speed, there would be the same number of "cogs" in the next second, too. So your measurement device would show no sign of any deviation due to cogging because the rate of cogging, and it's effect on the overall speed, wouldn't deviate from one second to the next.

19. missan

missan Forum Resident

But the result has only to do with how high up in freq we are measuring, if we can see the cogging or not. Normally the breaking point is at 200Hz, i see no possibility that a platter can have any flutter higher than this. If there is any cogging I´m sure it will at rather low freq.

20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I came across this review this morning. One thing bothers me from it, and I quote:

"The new platter is fully balanced, filled with a layer of deadening rubber and has a brass top layer to the platter. Popping the platter from the original 1200 mk.II on the current table quickly reveals the progress made. Images fully rendered on the 1200G shrink dramatically and a level of low level image focus and quality disappears."

WTF? They seem to be saying that they took a 1200 Mk2 platter and put it on the 1200G. From what I understand about the two TTs, this would be impossible.

oregonalex likes this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some dealers over here are offering discounts by way of on-line vouchers or trade ins. Realistically you can get a 1200G for £2.5K.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It is impossible. Do they sit down and make up magazine reviews?

rtrt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.