Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Memphis 95 Tweezer is a full set, also, if I remember.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I had tapes of both Mud Island and the Fleezer a short time after they played them. Never could get into the Mud Island version but the Fleezer is great.

Strictly speaking, neither of them were full sets. They played "Theme From The Bottom" before the Fleezer and here is a cut and paste of the Mud Island set: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Poor Heart > Tweezer, Acoustic Army, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Found the answer thanks to @B-Mike

6 22 95

:)

4. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Ah yes - that was all being posted in the 10 seconds while I was typing my message and then looking up the date and then editing my post!

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This was the first mega Tweeze I remember getting a tape of (set II only). Was THRILLED when it was released as a Live Phish back in the melting binder days.

MAY 07 1994
    PHISH
    The Bomb Factory
    Dallas, TX, US

SET I

SET II
    ENCORE

budwhite, jay.dee, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

6/22/95 The whole second set was: Theme From The Bottom ->Tweezer->Tweezer Reprise. That was it. I was highly disappointed.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

You may not be particularly motivated to hear it, but if you wanted you could sign up for a free trial of the LivePhish+ app and then stream it there.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The music actually started out as background music for a specific narration portion of Trey's original recording of Gamehendge. The lyrics came later. As a Phish fan, and a musician, I am more fascinated by the composing that Trey did back then. It's very classical in form, so I honestly didn't think of them as a jam band like other jam bands of the time. They were more like a prog rock band that could improvise quite well, too. The improvisation sections weren't really long until '94 or '95, and the approach was much different. I guess that's why I like Esther. It's a seriously interesting composition when looked at with music theory.

adamos, jay.dee, walrus and 2 others like this.
  9. warewolf95

10/31/09

Torn and Frayed has a killer jam.

BUT THIS LOVING CUP IS ROCKING TO HELL MAN! WOAH!

[​IMG]

10. warewolf95

10/31/09

Finished that EXCELLENT reading of Exile On Main Street.

Now I'm getting blasted by this mind-meltingly insane Fluffhead! Woah!!!!! I though Number Line was great but this took that outside and just put it out of its misery with a shot between the eyes.

Holy crap.

11. warewolf95

10/31/09

Sorry to spam post again but this set is killing me. This is some of the greatest jamming ive ever heard.

GHOST IS FREAKING INSANE!!!!!!

12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

2 words: Tahoe. Tweezer.

That one got almost everyone's juices flowing when it happened. Mr. Minor (phish thoughts website) went as far as to say it was the best Tweezer, and possibly the best piece of improvised music the boys had ever done! Ha! A bit of hyperbole for sure but never-the-less that is a pretty kick ass version...

I believe that Phish can "jam" just as well as they ever have. It has always been an evolving thing with them, obviously, and some eras are jammier than others, but on the whole I have no complaints about a 20+ minute Bowie or whatever else.

adamos, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  13. warewolf95

Not to say that the song shouldn't be the important part, but I'm seeming to notice that, unlike with the Dead, the song (in Phish's case) seems a lot less important and more just a great excuse to get jamming - I say that because a lot of time once you "escape" the song and the jam takes off....that's it, man! :) Ya know what I mean?

Not to diminish their songwriting at all, because that is still the base of everything, just that once the jamming takes off it really doesn't matter, imo, what song it was as long as the music is good. And so far I haven't heard anything to convince me otherwise. :)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. Billy_Sunday

Setlist is a bit oddball - and I have never been a fan of Prince Caspian, just a 2 chord vamp that doesn't really go anywhere. The only thing that redeems it for me is that heavy coda at the end, which they only seemed to do about half of the time. But I'll take a Jesus Left Chicago any day, and Saw It Again is A-OK in my (helping friendly) book.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  15. Billy_Sunday

You beat me to it... !

lucan_g and warewolf95 like this.
  16. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I think thats about right. I mean, Tweezer isnt really a great "song" but it is a guarantee of great high-energy improvisation. With the Dead each song was a strong indication of the type of improv: Dark Star will sound like Dark, Eyes of the World will sound like Eyes of the World. Phish can launch off of any tune really and end up anywhere (Type I vs Type II jamming.) Phish also has a lot more long, composed tunes a la Weather Report or Terrapin such as Fluffhead, YEM, etc.

