Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I listened to parts of 3/26/93 yesterday. "Melt" from that show was more of an old school, high energy version as opposed to the minimalist, slow building version from "Demand."

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  2. trd

trd Forum Resident

With all that time I'd find something other than the first shows back after a 5 year break. They played so many great shows in their career, I can't think of much of anything from that first leg of 09 summer that is worth revisiting imo

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Not a single thing? :/

I mean, that Hampton run was really killer.

Gotta keep in mind though that this will be done in a tractor trailer driving down the highway - I've got a few hundred other shows from all throughout their career loaded on the iPod as well (and I'll probably break from the marathon after a day, lol).

Point is, sound quality is a big factor when I'm driving - can't blare an echoey audience recording with all the noise of the truck and expect to enjoy it :p

Well, I could, but I've got a passenger/driver partner as well - who thankfully doesn't care what I play - but I still can't go ultra crazy, ya know?

Now, If I was off the road and at home that'd be a totally different matter. :)

4. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

I'm with trd. I'd dig into some highlights from Summer 15 or Fall 16 if we're talking about post-retirement Phish (though you'll get lots of differing opinions on this topic, there are highlights scattered throughout).

Speaking of good sound quality for driving down the highway – I am so utterly impressed with the sound quality the band has dialed in in this most recent summer tour. I was listening to Atlanta night 1 and Merriwether night 2 upon recommendation and they didn't disappoint (and that sound quality of their rigs is better than ever).

trd, Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.
  5. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

If you're looking into more 2009 Phish, that Sand from Camden is a real winner.

Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.
  6. warewolf95

Yea, I've looked into later stuff a lot but until I become a lot more familiar with all of the new material from 3.0 onwards (album or non album) I'm holding off. I'm just barely comign to grips with the "original" discography :p

Monroro likes this.
  7. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

adamos and Erik B. like this.
  8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Too bad no couch tour tonight

musicarus likes this.
  9. trd

trd Forum Resident

The Red Rocks shows are good. The night with Melt, Crosseyed and Tweezer is a must listen

Billy K sits on in drums for a few tunes the last night

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  10. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

12. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

13. B-Mike

This show was the very first post in this thread more than 3 years ago. Thanks everyone!

14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This thread needs more participation !!

15. warewolf95

16. B-Mike

17. warewolf95

Just finishing 5 1 09 Boston

An excellent if ordinary show, the tremendous highlight was the Tweezer>Light (debut)

Was not expecting that!!! The transition was completely seamless!

Ive heard great things about Light. Lookibg forward to more of it in the future. :)

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Light is usually a very good sign for a set that includes it in (obviously) the 3.0 era. The Greek 2011 and Shoreline 2015 versions both were good ones that I caught live.

adamos, Monroro and warewolf95 like this.
  19. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Loved this show last night! We were on the floor for the first set and just up the side of the stage for set two...the boys played with precision and confidence. Really great stuff and the best tour opener I can recall in a loooonnnng time.

Erik B., Crispy Rob, adamos and 2 others like this.
  20. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I've been listening to more '99 shows lately. I didn't see many shows in '99 (7/17, 7/18, 12/5, 12/30, 12/31), and usually when I want to listen to a show it's going to be from '94. There is some great stuff in '99 though. I think the show I listened to most recently is 9/14/99, and it is a great one. The first set is solid, but the second set is where things really take off. Highly recommended.

adamos, trd and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Yeah, me too. And they even us a perfectly placed toilet break at the of set 2.

22. trd

trd Forum Resident

I can’t stand the song itself but there’s usually a good jam and often times a great jam

Monroro likes this.
  23. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Light is a perfect song to listen to on Phish Just Jams

Erik B. and trd like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't think I mind the song itself, but I don't really remember the song part all that well, which is probably a sign. But I do remember the jams, and it usually is part of a nice long jam sequence of a few songs.

Erik B. and trd like this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

listened to a bit of tonight's show on Mixr. They sounded good. Can't wait til the Vegas run.

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.