Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - Best sounding CD (updated)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Toby Benjamin

Toby Benjamin Forum Resident

Waters played bass on the DSOTM version whereas Gilmour played all the instruments on the 1981 version excluding sax.

2. I have some different sets of speakers, and I prefer different parts of the same CD version on the different speakers. I have one set that is a bit quicker and more accurate in the midrange, the other has better bass and soundstage.
    I think this factors into peoples preferences. Just a theory.

3. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

How does the MFSL CD compare to the 2011 Remaster CD?

Per the poll, the 2011 is obviously the best sounding one, but is there a reason why? One would think the MFSL would be the best sounding.

4. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

The MFSL is worth every penny, my go to version. IMO

Ale200 likes this.
  5. hogger129

Yes, but what specifically makes it better than the rest? I have the 2011 Immersion Set that has the CD's, DVD-A and BD-A.

Is the MFSL still better?

6. phoenixhwy1982

phoenixhwy1982 The Last Cowboy

The MFSL is definitely a touch too bright for me. The guitar solo on Money can be painful with the volume seriously turned up. The blackface non-TO is basically the MFSL but more neutral sounding. I seriously wonder if the MFSL was EQd.

My guess as to the abundance of votes for the 2011 is that most voters have not heard the other versions.

7. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Forum Resident

I find the clarity to be unbeatable, very smooth and easy on ears. Overall I haven't heard a bad version of this album.

bhazen, klockwerk and kevintomb like this.
  8. hogger129

Ehh I guess I'll just stick by my 2011 Floyd CDs.

I forget which one my dad has, but it's the Capitol Silver face. Is that a 1992/3 Sax remaster? Anyway, I couldn't detect a huge difference in it from my 2011 disc.

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Although for some reason not on the list, my favorite is the mid-80's UK pressing for redbook. I love the SACD best overall. (I own all the versions in the poll.)

klockwerk and danielbravo like this.
  10. hogger129

How would you describe the differences between the original Black Triangle, MFSL and 2011 CD's?

Is the MFSL one worth the price it commands? Would I gain anything from it if I already have the 2011?

11. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

I concur, on a HiEnd system you hear clarity, not too bright to my ears, just perfect.

12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

You ask many questions, grasshopper.

2011 CD sounds plastic in comparison to most other versions. Over futzed-with or something. Black Tri is very good, but sounds to me a gen or two lower than the UK. MSLF sounds good but seems like there's some EQ tweaking. I'd buy the MFSL as a completist or for cheap, under $30. Better than the 2011.

Look for the UK, which are easy to find. Or get a SACD player and be in DSOTM nirvana.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I recently picked up the MFSL at a good price, and did a shoot-out between that & the Harvest black face non-TO. I'd have trouble telling the difference in a blind test, but my first impression was I preferred some tracks on one & some on the other. Definitely both better than the 2011, but even that one's not terrible.

Will second the recommendation for the SACD, but if you have the DVD-A from the Immersion box it may be redundant.

14. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

It isn't since the DVD in the box set is not a DVD-A, and I love them if there isn't an SACD available. But the Blu Ray is there for higher sound quality. It is a huge difference because DVD-A is lossless. The DVD in the box set is not.

Since I only listen to Dark Side in surround, I won't vote.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

My mistake; I was thinking of the Blu-Ray.

16. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Below is a comparison of the histograms from the Harvest black face non-TO CD (matrix CP35-3017 21A2 CDP 7-46001 2) vs. the 2011 Experience remaster. These are both of the song "Money" as a representative example.

Harvest black face ("Money")
    DSOTM Harvest Black Face Money histogram.jpg

2011 Experience ("Money")
    DSOTM 2011 Money histogram.jpg

The 2011 clearly exhibits overall higher volume, some reduction in dynamic range, and modest peak trimming. Nevertheless, it sounds quite good (but I'm sticking with the Harvest as my preferred version).

17. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I just realized that the graphics in my above post should have been described as waveforms, not histograms. Don't know what I was thinking.

18. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

I voted for the 1992 remaster. I also have 2011 remaster, "94" europe remaster and SACD. I find the 2011 remaster has slightly withdrawn mids.

19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

The 1992 remaster is really quite good. If this was the only version a person had they would be doing fine.

20. hogger129

Is the 1992 remaster the same as the original USA Capitol release with the silver face?

21. kaleidakol

kaleidakol Active Member

The best version is the 5/c version made 30 years ago.

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

As a Floyd fan who doesn't have every album in multiple pressings (yes, such people do exist), would it be fair to say that there isn't a version of DSOTM on CD that should be avoided?.

23. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Every version of this I've ever heard sounds good including my old and faithful cassette tape played through a 1983 Emerson "Boom Box".

24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

No. It's the Doug Sax remaster. Very well done I might add.

25. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

The 2003 SACD redbook layer - it really is just too bright. Those chimes at the beginning of Time may leave one requiring a trip to a dentist.
    However, if you have an SACD player, apparently very different story - I don't so can't express personal experience of that layer.

As I said in my round-up of the versions I had heard, the 1992/3 Doug Sax remaster that was readily available at least here in UK prior to 2003 sounds pretty decent as far as the overall sound goes. I'm talking about disc in either the original prism artwork or the solid white prism front cover and multi-rays back cover artwork, both have the etched CD relief map and prism design. This one would be dirt cheap 2nd hand.
    I do kinda like parts of the MoFi however. Money just boogies!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013