Pink Floyd Officially Breaks Up - Gilmour: "We Are Done"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Pink Floyd Officially Breaks Up

Last year, David Gilmour and Nick Mason reconvened for the release of Pink Floyd’s first new album in 20 years, The Endless River. It appears the reunion was short lived, however.

In an interview with Classic Rock Magazine, Gilmour says the band is “done” with Pink Floyd. “I’ve had 48 years in Pink Floyd – quite a few of those years at the beginning, with Roger [Waters]. And those years in what is now considered to be our heyday were 95% musically fulfilling and joyous and full of fun and laughter. I certainly don’t want to let the other 5% colour my view of what was a long and fantastic time together. But it has run its course, we are done – and it would be fakery to go back and do it again.”

“Obviously I accept there are people who want to go and see and hear this legend that was Pink Floyd, but I’m afraid that’s not my responsibility. To me, it’s just two words that tie together the work that four people did together. It’s just a pop group. I don’t need it. I don’t need to go there.”

Gilmour also said that reuniting without Richard Wright would be “wrong.” The Endless River included unreleased lyrics and music written by Wright prior to his death in 2008.

Fans of Pink Floyd can instead look forward to the release of Gilmour’s new solo album, Rattle That Lock, which he’ll support with a North American tour next year. Gilmour’s Pink Floyd bandmate Roger Waters is also planning a new album and tour.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/pink-floyd-breaks-up/

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  2. john hopkins

john hopkins Active Member

Glad about that, but sad all the same - Endless River was hardly worthy of what we know as the Pink Floyd anyways.

3. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

David is better solo anyway!

jsayers, Carlox, Chris C and 5 others like this.
  4. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I think Mr. Gilmour is a class act. Always articulate and is respectful to Wright's memory.

5. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

"We" are not on the same page. :)

tedhead, Clanceman, CBC and 18 others like this.
  6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Works for me. The body of work left behind is an awesome achievement.

D.D.

ronm, sathvyre, SuntoryTime and 17 others like this.
  7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

This seemed likely to happen, though of course sad to see the formal announcement.

theMess likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think it's funny that he says he's been in Pink Floyd for 48 years but for at least 20 years they were completely inactive. :laugh:

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I thought The Endless River was their formal announcement.

10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Disagree. Endless River embodied most of what I loved about Pink Floyd.

That said, I'm glad he's calling it a day. Would not be the same without RW.

sathvyre, Carlox, linclink and 6 others like this.
  11. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Well said David G, but about 30 years too late.

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I think it's wise of Gilmour and Co. to let it go and avoid moving on with the band to embarrassment like so many others bands do. They still have their fans and their wonderful discography to keep us happy. No need to taint their legacy either. I do think that Gilmour and the rest of the band should consider tapping the vaults for unreleased material. Without Richard Wright in the fold it would be quite artificial to continue on anyways.

wayne66 and mj_patrick like this.
  13. john hopkins

john hopkins Active Member

Well Pink Floyd for me finished with Animals - you know, before Waters' bombast and self-importance took over.

You might think I'm being harsh, but the Gilmour era Floyd are crucially let down by Polly Samson's banal lyrics which just don't cut the mustard, and Gilmour's erstaz Floydian guitar tropes. I cringe with embarrishment whenever I hear something like High Hopes.

And I stand convinced that Endless River is a dreadful and unworthly postscript to the likes of Wish You Were Here.

14. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Only people that have no life would argue about any of this.I am waiting for Dave's new album.

e.s. and Gregster like this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

16. Sir Cosmic

Sir Cosmic Active Member

Doesn't that describe Animals? Animals is actually my least favorite Pink Floyd album. Unlistenable to me.

Drew769 likes this.
  17. No. Animals has some great tunes. After that, the band wasn't really saved until Gilmour delivered the goods on The Division Bell. None of Roger Waters' solo work has any resonance at all (for me).

18. Josh C

Josh C Forum Resident

I think Animals is a great album. Certainly in the top 5 for me. Of PF albums that is.

I'm glad that David made it official. His remarks were spot on. PF has run it's course but with the beautiful work that was created it will live forever.

keyXVII, petem1966, The Beave and 7 others like this.
  19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Disagree. It was a beautiful coda to an amazing career and even more importantly a touching tribute to Wright. Being able to move on is a sign of maturity and I respect the hell out of Gilmour.

keyXVII, Roberto899, SJP and 9 others like this.
  20. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

In other news, Kurt Cobain has passed away.

21. Josh C

Josh C Forum Resident

To each his own. I like Pros and Cons and Amused to Death. Probably listen to them once every couple months.

Clanceman and GowG like this.
  22. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member Thread Starter

Zep Fan likes this.
  23. kath

kath Well-Known Member

they have given me very close to a lifetime's worth of fantastic music. ever grateful, me.

24. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Is this really news though? Roger has been saying for years now that he would NEVER get back with Pink Floyd. Even in recent years he has said it. I'm pretty sure David also said it when Endless River was being talked about

sandmountainslim1 and grandegi like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A formal announcement could clear the way for Waters and/or Mason to tour as Pink Floyd if they wanted to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.