Philip Seymour Hoffman RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Scarecrow, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

neither here nor there...I like it.:)

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I wonder what made it "poisonous"

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The man had many issues. Such a shame.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Still heartbroken. This will be a legendary loss to the art of cinema, much like John Belushi's death is still mourned in comedy. Or Jimi Hendrix's loss is felt in music. Etc.

Sadness.

dan c

Rooster_Ties, Chris M and PennyLanes like this.
  6. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Addicts have a self-destructive streak. He was stronger than many, battling it by staying clean for so many years. I wonder if his wife kicking him out fueled the self-hatred that accompanies addiction and made him even more self-destructive, possibly making this not so accidental, rather inevitable. Which is not to say his wife is to blame at all.

Yes, very sad. But at least he had a longer and more productive (at least quantity-wise) run than those two.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I finally saw "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" and his performance. To tell you the truth, he looked a little washed out. He didn't really put much into the role. The character lacked ... energy, somehow. Just so sad.

8. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

A pretty tepid article full of excuses and minimizing the dangers of opiates. His lawyer must be furious he admits to selling Heroin in the article. What a dope. Most offensive thing in the article is the portrayal of Mr. Aaron as a victim.

Just to clarify in the late 70's Chinese Heroin was everywhere but it wasn't cheap. Anyone remember the Ramones song, "I'm living on Chinese Rock, All my best things are in Hock. ?" Today there is more Heroin than ever in NYC and most of the US today. It is from Afghanastan and it is cheaper than ever and more pure. The Govenor of Vermont recently devoted his entire State of the State address to the Heroin problem there. It is folly to portray Heroin as anything other than the dangerous and devastating drug it actually is.

Pete Puma and carrick doone like this.
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

No criticism; just an observation - I'd phrase this as something like "I wonder if his behavior that resulted in his getting kicked out fueled .........

You are correct when you say "inevitable." Get clean or die.

Peace.

heatherly likes this.
  11. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

As a result of the decriminalization and legalization of marijuana in the U.S., Mexican farmers have seen a huge drop in market value of marijuana and are now growing poppies instead of pot and exporting the heroin into the U.S.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Do you have a source on this? Everything I've read says that the majority of heroin comes from Afghanistan these days.

13. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

14. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Staring at the Flame:
    Author John le Carré on Philip Seymour Hoffman
    New York Times, July 17, 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/movies/john-le-carre-on-philip-seymour-hoffman.html?WT.mc_id=D-NYT-MKTG-MOD-32086-07-23-HD&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_c=${CAMPAIGN_ID}&_r=0

Looking forward to this one last film.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Entrepreneurialism at its finest!

16. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.