Pharoah Sanders vinyl reissues on Anthology Recordings due in Nov. 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlienRendel, Oct 24, 2017.

1. oldjollymon

oldjollymon Member

Those do look nice, but no easy way for me to get in US. Too bad I didn't know re: them when I was in UK over the summer! :)

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I don't have an original, but it certainly doesn't sound like my other Pharoah Sanders albums on Impulse. It sounds like I'm listening to it with a cold, if that makes any sense – kind of muffled. It's pressed well and it's dead quiet, but I'd recommend giving this a pass. Kicking myself for not picking up the last original I saw in a shop. This album was pretty common in used bins for a number of years – Thembi was another one – so I was always reluctant to buy it, feeling like I'd eventually come across a better copy. Hardly ever see any original Pharoah Sanders albums in the wild these days.

oldjollymon likes this.
  3. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Active Member

Totally co-incidentally I just took delivery of a used Tauhid vinyl on Impulse, 2nd pressing on Black/Red label, likely 1970 pressing since Black/Red and NYC address on the label. It has Van Gelder in the dead wax so nice surprise. Anyway, despite the scratches and some noise it sounds superb. I can't compare against the vinyl you have but I did a quick comparison against the CD and the vinyl has so much more detail and depth. If I really wanted a clean vinyl copy there is one other choice .....

4. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The black and red Impulse / ABC label pressings are generally pretty good. It's not until you get into the green labels and the black with neon logo labels that things get iffy.

AlienRendel and jamo spingal like this.