Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I never did. I sold that album soon after it came out because I had heard better performances of every song on it. Especially Tweezer and Mike's Song (see 3/20/92 for a face melting version of that one).

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That's what drew me to them as well. It was Prog-ish, but had a sense of humor like Zappa, and I loved it! It's Ice is one of my favorite Phish songs of all time due to how complex it is.

musicarus, Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's all an elaborate homage to the time signature changes in Fluff's Travels.

ianuaditis, musicarus and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've never heard that one, but just looked it up on Phish.net. Anyone one know why it got dubbed "the Fleezer"? (I have been seeing these guys for a long time, but haven't been much of a Phish collector other than official releases for ages, so I've been out of the loop on some of this stuff.)

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Another important thing to remember also is that the songs are/were great! I mean, just on a surface level you can take those studio albums and have a great time with just that. That's a big deal. Gotta have that good foundation to be able to expand upon it live, imo. Sure things evolve and grow and all that but you gotta have that base, ya know?

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lyrics aren't their strong suit, though, by a long shot. That factor alone keeps a lot of people who might otherwise like them from getting into them. (But they are light years ahead of String Cheese Incident and many other bands of that ilk).

johnnypaddock and warewolf95 like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Finger Lakes, I guess. I think it goes back to rec.music.phish in the 90's.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  8. warewolf95

You think so? Lyrics aren't what I pay attention usually, and Phish doesn't have anything on the Dead, but so far they seem pretty good lyrically. Maybe silly, but complex and interesting (I think, lol).

Maybe not. A lot of songs are very "oridnary" seeming but then there's lots of other stuff where the lyrics are crazy. :)

musicarus and Doggiedogma like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ah, I was too slow to ever put that together. I think I was on that group for a while in '92 and '93, but dropped off of it after I graduated college in '93.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. warewolf95

Crap, I wasn't even born yet. I feel so far behind, haha.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Some of them are enjoyable, and a lot of them suit the spirit of the band, but wouldn't work for anyone else. It's not a roadblock for me, but I don't see a Nobel prize for literature in their future either.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. warewolf95

Holy crap boys and girls, I picked a good show tonight!!!

12/30/13

Nonstop energy from the word GO! If you like your Phish to rock this is the show for you!

Ghost>Weekapaug Groove

Oh, my, sweet jeezus. I've never jammed this hard in my life (and I've done some jamming, thanks)

:yikes:

Billy_Sunday, B-Mike, adamos and 2 others like this.
  13. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I was at these shows, too - fun weekend, weather and all. It was the first time I seen the band since the three UIC shows in 98.

Haven't seen another one since the 2013 Northerly shows , but usually catch at least one webcast per tour. Definitely still playing some interesting music.

Doggiedogma and trd like this.
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Interesting... I hadn't realized how polarizing that set was. I love it, but I can understand the frustration if someone was in attendance and not expecting something like that.

15. trd

trd Forum Resident

That was my 3rd show too :cheers:

Billy_Sunday and pbuzby like this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone reference Treys drug use when discussing 95.

Doggiedogma, Crispy Rob and musicarus like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Mikes isn’t on that album :shrug:

18. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Wrongorino! The lyrics are part and parcel of their essence. The alliteration and onomatopoeia in Esther, the diverse sensations in Reba, the scent of axilla, smell of a mule, the taste, the freedom of floating, the bouncing, the crystal reverberations, the thickness of the foam, the breaking glass, the Golgi apparatus, the under things in undermined, maybe so, cool shade of the banana tree, piano witch, frozen mice, honey melon watercress, fish shoes, start to run, stop your ****, give up yourself before...incredible unique and unprecedented. Feel free to add your fave lyrics....

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I didn't know you were that far gone!

20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Well this happens to every band, the early years are fresh, uncharted playing, but as the years go on and more material is released, bands tend to get more solid and "professional" if you know what I mean. After playing a tune hundreds of times, it will develop a pattern or set musical triggers. Phish were still exciting and intricate through out the whole of the '90's, I can't pass judgment on M2K years as I haven't listened to much from this time.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your hands and feet are mangos, you’re gonna be a genius anyway.

22. warewolf95

On the advice of you lovely folks I've got my hands on the available volumes of the Live Bait series.

Sampling Vol. 3, in what universe could they possibly pull off a 59 minute Runaway Jim?! This one, apparently.

Christ!

23. warewolf95

That's an interesting thing with following an artist - seeing when their "main initial growth" comes to an end and they reach fruition, so to speak. Not that they are done by this point but that the act has established basically what you come to expect from them and the youthful unknown is gone.

So to speak, lol.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  24. warewolf95

So my uncle and I are team truck drivers. We've been off the road for about 2 months now because our previous employer was screwing us.

Long story short we are in cahoots with multiple companies right now and should hopefully be on the road again for one of them by the end of this week.

My point is that the Live Bait series will be PERFECT for my daily 11 hour driving shift ;)

25. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Lyrics schmyrics. ;)

You could make a fabulous cd of Bowie - Divided Sky - Hood - Slave - YEM, (and quite frankly, you SHOULD!) that would run to about 10 lines in total.