The Tahoe Tweezer sounds much more like spontaneous composition than improv to me. Its fascinating, but I wouldnt call it a top ten Tweezer (although I dont really have a list.)

17. Billy_Sunday

2.20.93 has a 2nd set Tweezer fest

SET 2: Wilson[2] > Reba > Tweezer -> in from "Tweezer." "Walk Away" is sandwiched inside "Tweezer."">Walk Away -> in from "Walk Away" to finish this "Tweezer."">Tweezer > Glide > Mike's Song[3] -> in from "Mike's Song." The first of several brief segues in the midst of an inspired and popular "Mike's Groove." -> back to "Mike's Song."">My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own[4] -> in from "MMGAMOIO" to complete a tease heavy version of "Mike's."">Mike's Song > in from "Mike's Song." Part of an epic tease and segue-fest, the "Hydrogen" sandwiches brief versions of "The Vibration Of Life" and "Kung."">I Am Hydrogen -> in from "I Am Hydrogen." All part of an incredible and hugely popular segue-fest "Mike's Groove." -> to "Kung."">The Vibration of Life -> in from "The Vibration Of Life." Both are sandwiched inside of "I Am Hydrogen."">Kung -> in from "Kung" as the roller coaster segue and tease-fest continues.">I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> in from "Weekapaug Groove." This incredible "Mike's Groove" is a segue and tease-fest, with 12 bona fide ->'s in a single set. -> back to "Weekapaug."">Have Mercy[4] -> in from "Have Mercy" as this incredible tease and segue-fest "Mike's Groove" continues and -> to "Rock and Roll All Nite."">Weekapaug Groove -> in from "Weekapaug." An audience member dressed as Gene Simmons joins the band in singing this Kiss classic. -> back to "Weekapaug."">Rock and Roll All Nite Jam[5] -> in from "Rock and Roll All Nite" to wrap up an incredible "Mike's Groove."">Weekapaug Groove, Fast Enough for You > Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up -> in from "HYHU." A cool and very improvisational jam, coming at the end of a historic show. Shredding, intense peak.">Harry Hood, Tweezer Reprise

Hmm I just copied/pasted the setlist off of phish.net and now all the comments are expanded within the setlist... interesting...

One of those night they were feeling particularly frisky and just jammed into and out of a bunch of different stuff, throwing the Tweezer riff in whenever it fit.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  18. warewolf95

10/31/09

You Enjoy Myself

:bigeek:

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I was at the Jennifer Dances debut...ahhh...Rochester 99.

Actually, aside from that the set list was great. It was not, however, a great show.

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Between you and I...Mr. Minor makes me want to punch my monitor...

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. trd

trd Forum Resident

Phish’s Dark Star is your least favorite song? :yikes:

Billy_Sunday, lucan_g and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The prog-rock compositions were what converted me, far more than the improvs. To me they felt like a continuation of the early Genesis and Yes stuff I was also discovering as a kid in the mid-90's. It wasn't a big jump from "Close to the Edge" to "You Enjoy Myself", at least in my head at the time.

Lownote30 and Billy_Sunday like this.
  23. walrus

It's nowhere near Dark Star. It's closer to Phish's "Fire on the Mountain."

Coltrane811 likes this.
  24. walrus

On a brighter note, can we all agree that ice cream is awesome? (And also its namesake song)

[​IMG]

25. Billy_Sunday

Yes! Ice Cream Is Awesome.

In fact - Tweezer has always reminded me of the riff in this Joe Walsh song - Time Out, check it out, the riff starts at 0:30