Pink Floyd/Nick Mason RS Interview: No More Archives?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clucking, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life Thread Starter

2. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Time for people to start buying Porcupine Tree albums.

3. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

So...no Live at Pompeii blu ray or Delicate Sound of Thunder dvd/blu ray? A true shame.

With the exception of Meddle, OBC, AHM, and movie soundtracks, nothing of the Early Years set was of interest to me very much.

4. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life Thread Starter

I was really hoping for some live recordings of the '77 tour.

Jimbino, ODShowtime and jay.dee like this.
  5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure some more archival Floyd releases will come but not that soon. Apart of the Animals remix I think we should wait another few years.
    Maybe the 'no' from Nick is just a way to keep things secret.

Clucking likes this.
  7. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Nothing to release? Here are a few things I'd like to see:

1. Their entire album catalog reissued on individual Blu-Ray discs containing hi res (96/24 or higher) versions of (i) the original stereo mix (plus the original mono mix in the case of their first two albums), (ii) the original quad mix (where available) and (iii) new stereo and 5.1, all in hi res (96/24 or 192/24).

2. A stand alone release of the complete Wembley '74 concert.

3. An official bootleg series consisting of vintage concert recordings from best available sources (ideally multitracks, but also soundboard recordings) - ok if this is download only

4. A 40th Anniversary The Wall Box Set containing:

-- A newly restored unedited version of The Wall album, adding back in everything that was taken out to fit the album only 2LPs, in both stereo and 5.1 hi res.
    -- Roger Water's original demo recording of The Wall, as presented to the band
    -- A concert video from the original 1980-81 tour

Personally, I'd also like to see Roger Water's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking get the superdeluxe treatment with a box set containing:

-- The original stereo mix, but new stereo and 5.1 mixes, all in hi res
    -- Roger Water's original demo recording, as presented to Pink Floyd
    -- The backdrop projections from the tour, plus the three promotional videos
    -- At least one, and preferably two concert recordings (one with the 1984 line-up, one with the 1985 line-up), along with any live footage that exists
    -- A reproduction of the tour program

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Nothing more to release.... apart from all the Syd era stuff they inexplicably left off the box set.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I'll scoop up any release that has a HQ version of the Barrett-era "Beechwood" track. My concern for Squire Mason's royalties may be less than zero.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't think that's up to them, that's Adrian Maben's call.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Uh, that did get get released on the Early Years set.

12. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Sorry! I was going by my old boots. Good to know it's different.

13. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

What is all of that, if you don't mind me asking...... :wave:

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Arnold Layne & Currant Bun (stereo mix/session)
    Untitled (Sunshine)
    Vegetable Man (alternate takes)
    Jugband Blues (alternate overdubs)
    Reaction In G (studio version)
    Bike (RM1, alternate vocals/lyrics, no harmonium)
    Lucifer Sam (RM1, early version)
    Chapter 24 (alt take 5)
    Pow R Toc H (RM1, alt mix)
    The Gnome (alt mix)
    Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk (alt mix)
    Interstellar Overdrive (rough mix, take 2 unedited)
    Paintbox (early version)
    Remember a Day (alternate mono mix)

Not to mention the (definitely existing!!) master quality 1967 BBC session stuff which is presented in awful sub-bootleg quality on the box.

15. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Both songs finally appeared, officially, in the massive 2016 archival set The Early Years 1965-1972. Is there anything left in the cupboard for a follow-up?
    Not that I know of. The only thing we’ll probably do is a release of [1977’s] Animals, with new remastering.

Are there any live shows from that tour to go with it?
    Not that we can think of [laughs]. But we’ll keep looking.

That last response directly contradicts what @rontoon has said that the band is working on the soundboard audio. Why is Nick denying this or does he not want to let the cat out of the bag yet?

ODShowtime and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

Just give me a live show off the Animals tour and no one will get hurt

17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Not that it means Nick still has the tape in his archives, but it's ironic that Mason is the guy who was being interviewed in 1969 and he played a reel of rehearsals with Syd for the interviewer. The interviewer's recording of that chat and reel demonstration is the basis of the "Vegetable Man" rehearsal. You can hear Nick chatting on extended versions of that recording.

Love Nicky though, especially in light of his recent vintage PF outing. Hope it suggests his interests are still in that old world.

18. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

You're right. But as for Delicate Sound of Thunder---man, I know Gilmour doesn't like that period but it was the only one shot with film, unlike Pulse. A shame it wont see the light of day. My dad saw them during that tour @ Pontiac silverdome.

Theres plenty of pro shot rehearsal footage from 87, along with interviews, etc. Plenty of stuff for a decent 2 disc release, at least. Theres also some really cool passes, posters, etc they could toss in.

19. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Maybe Nick is left out of the project - like ''You're too emotionally involved to take a part''. Or just ''You don't have any songwriting credits here, get out!''.

willy likes this.
  20. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

:biglaugh:

Hillel abramov likes this.
  21. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Wont Animals need a new mix to fix it's issues (i.e the drum sound) rather than just a remaster. Has Nick misspoken, or as we not getting the promised remix?

ohnothimagen likes this.
  22. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Roger Waters has already confirmed that a 5.1 Animals is in preparation so they’ll already be in the process of going back to the multis. A new stereo mix would be interesting, for sure. The Immersion / SACD hi res releases of DSOTM and WYWH are “just” remasters. Even though it was pulled from release, Meddle got a stereo remix, (did Obscured By Clouds as well?), so there is certainly interest in the Floyd camp in remixing old recordings.

Waters had a new stereo mix of Amused To Death released which was pretty well received, so nothing is impossible.

ohnothimagen and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am not really convinced that any of the band really know what is in the archive so I tend to take any comments from the band about how little is left with a pinch of salt .

I seem to remember both Nick and David saying that only a few minutes of The Wall show was captured on film but we know now that a complete show does exist.

At the end of the day, bands (and the estates of band members) will always want to make money so there will always be something to release.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It's not much but it's something:
    Pink Floyd - May 9, 1977

25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Not a rehearsal. That version of Vegetable Man is the first of three versions recorded at the October 1967 De Lane Lea. Live bass, drums, rhythm guitar with Syd's lead guitar SI.

This version exists in perfect quality on E68413 - one of seven 4T reels in the vault from late 1967 that the Early Years box compilers didn't bother with.

The first Vegetable Man re-make is faster complete version with vocal overdubs (per Phil Smee who heard it when compiling Opel).....Not that anyone would want to hear something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.