Phil Spector "Back To Mono (1958-1969)" CD Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Felix Martinez, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Costco Spector

Been to 3 stores in the Los Angeles area...no dice. Is this a new item with them or has it been there a week or so? Anybody found it in So Cal ?

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is a joke, right?

Kwad

3. No, why? I have not heard anything else by Spector. I take it this music is different?

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Picked up a couple of extra copies of this set today at my local Costco. I couldn't resist at a price less that $15/set. I saw the boxes these shipped in and talked the guy at the store. These shipped directly from UMD (Universal distributing), not from some schlock distributor. These look to be NOS (new old stock). This is surely either a price mistake or a one-time-only firesale of existing product. While I can understand wanting to reconfigure this set to a more modern looking longbox wallet, I'm frankly shocked they would do it this way. The market for these boxes isn't that big and selling them off cheaply kind of plugs any demand there might be. With the Spector trial looming, I'd expect interest in his music to get a bump (only bad publicity is no publicity). Also, the Christmas album is a full price item that ships every Christmas. This entire box is selling for only slightly more than the wholesale cost of that album...

I asked the guy at Costco if he knew what the deal was. He didn't, but told me that the sets just came in and are not marked for reorder, which usually means a limited or one-time-only item.

That said, looking over the box again (I have one I bought when it first came out), I once again felt the disappointment over opportunities squandered. In particular, why couldn't they have included another disc to at least cursorily cover the final (less than a) decade of Phil Spector's output? (Not the Beatles solo stuff or the Ramones; I mean the Dion/Cher/etc. stuff that he recorded in the '70s). Oh well.

Still an incredible deal for $15.

Kwad

5. I have reissue 45's on the Collectibles label (they are boxed, coloured wax) and the fidelity stomps that boxed set. Nevertheless, I have played that box to death. I bought a VG then a NM copy of the Sonny Charles album (stereo) that has two tracks excerpted on that box.

I may buy a Costco copy just to replace my missing BACK TO MONO button (comes with the set)

6. BY FAR the best sources are from vinyl, especially UK compilations.

There are reportedly also some grey-area european cd's (think Amsterdam flea market)
    that had tracks in stereo although I have never seen such discs, only read about them.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the sound on this CD boxed set is a real disappointment. As non-involving and flat as the original vinyl records were commanding and dynamic. A shame.

That said, this is timeless, essential music and until/unless a proper remastering is offered, the box is worth owning, especially at the price.

8. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I saw at least 20 of these box sets at Costco yesterday (4.16.06) for $14.70. I could pick some up if anyone wants it. You pay postage and my gas. PM me, I'll stop by there tomorrow, Monday 4.17.06, I don't mind, maybe someday you can reciprocate. :) :)

9. sporkboy

sporkboy Forum Resident

Ditto!

10. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Unless Phil's tapes wind up in other's hands in the future, I doubt we're going to get another remaster. I was disapointed with how flat the 64-66 material sounded.

From what I have read the best quality Spector records are original Philies 45's pressed on vinyl, original UK London 45's, and later Polydor UK and Collectables reissues. Stay away from the styrene pressings.

11. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Worth getting at that price but a friend of mine in NYC says a new PS package of some sort is now being worked on.
    This is probably a dump of dead product before that happens. Who knows? This one may end up sounding better anyway.

12. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

13. bugdaddy

bugdaddy Forum Resident

San Diego has 'em (Pacific Beach Store).

14. I actually like the Leonard Cohen album.

It has some good advice too: Never leave home with your hard on.
    It gets you in trouble every time (wild laughter ensues).

15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Seattle has them (Aurora Village store).

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I got 7 of them, looks like they are gone.................................sorry, maybe next time.. :)

17. Do you have a web site for the Collectibles label ?

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I can believe that they're prepping new issues:

A) A single disc best-of Spector is still sorely missing
    B) ABKCO has been a lot more active as-of late, and they may have taken this bull by the horns
    C) Spector's trial is coming up and I'm sure they'd like something on the shelves when his name is in the news every day (even if the reason isn't so wholesome); the old 12x12 box doesn't fit in anyone's standard racks anymore

The last reason I expect they'd be working on a new release is to up the sound quality. That said, they might do a new remastering just so they could claim "new IMPROVED masters".

Incidentally, the original box was mastered by Larry Levine (and Jody Klein) under Phil Spector's supervision, not some no-names who don't have any connection to the music. Which is all the more reason that the lousy sound is criminal.

Kwad

19. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

That could all be true - Abkco redid the Stones catalog, Animals and Hermits comps, so Phil could be next to get the Hybrid SACD job. I welcome any CD Remaster of Phil's material. But I'd hate to see the original box set crammed down to a little box like the Cameo-Parkway box was.

As for the original box, Levine didnt do much to make the master tapes sound like the original 45's. Maybe his ears are as fried as Phil's..

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Gotta check my local Costco tomorrow.....

Evan :)

21. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

They have 36 of them at the Burbank Costco but they haven't put them on the floor yet.

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, but was Larry allowed to master it correctly?

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

This thread made me pullout the box and give it a spin. Yechhhhhhhh. Earbleeders. No wonder I got it cheap! It's a shame such great music sounds so crappy here. Let's hope it IS in the remastering works! SACD would have been wonderful. :(

24. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

It's funny, someone in the forum is selling the box set for $35 plus postage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.