Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

I know this is knit-picky but since they had the original photo, I wonder why they didn’t “complete” the silhouette for the foil-embossed cover. The flat-cropped bottom looks kinda dumb.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

False. It's the 2007 digital transfer by Guthrie and Plante, which Grundman cut to vinyl. Why else would Grundman need two other engineers if he had the analogue tape to cut from?

I've had the chance to listen to the CD and a good sounding rip of the vinyl (thanks whoever you are), side by side. Apart from a little extra headroom on the vinyl, they're damn near identical

Not that I'm complaining, I like this mastering very much and will be trying hard to get my hands on a copy because the packaging looks very nice and will complement my '94 stereo CD and 2007 box set nicely

3. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Thanks for responses to my earlier inquiry; you all paid less than I did. I managed to finally win a bid on eBay today--$72 combined price + shipping from a US source.

I have to believe prices will continue to rise in the coming days and weeks.

marcb likes this.
  4. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

So full disclosure would read the vinyl masters were cut in 2018 from a 2007 digital transfer made from the original analogue mono master tape

5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Scored a copy from a nice person who bought it but wasn't on his wishlist. $28 shipped.

Sorry, but im excited to finally be getting this release.

To those still waiting A friend told me his record store clerk told him it's getting a June re-release. So if you can wait.

6. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

That has never been one of my favorite pics of the band for exactly that reason.

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Being "knit-picky" could result in spinning quite a yarn out of this thread. Speaking of which - I was at an exhibit at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston a few years ago and saw a work of art where the artist had completely unraveled the groove of a 45rpm 7" single, and used the unraveled groove to knit. Cool, eh? But I digress.

BarbershopRaga likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The silhouette image is much more compelling than the original photo, but it's nice to see what the original photo looked like. I've always been curious about it.

9. Otis1974

Otis1974 Forum Resident

Sorry, I just saw your question. I work in Raleigh so I deal with that store mostly and they are the ones that helped me with the Bowpromo last year.

I saw copies of the Marty Wilson Piper at both stores so I imagine either would be willing to help you. Both stores are owned by the same person and he floats between stores.

Charles

10. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Add me to the list that hung the poster up. Unfortunately the angle makes Syd's legs look significantly truncated and it was a generally dorky period for the band anyways. All part of the charm of Syd's Floyd I guess, I personally love it

11. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

It’s a short trip from there to Folsom Prison and San Quentin.

12. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I might be wrong, but I was sure that EMI were using Tannoys at that point. I've seen pics of Studio 2 from slightly later ('71 I think) where the monitors are definitely Tannoy Monitor Silvers, albeit in different - Lancaster type - cabs, on open frame stands. Aren't those cabs Lockwwod Majors? Side note, Nick Mason mentions in his book that one of the things that impressed them most about Sound Techniques was that the monitors were loaded with Tannoy Monitor Reds.

Edit - Just looked on Lockwood's site: Lockwood loudspeakers they mention Floyd as one of the bands who used them. Could have been later on, but those cabs look right to me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    BarbershopRaga likes this.
  13. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Not sure I understand!:sigh:

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OK, I finally opened this thing and am seriously underwhelmed by the "limited edition packaging". Or to quote another English eccentric: "Much ado about nothing":evil:

An oversized envelope that looks like one of those cut out cardboards from children's magazines ("Make your own sleeve! It's easy!!") and whose main function seems to be to be a pita in handling. They could at least have given this a colourful print on the inside to make it look nicer and throw in some replicas of period flyers etc. Or an "Arnold Layne" 7". Then there's the "poster". Even though I hesitate to call anything that's smaller than a theatrical release poster, a poster at all. This whole thing looks like they had some great ideas.... and suddenly ran out of money:biglaugh:

At least the thing housed within does look nice and heavy and flat and even comes in a polyliner. Now I need to play it:righton:

15. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Enjoy it - it sounds awesome :)

Kalli, Man at C&A and Neonbeam like this.
  16. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Agreed, I’ll end up throwing it away as it’s just a burden.

Neonbeam and yarbles like this.
  17. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

+1. I was thinking of maybe roaching it, but the card is slightly too thick.

Oh, and did anyone else get a defective inner sleeve? The black paper part of mine is kind of warped and bubbling. Very disappointing!

But seriously...all this talk of 'sibilance' on The Gnome makes me wonder just how many people have even heard the album before, mono or stereo...or taken a trip. Whatever!

18. Onder

Onder Senior Member

This is not Abbey Road Studio 3. It's De Lane Lea studios. October 1967, IIRC.

Ondra

19. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Yep, recording Remember A Day, Jugband Blues and Vegetable Man

BarbershopRaga and Onder like this.
  20. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

New forum member here, so please be gentle :)

I got the Piper album on RSD, I already have the 2007 CD release of the Mono mix, and found the vinyl to be better due to the headroom etc. Also the Mono mix against the stereo mix is totally different on some songs. Mathilda Mother and Intersteller Overdrive to name just 2.

One thing I am pretty peeved about however is the jacket. I collected all the Beatles mono remasters and the packaging was identical to the originals, complete with flip back covers. The Piper and Saucer reissues have flip backs.... PRINTED ON. Cheap and nasty, and in my opinion selling themselves short. OK, I can maybe understand it with the Stereo reissues, but with the limited Mono reissue I would like to have seen the packaging reproduced, with attention to detail like they did with the Beatles. Other than that, The mono Piper gets my thumbs up...... Great album, and a must in Mono if you've only got the Stereo pressing.

21. paolo

paolo Senior Member

I wandered into a local record store at lunchtime today (Monday) and picked up a mono Piper. Feeling quite pleased with myself to be honest :)

22. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Why De Lane Lea? Rather inferior to EMI's facilities at the time...was there no time available at Abbey Road?

23. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Good for you, only you seem to be the one turning this into a political debate.

LivingForever likes this.
  24. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

To express it in terms our American cousins might best understand, we English - or, at a push, Brits - are best viewed as the Waldorf and Statler of Europe.

25. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Yeah, not sure what to do with the envelope, for now I just keep the package together as it is.

Should probably just ignore your remark about wheter people who complained about the sibilance have actually heard the album before, but still.
    In my case you can put it down as a memory problem.
    I was just thinking how great this version sounded till I heard "The Gnome" and somehow the sibilance distracted me.
    I can't remember it it was on any of the versions I have and if I got annoyed by it before, but it stood out now.

As said I haven't heard the mono version for a long time, tho I did listen to the stereo album fairly recenlty.
    But I have no problem putting the stereo album, and mono cd on again to do a comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.