Phono Preamp for under $175

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few months back, I was wondering about what tube preamps for -$400 would be good... Well, $400 will take me forever to save up. I have to save up a lot of money, as all teenagers have to do, and I still need a phono preamp, as I just used my Pioneer VSX-454 reciever as a way to (via headphone jack to MIC IN) record vinyl... Sadly, I have to get the recording levels just right, or else I get major compression (and bass). I know that I need something way better than using a reciever with rather high levels of hiss and hum. What are some recommendations for preamps for under $175?

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I just got a Schiit for my second system. My preamp began acting up so I pressed my NAD into preamp duty. No phono jack. My experience with the Schiit is good. Sounds fine. No noise. Cheap. Noise has been a complaint on those. Folks here seem to like the Lounge a lot.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

4. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Davey likes this.
  5. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

6. youraveragevinylcollector

I'm looking for one with adjustable gain, or outputs quietly, as my soundcard on my PC is very picky. I am seeing a bunch of results for Little Bear T7 tube preamps... Not sure why. Those any good? (Seen them from China and California... Seems a little sketchy to me.)

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Emotiva XPS-1 at $179 shipped. This is my favorite budget phono stage by far. I felt it easily bested the Clearaudio Nano I was using with my Concept MC at the time, and would later use it with a VPI Classic/OC9ii rig. Probably my favorite <$1000 phono stage.

vinylvin, SandAndGlass and dadonred like this.
  8. youraveragevinylcollector

It looks pretty great and well-made, but, I wonder how I would adjust the resistance settings for an AT440MLb cartridge.

9. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would go for as low capacitance as possible and look at something around 30K if you can set it that way. I always ended up with mine at 32K and 100pF, which gives it a flatter frequency response.

11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

For a teenager on a super tight budget ART DJ PRE all the way. Less than $40, adjustable gain, good sound. Don't make it complicated. Amazon, $40. That's your answer. Action Pact had it right.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've never felt the ART deserves the praise it receives TBPH. I even did the trendy thing and ran it off a battery. an AT440 is a good enough cartridge to warrant spending more then $40 on a phono.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

It's a teenager for whom dollars are precious. The ART DJ is worth every penny of those $40. We're advising a kid for whom "saving up" $400 would take "forever" to spend more than the cost of the ART DJ on a freaking preamp? CONTEXT.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

CONTEXT: He currently has a phono preamp that is roughly the same caliber as the ADJ, and is looking for something better. He's set his budget at $175. He has a cartridge that would benefit from the difference in a ~$175 phono vs. a $40 one. He can continue using what he has in the meanwhile.

SandAndGlass and Agitater like this.
  15. youraveragevinylcollector

@H8SLKC and @Rolltide I actually have no preamp. I am literally using my reciever's headphone output with a headphone cord, hooking it into my computer. I get much more noise and hum than what I would probably get if I used a preamp. I like something simple, but a good, low noise preamp with a nice and wide soundstage. Sorry if I confused you all. Not saying I did, just clearing the lines.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So, you are plugging the turntable into the Pioneer though, right? Otherwise how else are you using the headphone amp output, or the turntable at all? Based on what you're saying, is your main goal to have a better way to record vinyl?

17. youraveragevinylcollector

Yes. I was thinking about getting a tube preamp a few months ago, but the one that was recommended the most to me was $400, and yes, it was extremely high quality, but it is just too much. I'm trying to save as much money as possible (it's complicated) so I need something under $175, that still sounds good. Something with a gain control and a close to flat frequency response.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

19. youraveragevinylcollector

bluemooze likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Why do you need gain adjustment? Are you making needledrops?

From reading your posts it almost seems like you need two things: 1) a phono preamp and 2) a headphone amp.

21. This would seem perfect for you. Very smart looking too. I would give it a go if i was you.

Jelloalien likes this.
  22. Another good option!!

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Go to the For Sale section and check out the guy selling a NAD phono stage with a USB output for $70. Good phono stage, fantastic solution for vinyl rips. It doesn't have a gain control, but you wouldn't need it with USB.

SandAndGlass and H8SLKC like this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

@OP Your problem is the way you use what you got. You should take the signal from receiver's tape out to your pc line in and see the results, not from headphone out. Try it and report back for further info.

25. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

I love my Rega A2D. It has adjustable gain and a USB output. Looks to be right around $175 now. Rip direct to hard drive and run it through Clickrepair. Done.

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.