Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Eleven EU copies offered for sale by US sellers as I write.

2. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not that reasonable when you factor in shipping.

E.Baba and Gumboo like this.
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Well, Record Store Day IS meant to get people in record stores.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I specifically said US copies.

UK copies had a higher list price and it costs money for one to get to the US. So a US seller charging $60 for an EU copy isn’t really gouging IMO.

5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They're the same pressing. Also, if you'd bothered looking at the EU copies offered by US sellers before replying, you'd have noticed Mint copies going for as low as $25. Pays to check before making an opinion.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief, are you really doubling down on this?

I don’t see any copy (US or EU) for sale on Discogs for less than $50 incl s&h to the US. And unless Ukraine and the Russian Federation were recently ratified as the 51st & 52nd states, the cheapest EU copy on Discogs from an actual US seller is $60.50 (incl s&h).

So not only don’t you have your facts correct, but you’re missing the point entirely because you didn’t actually read what I wrote.

Yes I know they’re the same pressing; but they are a different bar code and more importantly, the COST of a EU copy at retail was considerably higher than the COST of a US copy at retail. So anyone with an EU barcode copy likely invested more in that copy than someone with a US copy. Then in order for that EU copy to get to the US in order for an actual US seller to sell that EU copy, they would have invested, let’s say, ~$15 or more to get it here. So you take the EU retail cost + s&h...is $60 is really “gouging”.

So you might ask...”then why aren’t US copies sold by US sellers cheaper if they had a cheaper list price and they didn’t have to get them to the US to sell”? Because...”there aren’t many US copies for US sellers to sell”. Does that ring a bell?

Tommyboy, AnalogJ, puelche and 9 others like this.
  7. Colocally

I had every intention to but then I was called into work for an emergency.

8. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

I too just got a bent cover from MovieMars... not of this title, but Van Morrison's Alternative Moondance. It probably didn't help that they were selling the EU version with the flimsier cover, and not the sturdier U.S. version. Oddly enough, the box it came in appeared unbent, so I don't know if the damage was in transit or before. But my hopes sank as soon as I felt the LP knocking around in the flimsy cardboard with no other support. I would buy other media from them but never an LP again.

John D. likes this.
  9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You got there too late. There was at least one copy for sale from a US seller offered for $25 with $5 shipping to the US. Some one was a little quicker on the uptake and snatched it. Looks like I didn't post in vain !
    And, no, the cost of a US pressing was NOT significantly higher in the US : my local store sourced copies from the EU AND the US. One batch was sold for 23 Euros, the other 25 (I didn't ask which was which).

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Is it true that this Piper Mono was a first release on Record Store Day, and a general release is coming?

11. Colocally

No one knows. People are just hoping.

E.Baba likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief. Still missing the point.

Retail price in the US was $22.99. Retail price in the UK was £29.99 (or ~$41 in late April). If look hard enough and you’re lucky enough, you’ll find an outlier. That still doesn’t make it gouging if a US seller is charging $60.

superstar19 likes this.
  13. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

There will probably be a general release later but if it matters to you it is unlikely it come with the extra packaging or gold label. it is all guess work. They may not release it again and and just sell the stereos.

John D. and zinan like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think it will still have the gold label - if it happens.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they only printed up 21k of the outer RSD slipcases and posters - and pressed 25k or 30k of the basic LP. So there are 5k-10k (or whatever) sitting in a warehouse waiting for the optimal time to get released into the wild...like, say, Black Friday.

But who knows?

15. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The European price I saw in several places was EUR 23, which is what I bought it at, and the postage (to New Zealand) worked out at EUR 2.50 when split with the other items I was ordering. Which is WAY cheaper than buying a copy from the US would have been, if one were even available at list price.

16. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

CWillman and ODShowtime like this.
  17. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I certainly hope not:D

18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

How in the world is that "the point" ? Who said anything about gouging ? The only point that's worth making is this one : copies of this pressing are more plentiful than it initially seemed and, as a result, their prices are dropping. A $25 copy was sold today, wait a while and others will follow. Sellers won't keep their copies at $60 forever.

19. powissquare

powissquare Forum Resident

The RSD version is good. Just compared to the original Mono- the original mono is louder at the same settings with more detail. But if I didn't have that I'd be more than happy with the RSD version which is better than the 90's mono that i used to have.

Also the Gnome on the original on the "look at the sky' bit - the xylophone or whatever it is is a lot clearer so takes the edge off the vocal.

Project deck Marantz amp - not audiophile quality I know..

dkmonroe, Tommyboy, alx7 and 2 others like this.
  20. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I paid $47.00(including shipping) from Banquet in the UK. As far as I am concerned, it's worth every penny seeing as I didn't have to wait in some dumb line for hours just to possibly have a chance to buy one. I avoid RSD like the plague. I know it gets people into record shops, but it is certainly not my cup of tea. Yuck!

mr.dave likes this.
  21. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

True. Waiting in line for hours to finally came back home empty handed.

No I won’t line up and sleep overnight in front of a store for tickets, t-shirt, vinyl, free beer...

Found a reasonable priced copy at Juno.

markmck79 likes this.
  22. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me : went to RSD around noon, Piper had sold out. I ordered from Juno as well, paid more than I would have at my store, but that seems fair, all things considered. You snooze, you pay shipping costs !

Norco74 likes this.
  23. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

It’s called a celesta. It’s a keyboard instrument used in orchestras.

powissquare and Kalli like this.
  24. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I didn’t sleep over, I was there an hour before opening... Looks like people camped overnite to get their stuff.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  25. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

This.

rontoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.