Pink Floyd DSOTM + Wizard of Oz theory

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikePh, Nov 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Wasn't that Alexander Bellronski? No ...now I remember he was the first telephone pole.

2. Larry Naramore

Especially when you started fiddling with the horizontal and vertical.

3. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

Heck,I once was playing my Belafonte "Calypso" album while "Laverne And Shirley" was muted and it matched up great!

4. ketchup

ketchup New Member

About AMLoR, i've never done it myself...

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/3528/pf_syncs/sync_pf_r.html

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) with Sayonara (1957)

Instructions:

Start CD at beginning of movie, just before Marlon Brando's name appears. Repeat CD until the end of the movie.

Some things I noticed:

Several aspects of the lyrics apply to the movie.

Learning to Fly. Brando is a pilot in the film.

The Dogs of War describes the bad things that the military does to its enemies as well as its own.

The music changes as the couple kisses. At the beginning of One Slip, the alarm sounds as the couple kisses a third time.

One Slip describes events that happen later in the film. Brando's character falls in love with the lead Asian dancer, and his life changes dramatically.

On the Turning Away "...from the pale and downtrodden" is sung as a pale-faced dancer is down on the ground.

During part of the dance, he whips his head around to the beat of the music.

Yet Another Movie is a hint from Pink Floyd that they have done it again, despite Roger Waters absence from the band.

A New Machine describes Brando's character.

Sorrow. Music synchronizes beautifully with the dancers.

These are the Albums and the Synchs that I believe actually work (like i said, the only ones i've done are Animals/Casablanca, DSotM/Oz, and Echoes from Meddle w/ the end of 2001...)

Animals w/ Casablanca
    DSotM w/ Wizard of Oz
    Echoes (from Meddle) w/ end of 2001 space odyssey

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) with Sayonara (1957)
    Wish You Were Here (1975) with It's a Wonderful Life (1946) << gonna try that this weekend
    The Wall w/ Alice in Wonderland << not sure about that one

there are others but they sound more far-fetched

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/3528/index.html

5. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

6. ketchup

ketchup New Member

haha.. on the site mel83 & I posted, he mentioned that the best of pink floyd album called "Echoes" was released in 2001...

7. Bryon

Bryon Forum Resident

Yeah I remember once in 1969 thinking the Archies had something of great significance to tell me in Sugar Sugar :D

I've had the video sync of this for a few years but never got past the first 10 minutes of the movie before we were interupted - coincidence?????

I'm not convinced.

Bryon

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Scoff all you want, but it works.

9. htom

htom Senior Member

Wouldn't a more mundane explanation be that most film (not all) editing is based on creating a rhythm or regular pace of shots or actions within shots, which is more likely than not able to find some synchronization with a series of music tracks? This made sense when I was writing it...

10. Delta Steve

Delta Steve Forum Resident

Dave Gilmour

I remember reading an interview with Dave Gilmour a few years ago when he dismissed all the Wizard of Oz / :goodie: DSOTM theory as rubbish. He was aware of this theory but as he said at the time, any number of combinations would work, depending how stoned you were!!!

11. ketchup

ketchup New Member

I'd lie about it too, it wouldn't be cool if they just said "yeah we did it..."

12. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

In the video world, it's amazing how many times you play stock music over a commercial
    or piece of video and everything lines up near perfect. Then you go back and tweak the
    video a few frames here or there, and it's all good, the client walks away happy...

I think there are patterns and rhythms in nature that are pleasing. Artistic endeavors
    tapping into these rhythms, as so my developing theory goes, become more pleasing to
    our perception. In the case of two very successful pieces of art, such as WoO and DSotM,
    it's a case of similar rhythms.

That being said, I've watched the synch twice and it it pretty amazing. "Great Gig" playing
    during Dorothy's trip thru the tornado, the "Black and Blue.. Which is which..", Dorothy
    walking the fence on "Balanced on the biggest wave" then falling to "an early grave.."
    I don't believe for an instant that anything intentional, conscious or subconscious went on
    while creating the album that was remotely linked to WoO. I watched an impressive string
    of coincidences, though.

Mark

13. svenskagroda

svenskagroda New Member

I've got a kickin' Darkside of the Rainbow with what claims to be a 1st generation copy of Alan Parson's Quad mix (with LFE and center channel added) what I love about it most is instead of playing DSOTM three times they used the quad mix of "Wish You Were Here" , a multichannel mix of "Pigs on the Wing 1 and 2" from Animals, "Hey You" and "The Trial" from the Wall.

The sound is knock you on your butt clear and powerful. I have DSOTM and WYWH in quad from sources and they don't sound anywhere near as good as the DSOTR DVD does.

Oh yeah there's a movie about a girl from Kansas and her dog taking an acid trip on the DVD too.

01 introduction
    02 speak to me / breathe
    03 on the run
    04 time
    05 the great gig in the sky
    06 money
    07 us and them
    08 any colour you like
    09 brain damage
    10 eclipse
    11 shine on you crazy diamond 1-5
    12 welcome to the machine
    13 have a cigar
    14 wish you were here
    15 shine on you crazy diamond 6-9
    16 pigs on the wing 1-2
    17 hey you
    18 the trial

14. Larry Naramore

Has anyone tried syncing up Michael Jacksons' Thriller with a Pee Wee Herman video?

15. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

17. viator122

viator122 New Member

I demand a congressional hearing.

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

At parties, I used to play old silent movies and cartoons at the same time as various mix tapes I had made. Things would often seem to 'synch' up for extended periods (the themes, the mood, and timing/rhythm). Lots of times people would accuse me of editing things to work out that way intentionally; it was all just random.

19. GregY

GregY New Member

Sure, that's what you say now.... We know the truth.

20. GaryW

GaryW New Member

Too funny.....for those of you who SERIOUSLY believe that the synchs are intentional and not a coincidence...well, you are mistaken...but I will buy a few ounces of what you're smoking!

21. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Just turn the DSOTM upside down and you'll notice this:
    black & white, Tornado, Color. Sounds like The Wizard of Oz to me!

I was Roy Orbison!

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Heh... I just watched the Wizard of Oz video with the DSOTM audio...

I don't believe anything I saw is more than a coincidence (and I can´t imagine who on earth thought about this, anyway)... but you have to see certain things to believe them. The "Great Gig in the Sky", and "Money" tracks have some very neat things going on-screen. Highly recommended...!

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Did you start the music at the "correct" moment for the full audio effect? The film is longer than the album, so are you supposed to replay the music from the beginning for the rest of the movie?

24. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I have no clue as to what's the correct "timing". I started the audio when the MGM logo appeared... and I didn't replay the music...

The real question here, I guess, WHO on earth thought about this? I mean, do you go to your video library and say "I guess The Wizard of Oz goes nicely with DSOTM"? Crazy...

25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Some people have too much time on their hands

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.