Phono Preamp Specs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by okeeffe6, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okeeffe6

okeeffe6 New Member Thread Starter

All,

I'm currently using my Onkyo receiver's phono preamp and will eventually move to an outboard phono preamp. In the meantime, I think it sounds pretty good, but wondering if there's anything glaring in the specs:

Input Sensitivity and Impedence- 2.5mV/47k

Phono Overload- 70 mV (MM 1kHz .5%)

Signal to Moise Ratio- 80db (PHONO IHF-A)

Onviously an outboard will benefit from a separate power supply, better capacitors, amongst other factors, but any thoughts to the Onkyo's phono preamp specs?

Thanks.

2. okeeffe6

Btw...

Project Debut Carbon Esprit
    Ortofon 2M Red
    Audioquest Diamondback Interconnects

3. okeeffe6

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Those specs aren't the ones that would have much effect on anything you might hear. The sensitivity just determines how high you'll have to turn the volume knob for a given output volume. The overload isn't important since in most cases you'll be using a standard phono cartridge which won't come anywhere near overloading the preamp at that level. The noise spec is just handwaving unless it's specified as an RMS level with an actual cartridge connected (not shorted inputs) and in almost any halfway decent preamp beyond the late 20th century will be far below the inherent surface noise of records anyway. A more useful spec (and one more likely to vary between preamps to a possibly audible level) that they didn't give you would have been the preamp's RIAA curve decoding accuracy, probably expressed as frequency response. A couple of tenths of a dB over the 20-20K range would be something good to shoot for. If the capacitive load the preamp shows the cartridge is not adjustable, that would be nice to know, too.

5. okeeffe6

thanks Totale...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.