Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

LOL. Canada is between USA and Alaska, so you all know!

BarbershopRaga and Mazzy like this.
  2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I grew up driving south to visit Canada.

Norco74 and BarbershopRaga like this.
  3. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I’m afraid I hijacked this thread with a halfhearted joke about why Europe (whether or not that includes the UK) seems to have had more copies of the RSD Piper than the US. I defer on the topic of the soul of the band.

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

This is a total shot in the dark but does anyone know what monitors were being used in the mastering facilities at Abbey Road circa 1967?

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I listened to it this morning. Sounds good though I’m not sure it sounds different from the CD. Possibly a bit more bass? I’m going to have to A/B them. Anyone make a comparison?

Norco74 likes this.
  6. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I bought one today from Discogs. It was $70 Canadian but I had to buy from Italy. Cheapest copy I could find.

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I hung mine up. Unfortunately Syd looks rather dorky in that photo.

8. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it was Altec 605A's in 612 cabinets at Abbey Road during the 1960s, according to Vintage studio monitors? - Page 3 - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community but not sure if Floyd were in Studio 2 or 3, so assuming the same monitors?

Frozensoda likes this.
  9. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Okay.

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was hearing sibilance too but my hearing is damaged. Esses often sound distorted to me so I wasn’t sure if it was me or the record.

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Okay. Only brought it up because you’d compared it to an early UK pressing.

12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

13. AlienRendel

Yeah, but that's recording. I believe Abbey Road had smaller rooms that were used for most of the actual mixing, and certainly they had special disc cutting rooms for mastering.

14. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

just grabbed a brand new copy from the US on discogs for $50... Very happy with that price

andrewskyDE and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  15. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

Yes, exactly. Here’s the Floyd behind the studio 3 mixing console:
    [​IMG]
    Those look like 15” coaxial Altecs but I don’t think those are 612 cabinets.

At any rate, the above monitors were reputedly not quite up-to-snuff so it’s likely the monitors in the mixing/mastering rooms were of a higher caliber.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    andrewskyDE and AlienRendel like this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Liner notes, Ron

17. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

LOL probably why they silhouetted it

18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

wasn't it Syd who designed the back cover and silhouette?

19. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I want to hear more impressions and comparisons. Does it sound better than a typical US Tower? On the same level as the Grumdman stereo? I have the 3 disc CD box set somewhere but I don’t remember listening critically to the mono mix.

20. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

From Superdeluxeedition:

“This is a new mono remaster by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman. The vinyl masters were cut in 2018 from the original analogue mono master tape.”

True or false?
    Excuse me if this was covered earlier.

21. AlienRendel

Finally got to listen to my copy this afternoon. Dead quiet vinyl, really nice sound and it is distinctly different in many ways from the more familiar stereo mix. The only other version of the mono mix I have heard is from the 3CD anniversary set from 2007. This is a really nice presentation.

psychedelicpiper likes this.
  22. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Just chipping in - if you’re in Hong Kong it might be worth checking White Noise records in Mong Kok (assuming you haven’t already). They were one of the only HK stores participating in RSD and ‘might’ have mono Piper in stock.

White Noise Records

Marc Perman likes this.
  23. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I didn't manage to get a copy of Piper, but I was given a free Johnny Cash Early Singles RSD album. I was pleasantly surprised; I'm not familiar with his music, but this is a great opportunity to familiarize myself with some of his music (and thus understand why my mom always wanted to watch him on tv all those years ago).:nyah:

24. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Another poster complained of a level variation in "Flaming" and I compared the new LP to a rip of an early UK pressing and discovered that the level variation is just part of the mono mix and wasn't a mistake by Bernie Grundman. AAA isn't really relevant to my point, I think he mistook a mix variation for a mastering error.

psychedelicpiper and AlienRendel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.