Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up on Banquet. Order placed, $47 shipped to TX.

2. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Columbia ?

[​IMG]

3. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Yes. Columbia, not Parlophone. My error. [​IMG]

andrewskyDE and Easy-E like this.
  4. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

my preamp has a mono button as well, i tried.
    it is either because of my copy or those passages, which are hard to track precisely. after hearing your needledrop, if sibilance is not tamed by your preamp, i think the original master is not as sibilant as i hear on my copy.
    i had tried everything to improve the sibilant part and the setup plays most of my records nicely. it is hard to believe it is not set up correctly, although there are of course something left to be desired, such as precise azimuth, level, resonance frequency. it can never be too perfect. i think i will move on with my budget setup for now.
    thank you by the way for spending the time to do the needledrop.

5. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I received a copy of this a few days ago and really enjoyed it. It's the only Pink Floyd album I bother revisiting and I generally prefer the mono mix (though the stereo is what I first fell in love with). My pressing seemed to be pretty flawless and sounded even better / quieter when I summed the stereo channels of my needledrop to mono in Audacity.

I don't get the fretting about the packaging in this thread at all. For the price (and it's still available at list price from reputable sellers in Europe - I picked it up a couple of days after RSD and the store I bought it from still has copies available) it's a very nice package, and it's easy to store the hype stickers in the outer envelope and keep everything pristine in a plastic sleeve if you just fold the rear flap down without reinserting it into its hole. Everything's readily accessible for the rest of your life without any additional wear and tear on the packaging.

6. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    vudicus likes this.
  7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Definitely a big improvement when summed, much easier on the ears.
    The un-summed version was not pleasant at all.

8. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

love this reissue and happy to report that the album has finally clicked with me after numerous attempts in the past! Still seeing numerous copies of this around in Australia, happy to do a trade for The Stones Satanic Rsd edition if anyone has a spare copy and is keen

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This is a fantastic release, so much better than the mono CD that came out years ago.

10. tronds

tronds Forum Resident

Does anybody know if Bernie Grundman cut this using a mono tape machine/cutting chain? I've needledropped my copy and when listening back I hear some artifacts that to my ears sounds like a tapesplice, aka audible in one channel and then the other. A possible answer to this could be that the mono tape is played on a stereo machine, and while the audiosignal is mono, the stereo playback machine would pick up stuff like tapesplices in stereo. It could of course just be me hearing things or due to my setup, but I found those small artifacts weird.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Keep in mind the mono button may not function for the tape out if that is what someone is using for the needledrop.

scobb and dahoo like this.
  12. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

yeah, that's also what the manual says. i am using preamp out for needledrop not tape out so that i can adjust recording levels.

scobb and Hymie the Robot like this.
  13. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

PteroDon likes this.
  14. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip off , snagged , 13 remaining...

15. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Glad to be of help, some vultures on ebay and discogs are asking stupid money

16. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil Forum Resident

Snagged one also, thank you!

17. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

If you have a removable headshell, I'd recommend getting a "true mono" cartridge, (which will also help with removing a lot of noise from vintage mono Lp's). This has the advantage of not summing vertical stylus movement, (which you don't need with mono, and is usually just extraneous noise). But beware a lot of supposed "Mono" carts just bridge the left & right channels.

I bought a cheap mono cart Audio Tecnica AT-3/Lp. While the AT Mono3 is true mono, it does have some vertical compliance so you can play stereo records with it without worrying about hurting them.

The first half of Scarecrow also sounds a bit edgy in stereo, and is improved on the mono cart.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Just for the record, I have also purchased many items from them and I have always been impressed with their service.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Disagree here. The cost/benefit of true mono cartridge is quite low - unless one has a fairly large collection of pre-1968 mono records. And even then it’s not worth it IMO.

Easy-E likes this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Anything other than a mono cart' is simply a "shortcut" and works OK as such.

The only way to fully benefit from a mono record is with the use of a mono cart.

Mono buttons, double Y cables do not fully bring the listener the full benefit of the listening experience.

Beside a removable headshell other options are a second arm / cart' mounted on the deck or failing that as an option of a second deck set for mono.

As for cost, depends on the size now and future plans of mono purchasing but like all record playback its tough to not look to improve that playback along the way.

EdogawaRampo and Devilscucumber like this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I had no issues either and it arrived well before the projected date.

22. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Ha ha, I built a plinth to accommodate two tonearms so I could run mono and stereo, two separate phono stages, and I've only got a crate of mono records, but I must say that I had about 10 pretty beat up mono's that I could not listen to due to wear and noise with a stereo cart that suddenly were completely OK with the mono including orig mono Surrealistic Pillow, Procol Harum , UK Sgt Peppers & Revolver, Yardbirds and Monkees. Really saved me a lot of money, and I know I an salvage more rough looking mono records.

Mad shadows and Gordon Johnson like this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I recently added a "better" stereo cart and arm to the TT and this is saving me money on replacing older and worn stereo records as they sound so much better. So I "relegated" my older arm to a second arm on the TT and added an Ortofon 2M mono cart. Like you I can now play a lot more of my mono LP's without any issue at all. I can also save on buying second hand mono records as I was passing on these as they sounded too rough on the stereo side!

The benefits of a relatively cheap mono set up is beyond expectation even if there is only a few mono cut records in the collection.
    And TRUE mono play back is quite an experience.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  24. woodyfan

woodyfan Forum Resident

Just got mine from Juno, and EXACT same issues (other than no skips, thankfully, but a couple moments of unstable pitch, and quite a bit of noise on run-ins on both sides).

25. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Bought a copy through Banquet in the UK, no problems whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.