Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oh man. Heads would explode.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Matsushita changed its corporate name to Panasonic years ago.

Billy Budapest and PhilBiker like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Dude; you really ARE into those shellacs of yours, aren't you ?! I remember my dear friend and next-door neighbor and jazz musician who was 20 years my elder when he entered his driveway with his classic 1940 something Ford pickup truck filled to capacicity with shellac jazz records he'd acquaired in bulk (for pennies) from someone's widow. He was over his head with the purchase. Thousands of the things (it was the 80s). He cleaned and filed every one of them (he played them) and made a little fortune on the side selling those obscure or sought-after titles he didn't want or were ¨repeated¨ on that mountain of shellac.

On another note, I could not convince my father-in-law to keep his huge collection of tango shellac (really rare Gardel in there, I'm tellin' ya). He just chucked it in the bin. Today, 15 years later, I reminded him of the fact and gave him a rough estimate of how valuable his collection would be. He was so sad; the only political relative I appreciate BTW.

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  4. missan

missan Forum Resident

More likely it is so than not so.

The Pinhead likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

And arm bearings would wobble.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's an easy fix. ;)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  7. Well, not that I play them every day. It's just that I like to be able to play my shellac records whenever I want (you can see / hear some of them in my YouTube channel).

BTW, while tango is not the kind of music I listen to the most, I enjoy it a lot. Actually, I play double bass with a tango quintet led by this great Argentinean bandoneonist (who lives in my city): http://brunobandoneon.com/

And I must say, it's been an extremely rewarding experience for me.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looks good.

[​IMG]

Grant, Shak Cohen, PH416156 and 6 others like this.
  9. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Oh to live in a world where I'm familiar with Koetsu Signature and not the AT95... ;)

TeflonScoundrel likes this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The mag finish is SWEET !! And a mag tonearm; bet it weighs next to nothing. Sure to comply even with the pickiest, more exotic of MC carts.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. The AT-LP120 was designed as a copycat of the Technics 1200 series, at a much more reasonable price. Looking at the new 1200 and it's specs, they have added the 78rpm speed, which is a reason I went with the AT originally. But, unlike the AT, there is no USB output and it doesn't come with a pre-mounted cartridge. I don't care about the USB as I already have a converter or the cartridge because I just throw away the cheap-o cart that comes with the AT.

12. gss

gss Forum Resident

The price can't be as high as many are estimating. As another poster pointed out, they were in the 500-600 range when they were last on the market. I doubt they'd pick up where they left off, but - if they're serious about the dj market - the tables should still be attainable for the working dj.

Aftermath, Ghostworld and johnny q like this.
  13. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Doesn't look like there's any photos of the G model out yet.

So far all we know about the difference between the G and GAE is the tonearms are made of different materials? What about that fancy brass on the GAE platter?

Let's see that price!

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, this makes sense. Why re-introduce a proven classic where all the engineering has been done when you can slap a classic name on something new and untested.

Perfect sense.

15. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

You guys know that even Crosley has $200 Technics lookalike now.
    There is even a Crosley copycat now at $200!

16. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

A new Technics 1200 sounds tempting... YES!! I wonder how it will compare to the Pioneer SLX 1000?

17. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Not just facebook, here too.

18. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Will it have a pre-amp and weigh 50 pounds..so we can attempt to remove the pre-amp and cut the wrong cord!

19. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Finally a DJ table for the 78 rpm crowd! ;)

Kidding aside, I'm glad to see the 1200 back in production. It's a beautiful piece of equipment that is built like a tank. I owned 2 of these in my DJ days and lugged them into so many basements and party spaces, it's amazing they held up so well. Never failed until someone spilled a drink directly between the platter and the base. Fried the circuit board and that was it for speed control.

Unless they price it way too high, they'll sell a bunch. I can see this being the next step for some who start with Crosley. Interested to see if it leads to a mild resurgence of vinyl DJing.

I'd consider buying one for a second table just for the nostalgia factor.

20. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

21. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

22. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I don't think this is gonna be as low in price as folks think.

From here:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-01/05/panasonic-technics-sl-1200-turntable

Two versions of the player will be released: a limited Technics 50th Anniversary 'Grand Class SL-1200GAE' will come first, in summer 2016 (limited, naturally, to 1200 units). A non-limited Grand Class 1200G will follow before the end of 2016. Both will be expensive, audiophile-grade devices, even though they are still largely aimed at DJs. Prices were not announced but are expected to reach several thousand pounds.

2xUeL and dmckean like this.
  23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

24. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

No one goes from Crosely to $5k statement turntable. You're kidding yourself if you think this will cost anything less. This isn't the return of the Technics SL-1200 Mk2, this is a SP10 Mk4 shoved into a SL-1200 form factor. Just look at it's features.

25. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

FWIW, the author of the Wired article said, "prices were not announced but are expected to reach several thousand pounds."

3,000 pounds = 4,400 dollars, just sayin...well, let's hope the G model is waaay less than that!

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2016-01/05/panasonic-technics-sl-1200-turntable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.