Pink Floyd - PULSE rereleased on vinyl - official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mestreech, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Finally succumbed last weekend when price on Amazon was £71 (blink and you missed it). Incredible sound, beautifully pressed vinyl and nicely presented.

2. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Great price, wonderful set, enjoy!

Echoes Myron and Pancat like this.
  3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Playing 2nd LP side two what a great sounding live LP just wanted to say maybe the best sounding live album in my collection.

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

You have a point. The vinyl and cassette versions do, however, contain a song that couldn't fit onto the cd set. That means that people who bought the primary format (cd) weren't able to enjoy the entire album. That makes me wonder, what format was Pulse actually designed for?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  5. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Bought this set last week and it does sound really good, but theres something....kinda weird or artificial sounding to me :confused: Not sure i'm explaining myself properly, but maybe overproduced? When I compare to say the remastered Beatles albums, its not as good, almost like they tried too hard on Pulse. Perhaps because its a live recording? Anyways, the set is awesome, and very much enjoyed sitting down, dimming the lights and getting lost in the experience :righton:

6. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Listening again now. If sounding like I'm standing right there watching them play is overproduced, more of it please! The clarity of all the instruments is no doubt even better than if I were standing in a concert hall. You can't compare a live recording to studio remasters, IMO. The space of the event is always present. This Pulse release compares very favorably to Kate Bush's Before the Dawn, for instance, which I also have on vinyl. Even better, but they do compare. Both reproduce lush landscapes from original studio recordings in exceptionally executed performances that manage to feel more vibrant in just that way live performance ought to while making me want to revisit the original material.

Glad you're enjoying it in low lights! I prefer that as well.

Pancat, AnalogJ, Echoes Myron and 2 others like this.
  7. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Just received this set after much hesitation on buying it — I haven’t listened but just have to comment that the presentation and box is absolutely beautiful. This brings back memories of the ‘90s and the Division Bell, which was how I got into listening to the Pink Floyd.

I always adored the artwork and this brings it up a notch. But where is the blinking light?

The booklet has really great pictures and the set is lovely. Can’t wait to hear how it sounds after all reviews.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Probably the battery has died powering the light. No pulse there.

The Revealer and James Bennett like this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I thought the light was only specific to the original cd set.

Anyway, wait till you play this! Maybe the best sounding title of the PFLP reissues, in terms of SQ.

Szeppelin75 and James Bennett like this.
  10. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

It was — I’m jk.

11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Ahhhh.... No wonder the batteries didn't work.

12. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Hi!

I just saw a comparison video (as I can't make up my mind buying the set, even for a rather good price: 88 EUR). The guy in the video said, that the booklet mentions an "all-analog recording", but that doesn't mean it's an AAA production/record. As this matter was just discussed 3 pages earlier (and google doesn't help) - it probably not to clarify, isn't it? So, what to make out of it? If it's really AAA I am in for that money. If not, there is the nice 4LP Box Set from Mr. Gilmore for only 52 bucks - but it doesn't contain a book, just a booklet of 24 pages. But nevertheless, it's half the (regular) price of the Pulse set...

Damn, I might buy it anyway, as almost everybody is quite enthusiastic about it. But it would be good to know. I'd never expected it to be fully analog, as all the reissues are digital, but now I am wondering.

BTW, this is the video I am speaking of (4:35 for all-analog):

Cheers, D.

izombie73 likes this.
  13. Echoes Myron

The PULSE set is not AAA. However the sound quality is truly stellar. It is one of the best sounding Pink Floyd reissues. Buy with confidence.

14. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

How could it be AAA is a live recording? Surely they didn't record it on tape did they?

15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

They did.

16. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I haven’t bought the box yet, but the booklet says so. But that would be only one „A“ - my question was about the Charakter in the middle. But that’s answered , THX Ecoes Myron!

It's Felix likes this.
  17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Wow. Good old days!

mr.dave likes this.
  18. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Actually, it was a time where nearly everything was being recorded digitally - they had to explain that they recorded the shows analog because they believed they could get better sound from analog recording, it was pretty surprising to lots of people.

19. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Still no comparison between original and reissue...

20. Echoes Myron

Loan me your original and I will be happy to compare them for you ;)

Dorian75 likes this.
  21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I thought the original pressing was AAA.
    I have both (paid premium price and then the reissue was announced after a couple of months...) and the sound is stellar in both. It's like splitting hairs.

Dorian75, mr.dave, Norco74 and 2 others like this.
  22. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Would love if you expanded on this statement. My original is in cold-storage and though I would love to I really don't have the time to go dig it out to do a comparison (my life is so freaking crazy busy recently).

23. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

From discogs, quoting from the book:

Recorded live in Europe and the UK with Le Voyageur 11 Mobile.
    Mixed at Astoria in Q Sound.
    Mastered at The Mastering Lab.
    This is an analogue recording.

With Thanks to:
    Marc Brickman, Mark Fisher and Robbie Williams and all the crew who worked on the tour between March and October 1994.

What is Q-Sound? Wiki says its an algorithm, so that's a potential digital stage in the process?

Interesting background on Robbie Williams that he started his career as part of Pink Floyd's crew.

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Late to the party here...My wife got me the re release for Christmas. I passed initially having a pristine original set already. I’m knee deep in the later years box but am curious to do an a/ b at some point. What is it about the re release that doesn’t live up?

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Absolutely nothing! The reissue is a fantastic sounding set of vinyl. I do not own an original but would seriously have a hard time believing its that much better. Let us know if you do an A/B!

Echoes Myron, Hattipper and fishcane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.