Philadelphia cd/record shops?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by LonesomeDayBlues, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any recommendations? Mainly looking for used CDs and I'll be staying downtown.

Thanks in advance!

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Philly itself is iffy - Princeton is great if you can head that far out!

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

4. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Long in the Tooth (2027 Sansom St)
    Repo Records (538 South St)

There's a used bookstore on the NE corner of 12th & Pine that has a small used CD section upstairs.

Bill likes this.
  5. LonesomeDayBlues

Yes! One is likely to score something at a place like this. Thanks for the tip!

6. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

great shop that used to be in south street area that moved to fishtown not too far from downtown
    1524 Frankford Ave philadelphia record exchange. decent selection of used cd's. really nice people too.

if you want to venture a little further about half hour to forty minutes away is positively records
    1524 Frankford Ave levittown, pa.

well worth the drive. one of the best used cd selections i have found. like it better than princeton and the people are way nicer and decent pricing too.

now i am jealous. have fun.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  7. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Used CD's at the thrift store where I volunteer, Philly AIDS Thrift, located on S. 5th Street, just a block below South Street.

mdm08033 likes this.
  8. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Oops, also Noise Pollution, at 619 S 4th Street, just below South Street, too. CD's and vinyl.

rockerreds likes this.
  9. Play Dead

Play Dead Forum Resident

Gold Million in Bryn Mawr on the main line. Great LP selection (LP's only?) and organized better than most stores you will visit.

10. Wooden shoe books at 704 South st worth a visit

Jupiter Records 1/2 hr away in Woodbury, NJ

11. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Hop the SEPTA train for a short ride out to Chestnut Hill on the Chestnut Hill West line and Hideaway Records is right there on the street nearby, another favorite of mine.

rockerreds likes this.
  12. LonesomeDayBlues

Thanks for all the suggestions. Should be there tomorrow and will be going to some of these places!

13. wijnaldumwilliam

wijnaldumwilliam New Member

Philly is still home to places to buy physical music without resorting to big box stores with limited selections. Frequent these local shops to get your music fix without downloading–and some personal recommendations from the clerks behind the counter.

14. LonesomeDayBlues

I was able to go to a lot of shops in the downtown area of Philadelphia. I scored a lot of CDs at the Philly AIDS thrift shop and filled a lot of holes and it didn't break the bank.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

It's been years since I was in the area, but isn't that the old Plastic Fantastic? Great store in its day. What type of changes have they made?

16. Play Dead

Play Dead Forum Resident

It is the old Plastic Fantastic. There are references to that fact in the store. I was never at the old store so I cannot comment on the changes.
    They have many, many titles organized by genre and artists for easy shopping. They also have tons of items made from records and framed artwork and photos by many artists, especially
    Frank Zappa and Jerry Garcia. I believe many artist visited the shop back in the day for promotional opportunities.. Many signed items by famous artists. The do have a website that you can check out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.