PInk Floyd-Japanesed Mini-LP 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norco74, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Brilliant! Thank you so much for the response!!

While I am not always a huge fan of the mastering used:laugh:, I absolutely love these Japanese Mini LP packaging practices :D :laugh:

Norco74 likes this.
  2. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My box just passed through US Customs. I should have it in the next couple of days!

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I cannot buy all my CD acquisitions in Japanese mini LP format. One thing for sure, they get more airtime at home than normal CD. I am now waiting for a new rerun of the fist PFM on mini LP.

4. Eric Weinraub

PFM?

5. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Neither can I, but I wish I could. (been eyeing up the mini-LP Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and trying to justify the $$ for their first 6 albums)
    I still think this should have been the packaging for CDs from the get go, and I mean real Japanese style mini-LP replicas, not what the U.S. or Europe sometimes pass off as mini-LP style.

** and yes, I realize from a marketing standpoint in the early to mid 80s why they put 'em in a jewel case.

6. Eric Weinraub

The special box is pretty incredible. It arrived today. Japonica did an awesome job getting it for me.

7. DetroitDoomsayer

How about some pics of the box?

Pics or it doesn't exist! :laugh:

pfausto and Carlox like this.
  8. Norco74

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Italian prog from the 70’.

If you have a streaming membership, spin the first five albums. Start with the first one for a better immersion. Could be for you or not...

PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM)

9. Norco74

10. Norco74

Some 70’s Italian prog mini Lp reissues on BTF and AMS are quite stuning as well.

The Roxy Music Complete 1972-1982 studio recordings box set is not from Japan and has my hand down for sound and packaging. Beautiful thick mini Lp replicas.

11. DetroitDoomsayer

I have that box, and I agree that it is very nice for sound and packaging.
    It is missing the lyric inner sleeves for 'Country Life', 'Flesh & Blood' and 'Avalon'.
    It also would have been nice to have the discs printed with the custom picture labels that were original to the LPs that had them.

But, those are minor quibbles. It's still a beautiful box.

12. Norco74

Yes, given the quality of what’s included here, I can care less about lyrics sheets, booklet and original vinyl label. Now selling at $395 US on amazon. Bought it super near mint for $35...

13. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Agreed! I wish I could purchase all of my music from Japan. Even regular digipaks or jewel cases from Japan seem to manufactured to a higher quality than domestic releases, but alas, I simply can't manage that financially.

But for a Mini LP series of Pink Floyd - now that is something special! And luckily I have a very understanding partner.

The first Japanese made Mini LP set I ever purchased was the Beatles in Mono. I have been hooked ever since :p

14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The promo box for the Floyds arrived today and they all fit inside nicely. Along with the Early Years box and the vinyl reissues (which I think are excellent) that is Pink Floyd done for a while. I would like a new mono Saucerful and that will probably be it for me.

15. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if they will be rereleasing Pulse and DSoT on the Mini lp format?

Would love to add those.

16. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Japonica is a new one for me, haven't seen them before. I assume it's the store listed here?

Japonica Music Store | Vinylhub Record Store Database

If so, looks like their domain is either gone or has been hijacked, currently pointing to a squatting site.

17. Norco74

18. Eric Weinraub

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. rcrawley

rcrawley Gotta keep on movin and groovin...

Oh, a personal shopping/re-shipping service...very cool idea. Looks like they're currently not accepting new customers. Great to know this is a viable retirement business model... ;)

Thanks so much for the clarification!

20. Norco74

How come?

You know that the reason to use this ´service’ is because the box was only available to customers with a japanese mailing address.

The limited promo offer, which start on Jan 1 2018, could be over by now.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  21. Eric Weinraub

As I recall, the window to get the boxes was VERY limited. Not only did you get the box, you got the corrected Wish You Were Here packaging AND the Obscured by Clouds sticker to ensure that these two titles are exactly like the original release.

Norco74 likes this.
  22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

The temptation was too strong and I ordered Meddle. Others will surely follow. Since the Mono Beatles cd set I’ve been fascinated by this format :(

23. Eric Weinraub

Just give in and get the rest! I think the reproductions of Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon are incredible.

MartyTem and bherbert like this.
  24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I just ordered Saucerful. Ive only got Meddle at the moment. Slowly building my PF mini LP collection.

25. Eric Weinraub

I'm now working on the Miles Davis Master Sound series from 1996. Just like PF, they are complete mini repros of the CBS originals.

bherbert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.