Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Without getting political, scientifically, England shares the same continental shelf as Europe, therefore it is part of Europe, no matter what the local Brits say to differentiate between the two.

[​IMG]

2. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

Anybody pick one up from Bullmoose? I didn't bother to look.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Just looked at Bullmoose and it's sold out.

4. sasu

sasu Well-Known Member

Just managed to get a copy. I went through all RSD shops in Helsinki, Finland. Shopkeepers told me, that it`s very unlikely to find any becouse they sold so fast. Luckily my bicycle tour ended well. Last shop I visited still had two copies left. I have listened the album twice now and must say that sound quality and pressing is amazing

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Not that I'm really invested in the debate, but that's how I've always thought of it - Britain being largely independent because of its island status, but having a flexible political relationship to the rest of Europe. I rather think that before the whole EU and common market thing, Britons would have corrected anyone who claimed that they were part of Europe, the continental shelf notwithstanding.

6. dkmonroe

Don't throw it out, hold on to it until a general release happens, then get the general release copy and sell the RSD LP with the packaging. I bet even with a general release you'll at least make your money back.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Not a bad idea, you honestly think people would be that fussed over it. If it gets a general release then I would of thought the value of an RSD goes down.

Norco74 likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

Does that even need to be pointed out? C'mon, there's a lot of people out there who are COLLECTORS. They'll pay $30 for a CD with a slightly differently tinted disc label. Will there be hundreds of people beating down your door for the RSD exclusive? Nah, but someone will want it. I confidently predict that after the general release happens, there will be a sizable number of people here who will buy the bare-bones generally released LP and enjoy it but the fact that they don't have the exclusive RSD issue will bug them, and they'll happily pay for one. Again, they won't pay hundreds of dollars for it, but it's not going to go down in value to where you have to sell it as a loss. Just rip it and store it and someone will at least recoup your investment in a few months, perhaps even give you a small profit.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

UK retailers are not allowed to sell items online for a week. So they will be listing their leftovers on 28th April. There may be loads in the UK that go online then so it may be worth waiting.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  10. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Surely if I rip it the value goes down.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I don't know if it was ever even posted on Bullmoose although I didn't check until 7:05. The Eno/Shields doesn't look like it was either which surprised me. Looks like it's harder to get stuff online like this this time than past years, although maybe I just wanted less hard to get titles in the past. Hope those who didn't get Piper are able to for a reasonable price.

scobb likes this.
  12. dkmonroe

Not THAT kinda rip! :laugh:

Tuck1977 likes this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are Japanese people not Asian? :)

LivingForever likes this.
  14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

There are liner notes on the album sleeve?

15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Often times they do not think so. The cult of the unique lives on in some quarters.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

On the 2018 release? Yes, there are. You'll find that on the reverse cover it says: "Remastered from the original mono analogue tapes by James Guthrie and Joel Plante at das boot recording," (pause here for the transfer to digital ;)) "and Bernie Grundman Mastering, 2018."

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It seems likely that residents of island nations tend to see themselves as "separate."

18. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Although I have only read your posts in this thread, you do seem very English/British. I would not suggest otherwise.:)

Deek57 likes this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

So it sounds like not only did they use the old transfer, but even the old remastering. Then Bernie mastered that old remastering to vinyl in 2018. I'm good with my CD then. And will wait to see if maybe they release a hi-res download.

bobloblaw likes this.
  20. Dozey

Dozey Active Member

Yes agreed. The British isles are a part of Europe. The Floyd are an English band and a European band. However some brits define European bands as bands from Europe excluding the UK, which is where some confusion can occur. People claiming the UK is not part of the continent of Europe are misinformed geographically and culturally.

21. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I was sooooo outraged that 'Piper' isn't AAA that I threw it onto my driveway and ran it over sooo many times with my Tesla that it turned to dust. I did keep that poster, tho. Somebody said it was analog with no sssssssssibilance.

22. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

My amazon.ca order from yesterday shipped just before.

I woke up this morning to see if it would appear on bullmoose. No luck.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The vinyl and CD do sound really, really, really similar to me. If there is any difference, I'd say it's probably just a little less peak-limiting on the vinyl, based on the rip I have... but to level-match them, I only had to turn down the CD about 1 or 2 dB, which isn't that much extra dynamics, really... if you missed out on this pressing and just want the music, the 2007 CD is not hard to find at all

24. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Which shop in Helsinki had it?

sasu likes this.
  25. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Please stop debating UK/ Europe relationships in here. A sensitive political subject that can easily turn nasty. This is really not the place for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.