Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think the same! 'Telly time' is too logical for that part.

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

As I recently got the Germin/ation box it says that this and similar photos were from the Saucerful album cover photo shoot sessions in London instead of Brussels, looks like they were in woods more than once back in the day.^^

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sell them to me!! ;)

pablo fanques and daveidmarx like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I repeatedly watched the audio-visual stuff from Germin/ation and Dramatis/ation (which is awesome as hell!) and to me it looks like Roger was, indeed, becoming the semi-official front man already back then.
    He also held more interviews than Dave back then, I think.
    And, you can hear him announcing songs even earlier in the Stockholm performance in 1967 (but I think Syd was too shy to talk to the audience as well?).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

lol. This is even better!^^

6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Van problem.

I can see that many people would have liked the van. So, I had an idea. Looking at the photo of Nick M loading the van, I worked out that with the sliding door and the semi-covered rear wheel that it looked like a Bedford CA. Their van had side indicators but here's a period photo of a CA with the right door design..

[​IMG]

If I am correct. You could buy a classic model like the Corgi version of the van:

Corgi CC02601 50th Anniversary Bedford CA Van model- MINT | eBay »

Or this site has new Bedford CAs for 5.99.

Bedford CA Van Duple Motor Bodies Ltd | 1:76 Diecast Model Car »

You could paint your own. DIY.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

lol. For the first seconds I was thinking you mentioning these prices for a real van, haha!
    Anyway, that's a great alternative idea! Shame that only a couple of toy vans were made for promotional use only... It's crazy how much these rarities cost on Ebay and co now, these people sometimes...

8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If they only made a few , it seems to me that they would approached a manufacturer of such toys who already had a CA Bedford that could be painted to the PF's requirements. The question is then, who?

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Ironically, much to Waters' chagrin, it was Gilmour who ultimately gained control of the band and became the face of the band for a time.

marmalade166 and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I believe it's "Telly time," the T sounds are very clear on this new mix.

11. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Dance Songs was at least Mid iirc
    Same here. I'm interested, just haven't had time yet. I've had the box since it came out. I've only gotten through the audio and video of the first two sets. Pretty good so far.

I have a lot of distractions in my family home life so I've been getting through it slowly. I've also been getting through the stones mono box that I got the same week concurrently (I'm more through that one at this point).

Hattipper likes this.
  12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Kinda like McCartney with Lennon...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I think even the "me" on time is clear too. I've only listened once and it was a couple weeks ago, but it seemed crystal clear to me on that pass. And my hearing ain't even that great..

rontoon likes this.
  14. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Watching Dramatis/ation DVD right now, the January 1969 french TV show. It's really great to see this, even if it's playback. The first show presenter is Philippe Koechlin, founder of the french magazine Rock'n'Folk, of which i'm still a subscriber. The interviewer is Philippe Paringaux, one of the best french rock critics of the seventies, and a big Pink Floyd fan at the time. Dave speaks so good french, it's really a pleasure. The playback seems to be the LP stereo mix folded down to mono (Set the controls 'seagulls').
    I'm really impatient to watch what follows.

15. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I was speaking of the track "If" itself not the whole album,it seems to have a ton more than any other song,I noticed this all the way back to my first copy decades ago.

16. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

That's some good fidelity for an 8 Track.

17. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

Sorry if this was answered somewhere in the last 170 page.....
    I managed to get the 2.1 G .mkv file of meddle off the blu ray.
    But now I'm stuck as to how to get in on a dvd so I can play the 5.1 sound.
    I'm on OSX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all sorts of conversions
    and nothing seems to get me closer to playing the thing.

18. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

The only problem with this is if you are trying to make a cover like what would have been if it were released around when it was recorded Pink Floyd would nvere have had their faces on the cover, or allowed Harvest to make an album with their pictures anywhere but inside the sleeve
    It's totally possible, but where do you plan to get these isolated vocals from?
    I find it interesting all this discussion/speculation on the lyrics to this song. I've always considered them to be nonsense, and really don't care what the words are. If I sing along I sing phonetically with no attention paid to the content of the words.
    Sparse? A horn section and choir are sparse? The horns are on side 2 as well. Also, I recorded a cover of If many years ago and it took a full 8 tracks to do so. Even with that I had to make some of the same compromises they made because there weren't enough tracks (cutting off the harmony parts of the lead guitars the 2nd time around to make room for the vocals)

In anticipation of someone asking me if they can hear my cover of If, here it is.

MEGA »

John Peace (me): guitars, organ, piano & backing vocals third verse
    Justin Eulrich: Bass & hihat
    Lance Drake: lead vocals
    Molly Szymula: backing vocals middle 8

I didn't have a nylon string acoustic guitar, so I turned the high end down on a steel string. Recorded on a Tascam Portastudio 488 8-track cassette recorder

Billy_Sunday and Rekkerds like this.
  19. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Vocals from 'Matilda Mother' can be lifted from the left channel of the stereo mix. That's what they did for the 2010 remix.

I think he's talking about 'If' only.
    Horns on side 2 are in fact a synthetizer.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I made this for my own use actually and just wanted to share it. I honestly had no other solution for having a cover for the Wembley concert.

Glubluk and soop.broth like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay, and I was just guessing because I never heard the album's quad mix except its title track.

amonjamesduul likes this.
  22. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Which brings me to something I've been meaning to ask: What's the difference between the 2010 version and the one on the Piper box (other than the Piper one being in mono and having less reverb)? I can't spot anything different
    the big horn section at the end of Summer '68 is no way a synthesizer. They didn't make them that well back then. Rick plays knows how to play horns, and that's him doing it with multiple overdubs.
    How about a picture of Wembley Stadium? Of course, PF would have just has some weird Hipgnosis abstract photography, but I'd take a pic of Wembley over a pic of the band. So strange to see them on a cover. They never did that since Piper, and because of this most people didn't have any idea what they looked like by 74

23. YOGAMAN6

YOGAMAN6 Member

Here are parameters I used in order to try to improve the "new" Pompeii mix.

I used Careful with that Axe Eugene from Ummagumma as reference (the red line in the background=CWTAE from Ummagumma / the blue line in the background = CWTAE from Pompeii).
    I applied these parameters (=white line) to all the Pompeii tracks and they don't make my ears bleed anymore.

[​IMG]

24. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Finished Dramatis/ation DVD.
    Never seen these stuffs before.
    Highlight : SOS in Essen. Rog is haunted. Full of class.
    Interstellar Zappadrive : what did you say guys ? Historical ? Yes, agree, I think that's it.

Began Devi/ation DVD with quad AHM side 2. I can only have listened to it downmixed to stereo, don't have a multichannel set up. Have already heard this on vinyl, but this new transfer made the experience even better. All tracks sound really good, and 'Fat old Sun' mix brings some new cool parts, which I had forgotten.
    Highlight : Rog's bass on 'Morning Glory', great line. Full of class.

Seems that I only had eyes and ears for Rog this evening ;-)

25. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident