Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse Of Reason: Am I Ok With The Original CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Animal77, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animal77

Animal77 Active Member Thread Starter

I just picked the original cd of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, and I was just wandering since it hasn't been covered much here. Is this cd a decent sounding one, or is the remaster prefered. What is the difference?

2. Animal77

Ha ha. I didn't mean for it to be a poll. Lol. But this should be interesting. Ha ha. Sorry. My dumb phone has a mind of its own.

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

3 versions of this was issued,the Original 1987 CD,the Columbia 2007 Reissue and the more recent Capitol/EMI Reissues of 2011 and 2009.

4. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Capitol got the rights back to it,after the contract with SONY/CBS expired in 2009.

5. Animal77

Wtf? Are there any differences in the later remasters? Have you heard them all?

6. Animal77

Good for capital. How does it compare to the Columbia original? I bet its compresed.

7. Animal77

So you just come on my thread to correct me but give no insight to my original question. Ok that should be against the rules or something.

8. Animal77

Ok i guess my whole thread is stupid. Why cannot I just close my own gd thread ?

9. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

There's a new version in the works as well, removing all the 80s sounding stuff... Mason has re-recorded the drum parts and they are picking out live keyboard parts where there is no alternative for Rick's stuff.

10. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I have the 1992 Columbia SHINE ON boxed set remaster, and I really like the audio quality on it! So much so, that I never felt the need to upgrade to the 2007 or later versions. I have never heard the original 1987 Columbia CD though, but would think that it might sound a bit primitive compared to any of the later remasters, so I would go with a remaster. My '92 CD sounds very rich, with nice levels of bass and punch, and I doubt the '87 CD has that.

I also hear that the most recent, 2011 remasters are excellent, with arguably the best sound quality to date, so I would probably get that edition.

11. Darren Richardson

Darren Richardson Forum Resident

Is that still in the works? There was some discussion about this last year, but it seems to have gone quiet since then.

George McClellan likes this.
  12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Well your guess is as good as mine. David Gilmour said he was working on it. Maybe once he's done with his new album? Who knows?

13. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Get the original CD as it was originally released in late 1987. You simply cannot go wrong !!!

rcsrich, Shak Cohen, Agent57 and 3 others like this.
  14. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Are they REALLY doing this? Ridiculous. Leave the record as it was recorded in 1986/87.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Which "original"? It has been discussed in the other threads that there is more than one mastering among CDs with the original U.S. catalog number.

Also, I imagine the original European EMI CD has a different mastering than the discs issued in the U.S.

16. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Pretty pointless excercise I'd say. The album was done in the 80's and sounds that way. Nothing wrong with that. What's the point I ask again - don't get me wrong, I think it's a very good album ("Learning To Fly", "On The Turning Away" and "A New Machine" are some very nice songs IMO) but the album is hardly going to be regarded as a timeless masterpiece whether or not the 80's artifacts are removed.

Hopefully, Gilmour has abandoned the project to focus on a new solo album (and it seems this is the case).
    I like the 2011 remaster of this one - a few tracks like "On The Turning Away" and "One Slip" especially seem to benefit from the upgrade.

hystericalbride and DDTM like this.
  17. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

I believe the dry remix stuff has been placed on the shelf. I thought I read the project was considered for a possible Immersion set.

18. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

I believe there was a 1997 remaster on Columbia, at least here in the US.

4stringking73, tkl7 and Platterpus like this.
  19. ProgDave74

As to the original question: can't say that I noticed that much sound difference between the various versions on this CD. To be fair, it's not a huge favorite of mine, so I haven't studied it extensively.

What I did find amusing, though, is that the original issue had a photo of Gilmour & Mason on the inside. In later reissues, somebody airbrushed Wright into the picture. Always felt like revisionist history to me :)

Solace and Platterpus like this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I always understood that the 2007 remaster was exclusive to the Oh By The Way box set. Or was it released separately as well?

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's the one I have, CK 68518. "Re-mastering supervised by James Guthrie. Mastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab, LA."

As for the OP's question, I'm afraid that's the only copy I have of this title, so I haven't compared with other editions.

Platterpus likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks, I did not know that. Reading the later posts here it seems that might have been shelved though (?). That is disappointing to me since I love that album and would have been interested in hearing a different mix of it. I hope they still do release that someday.

23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The 1997 remasters of this album along with WYWH, Animals, The Wall, Dance Songs, and The Final cut were supervised by the band as well (whatever that means). That's what it said on the hype sticker. I have all the 1997 remasters and am quite happy with them. The 2000 Capitol reissues share the same remastering as the 1997 Columbia's. The only 1997 that didn't get issued in 2000 was The Final Cut which has a different mastering and When The Tigers Broke Free added to the program and was issued in 2004.

24. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Wright was actually in the original photo, but they cropped him out for the original CD release. So it was the actual original CD that was revisionist. Probably because at that point he hadn't been completely reinstated as a full member of the band yet, but was just on a salary.

Jose Jones and wayneklein like this.
  25. ProgDave74

What is your source for this info? It really looks to me like Wright was Photo-shopped in later. But, yes, I assume Wright was added (or restored?) when he became a full member of the band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.