Pink Floyd Early Years, Later Years......... Now what's next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

The title says it all really....... We've had the early years box, and the later years is on the way..... We know Animals is likely coming early next year so what's next?

We've had the immersion editions of Dark Side, wish You Were Here and The Wall...... Is that it? Will Roger front a special edition of The Final Cut?... likely if he does Gilmour et al won't have anything to do with that. Will we ever see the concert of The Wall....... We know there's more footage than has been seen so far, in fact Alan Parker said in an interview that the last 5 dates 13th Thru 17th June 1981 were added partly so they could use the oppotunity to film the shows for inclusion in the forthcoming Wall film. Waters has stated, again in an interview that the footage is in 70mm format, and that he has all the footage

Where do we go after the later Years?.

2. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

3. TheOrangeApple

TheOrangeApple Well-Known Member

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets live release hopefully, but i'll settle for the The Wall footage. ;)

Sean, Michael Rose and fishcane like this.
  4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Just give me Animals 5.1, that will do for me then I'm done.

5. bettsaj

There's going to be a CD (vinyl not sure) and likely DVD/Blu-Ray of The Roundhouse gig they did...... As far as I know they filmed The Roundhouse

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  6. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

I guess there could be a revisit of the various members' solo catalogues. In that context, I'd like a remix of Roger's Radio KAOS with the additional material as included in the very unofficial "Project KAOS". If there is a studio version of "Molly's Song", it would be great to have that included too. Track listing on Project KAOS:

01 Get Back To Radio (b-side)
    02 Radio Waves (extended version b-side)
    03 Who Needs Information?
    04 Folded Flags (from When The Wind Blows)
    - possible placing for "Molly's Song" (or after Me Or Him)
    05 Me Or Him
    06 Towers Of Faith (from When The Wind Blows)
    07 The Powers That Be
    08 Going To Live In La (b-side)
    09 The Fish Report With A Beat (not new but now as separate track)
    10 Sunset Strip
    11 Home
    12 Four Minutes
    13 The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)
    14 Pipes And Drums (reprise of Folded Flags in different key)

There is a live version (b-side) of "Molly's Song" but the compiler of Project KAOS didn't think the live atmosphere would fit with the sonics of the rest of the material, so it was left out.

There is at least one official live recording from the 1987 tour and if that is still available would make for a very nice KAOS package.

I did think of David's output but, off the top of my head, can't think of anything a revamped package would include that hasn't already been released - or at least nothing that would part (yet more) hard cash from my bank balance.

xfilian and NunoBento like this.
  7. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

There'd be insane not to do 1973 - 1983. Their middle years are easily their most famous.

mando_dan and kevin5brown like this.
  8. bettsaj

But the question is, has it already been covered with the Immersion Box Sets?.. Sans Animals

9. bettsaj

I don't think any of the solo material is relevant in a Pink Floyd release.......... Why would they want to release any of that. It's heavily weighted in favour of Waters, so he could/should do those releases himself... But would there be a market for it?? Waters has been successful, obvioulsy, but being realistic, his 80's output wasn't ground breaking (with the possible exception of Pros and Cons).

10. TheOrangeApple

TheOrangeApple Well-Known Member

Do we know if that'll be released next year?

11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Good grief, not this one again, not heard of the Immersion boxes then. Those three cost upwards of £250, I don't want to be buying them again. I must have bought Dark Side at least ten times, don't want to have to shell out again.

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

To me, they need to get The Wall 5.1 done and released. It should be a two bluray set with the album in 5.1, and the much mentioned concert on the 2nd disc.
    They should get The Final Cut Mixed for 5.1 and get that released.
    They should get the Animals 5.1 released.
    Then they should either go to therapy, or retire, or both

13. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

did i miss something ??

Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  14. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

IIRC the tapes of the Wall are in too bad a condition to use for a 5.1 mix.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have heard so many varied thoughts on this ... but the last thing I heard was that Guthrie? was well into the project ... If it isn't possible, it isn't possible.
    I think Floyd just need to be a little more clear with their fans about things. They seem to have this isolation in the tower thing going on, and it isn't a good look for them. I know Dave and Roger are somewhat sick of the whole Floyd thing ... at least from reactions I read about it. For their own piece of mind, I think they need to get done what they are going to do, and then they can just slip off into cocktail party life or reclusion, or whatever it is they actually seek.

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I hope they focus on Animals and the Final Cut now. There must be material enough. And after that release a Meddle Immersion Box including all parts of Nothing, the 5.1 mix and the stereo mix of the 1971 BBC concert.

Flippikat and Larry Schmidt like this.
  17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

This is my go-to version when I'm in a KAOS mood. It actually gave me a compeltely new perspective over the material and made me feel sorry that Roger didn't go full-on double album with this.
    "Get Back To Radio" is my favourite Roger solo track of all time.

Fungusmungus likes this.
  18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

But going back back to the OP question, next up it will be the Saucers BluRay at the Roundhouse.
    (although I wish they postpone it to Christmas this year and include a RAH highlights feature as bonus, featuring "Echoes" in its entirety) :hide:

19. bettsaj

I originally read this year...... But I think they're going to do it next year now so it doesn't clash with the Later Years Box.....

20. bettsaj

It's always been slated for a 2020 release, after The Later Years box.... I need to find the source for that information.... I can't remember where I read it now

21. Trixmay 988

Then don't. Not sure why you'd buy it so many times in the first place.
    The collection would ideally contain outtakes and more live performances to make them different. Not the full albums.

22. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Why have I bought Dark Side so many times, maybe I like it..

FWIW
    1st copy March 1973 solid blue triangle, jumped on Money
    2nd copy July(ish) 1974 standard triangle, still jumped on Money
    3rd copy October 1979 MFSL half speed master (£25) Money jump finally gone
    4th copy 1990(ish) CD
    5th copy 1993 20th anniversary box ltd CD edition
    6th copy 2003 30th anniversary SACD
    7th copy 2011 Immersion box
    8th copy 2011 2CD set (for the car)
    9th copy 2016 a 2nd Immersion box(because the BD in the first box failed)
    10th copy single CD card sleeve, (for the hell of it, only £5)
    11th/12th July 2018 replacement BD's for the Immersion fails (do they count ?)
    13th copy 2018 LP re-release

Others, numerous bootlegs bought and downloaded , including
    1974 In Search of the Comet .. TMOQ (£2.25)
    From 1996 onwards various downloads inc Alan Parsons Quad mix DVD-A 2000 and something..

I'm sure that's nothing compared to super serious collectors.

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wish You Were Here I've bought four times now (Sax remaster, Experience 2CD, random 8-track tape, and the SACD)... all I need is a Quad LP version and I'm set :p

I'm done with Dark Side, too. I bought the 80s Capitol CD, then got the MFSL vinyl as a gift, bought the SACD, finally the Immersion set... that's plenty!

Animals — I have the Sax remaster and the 2016 LP remaster, I just want the surround mix now. SACD, Blu-ray, whatever

24. Trixmay 988

I like it too. It was my favourite album at one point and for awhile. I've bought it once...

TheOrangeApple likes this.
  25. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

A proper final album with Roger, Dave, Nick and Rick's pre-recorded keyboards.

wayne66 and mcnpauls like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.