Picture Show (A thread for interesting photos from the world of movies and TV)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 15, 2015.

1. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

And I think it was a set up for the 66 Batman feature, as I don't recall them using the Bat Boat for TV episodes. Though, Batman did surf against Joker once, so who knows...

smilin ed likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I was out in LA around 90 and took the Universal tour. I thought we would see these neighborhood back yard settings. Didn't see hardly any of them. I was really looking to see the beav's house, having grown up with the series. There were no neighborhoods as such on the tour, except the square with the clock tower, used in back to the future. They explained that the same set was downtown Mayfield in Leave it to Beaver.

The Cleaver house was featured on the tour. When we stopped in front of it, there was no neighborhood, just another field full of weeds, no driveway or anything. The house was there on concrete blocks. They explained that, it was being relocated to the new Universal City - Florida, which was opening up next year.

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

This photo makes it appear that poor Wendy is being taken advantage of by both Paul and Sam Ahab. :cop:

OldSoul likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, I do believe Mr. Lucas did refer to her as 'sexy knickers'.

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I recognize everyone there except the blonde at the bottom. Who is that?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What surprises me about this shot from Gone with the Wind is that they're using two boom mics. Note also the big fill light right next to the Technicolor camera. I think the film being used had an effective ISO of like 25, so this stock needed a ton of light.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, ex_mixer and smilin ed like this.
  8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

apesfan and smilin ed like this.
  9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  10. JozefK

Tony Randall's cameo "in his own face" in The 7 Faces of Dr Lao:

[​IMG]

His other faces:

[​IMG]

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Scooterpiety likes this.
  13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Filming Andy Griffith's opening sequence.
    [​IMG]

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

17. JozefK

Photo from a cocktail party thrown by George Plimpton, for a Life magazine article on the independent film production scene, December 1963:

[​IMG]

Clockwise among the group inside the sofa area in the foreground, from left: George Plimpton himself, of course, with glass in hand; then Maggie Abbott; Anna Lou Humes (wife of Harold L. “Doc” Humes Jr.); Bill Styron (in profile talking to Truman Capote on the left end of the sofa); then Doc Humes (smoking his signature Meerschaum pipe and leaning over to talk to Truman); Truman himself and his bulldog, Charlie, whom you can just make out on the floor; Tom Gallagher (“The Gathering Darkness”) in the middle on the sofa; and right on the sofa Alex Austin (“The Blue Guitar”).

Standing at the end of the sofa with one arm akimbo is Mario Puzo (“The Dark Arena”); the man with the big grin standing in the foreground is Jack Richardson (“The Prodigal”); I can’t identify the man he partly obscures, but behind him is Bruce Jay Friedman, in glasses (“Stern,” “A Mother’s Kisses”). Sitting around the table are Eleanor and Frank Perry (writer and director of the film “David and Lisa”), and in the foreground Arthur Kopit (“Oh Dad, Poor Dad. …”).

Standing in the middle distance, from the left, are Jonathan Miller (“Beyond the Fringe”); he is looking at Bill Wilson, an organizer of our group and a TV producer and aide to the Kennedy campaign who was involved with his successful debate with Nixon. (We can see only the back of Bill Wilson’s head, which in turn obscures the face of the producer Bill Becker, so that we see only his blond hair. The next unobscured face belongs to Terry Southern (“Doctor Strangelove,” as screenwriter); then Richard Leacock (the documentary filmmaker); Bob Lasky (our group attorney); and Paul Heller (producer of “David and Lisa”). In the far background, on the right in glasses, is Peter Matthiessen (“Raditzer,” “The Cloud Forest”), talking with Ralph Ellison.

Finally, sitting against the back of the sofa, turned away from the camera, is Elmer Bernstein (the film composer), and partly obscured, in glasses, is Sidney Lumet (“The Pawnbroker,” “Fail-Safe,” “Long Day’s Journey Into Night,” “The Fugitive Kind”). — Maggie Abbott[

I remember that most wives and girlfriends were not included in the photo shoot. [If you look closely at the great mirror on the right-hand side of the photograph, a group of three women, who could be described as somewhat disgruntled-looking, can be seen looking onto the scene from what appears to be the doorway of another room. — S.C.]​

Backstory on the party here:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/plimptons-party/

ex_mixer and smilin ed like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Football trophy on the right--heh.

In the back of the room sits what looks like a cousin of Zep's "object".

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

20. JozefK

I Love Lucy scriptwriter Bob Carroll with Vivian Vance in the ILL episode "Bon Voyage". They're watching as Lucy scrambles to board the ship from the dock.

[​IMG]

SomeCallMeTim, OldSoul and smilin ed like this.
  21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

JozefK likes this.
  22. JozefK

Joan Crawford and Bette Davis in a publicity shot for Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. Soon afterward Crawford was replaced in the film by Olivia De Havilland.

[​IMG]

SomeCallMeTim and halfjapanese like this.
  23. JozefK

24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Oh my, I can't believe they agreeed to work together again after Baby Jane. That's hilarious.

fr in sc likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

not for long, as I read on Wiki. Talk about drama behind the camera..........

OldSoul likes this.